October 13th, 2008

Gun control group backs Obama-Biden

(CNN) – Days after the National Rifle Association backed John McCain’s presidential bid, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and Jim and Sarah Brady announced Monday that they are endorsing Sens. Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

As part of its endorsement of the Democratic ticket, the Brady Campaign says it plans to contact its members and activists across the country and ask them to volunteer and help get out the vote in support of the Obama-Biden ticket and other candidates it is backing for election in November. The group also plans to continue its efforts to fact check advertisements and literature released by the NRA. The 250,000 member group, which did not release a dollar figure for its election-related plans, said TV spots remain one option.

Jim Brady was shot and paralyzed in March 1981 when John Hinckley attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan. After the shooting, the former Reagan press secretary and his wife Sarah became advocates for stronger gun laws.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. mitch

i cancelled my membership with NRA after they endorsed mccain. i may donate to the brady group just because the NRA was lying to me.

October 13, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  2. Vegas Barbie for Obama

A MUCH more powerful endorsement than the NRA folks predictabbly endorsing McPalin.

October 13, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  3. Toni

There's nothing wrong with owning a gun/riffle so long as you maintain responsible care of the weapon. I don't see Obama kicking down doors and demanding you give up your right to bear arms.

That's just stupid and paranoid.

October 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. Lisa, MD

THAT IS GREAT ESPECIALLY I COMMEND MR. & MRS. BRADY .

October 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. TJ

Am glad that Jim and Sarah Brady are endorsing the Obama/Biden
    ticket. There has been so much violence where guns ended up in the wrong hands..so many innocent victims and animals have been killed by guns.

October 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  6. ANGIE

That is excatley what we need STRONGER GUN LAWS Obama doesnt want to take away your guns he just wants to make sure they dont end up in the wrong hands and Inoccent people in schools churches, Employments dont get killed!

October 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  7. Independent White Woman for Obama

"The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals." - Barack Obama (from his convention speech)

October 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  8. Viet Vet

whatever

October 13, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  9. FACTS!!!

Obama doesn't want to take away gun ownership rights, he and I PERSONALLY don't want to get caught up in some ozzie warfare on the streets. Those are the weapons he want a restriction on to protect the innocent from being killed needlessly.

October 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  10. thank you Braddy Group, we need that

that is what Senator Obama is talking about
    gun control meaning responsible use, not like mcbush "go kill ,"

please everyone open your eyes, our children deserve a future and the best one American can give

Obama Biden 08, 12

October 13, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  11. ShirleyY - Seattle

OBAMA IS RIGHT GUNS MUST BE IN THE CAREOF RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE AND NOT CRIMINALS.

INNOCENT PEOPLE HAS BEEN KILLED BECAUSE OF GUNS IN THE WRONG HANDS.

DONT GIVE MCCAIN AND PALIN A GUN, WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY WILL DO.

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  12. Steve

I am a member of the NRA, but I support Obama. There are many NRA members who, like myself, realize that gun control is not the only issue facing this country; indeed, it is not even the most important issue. The NRA , as an entity, tends to be conservative, but many of its members are not conservative. I agree with Toni above.

October 13, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  13. dan - N.M.

Obama will enforce strong gun control, and it's about time for this sick, gun happy country.

October 13, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  14. Common sense

if you've ever been to a hood in the inner city, you would wish that a 16 year old toting a gun would not be able to get access. At that age many are fearless. It takes common sense when it comes to gun control. We do not live in Klans like in Afganistan. We are no longer cowboys in the wild west and we do not hunt for food like in parts of Africa. Exercise common sense.

October 14, 2008 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  15. Swirl

Maybe I'm the "odd-ball", but I think everyone has a right to defend themselves. I'm a licensed gun owner that never leaves home without it, and responsibility lies on me. A few years ago, on CHRISTMAS EVE, I had purchased a used vehicle for my wife and was at a car wash in Detroit, cleaning it up before surprising my wife with her gift. My 2 children were on their way home, and we were about to enjoy a beautiful holiday together. While washing the car, a punk with a gun(I DOUBT HE HAD HIS LICENSE OR HIS FIREARM REGISTERED) approached me from behind. When I turned to notice him, the gun was pointing directly at me. I had no options. That day, God sent me an angel, and I was unharmed. My point is that it was Christmas Eve, and I have a wife and 2 children that almost lost their dad/husband/and friend. If you take away a persons "legal" right to protect themselves, that doesn't take guns away from those in the shadows. Last but not least, as an officer, I have a duty to protect and serve, even while off duty. Its comforting to know that somewhere out there, when I need them the most, God has an angel waiting for me. Even if that angel is a licensed cpl/ccw holder, thank God for them!!!
    You might just thank Him and/or them, should you ever be in a position as I was on that Christmas Eve a few years ago.

October 14, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |