October 13th, 2008

New McCain stump: 'We've got them just where we want them'

McCain is unveiling a new stump speech today.
McCain is unveiling a new stump speech today.

(CNN) – With Election Day just three weeks away, John McCain will unveil a new stump speech Monday that will signal his campaign's closing push. McCain's remarks will speak to the need for Americans to evaluate and consider the new direction this country must take, and which candidate has the proven record, experience and readiness to deliver against growing challenges.

An excerpt from his prepared remarks below:

"Let me give you the state of the race today. We have 22 days to go. We’re 6 points down. The national media has written us off. Senator Obama is measuring the drapes, and planning with Speaker Pelosi and Senator Reid to raise taxes, increase spending, take away your right to vote by secret ballot in labor elections, and concede defeat in Iraq. But they forgot to let you decide. My friends, we’ve got them just where we want them.

"What America needs in this hour is a fighter; someone who puts all his cards on the table and trusts the judgment of the American people. I come from a long line of McCains who believed that to love America is to fight for her. I have fought for you most of my life. There are other ways to love this country, but I’ve never been the kind to do it from the sidelines."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Bill

No John, not really. Say good night. You and Alaska Barbie are pretty much history at this point.

October 13, 2008 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  2. miken

I simply don't trust Obama.

October 13, 2008 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  3. Conner

John – bring your banjo; your base will be able to relate to you better.

October 13, 2008 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  4. Turnabout is fair play

I think I can, I think I can.. You just watch, I..I'll beat your butt, you betcha..as soon as I can get from behind Failin Palin's skirt..

October 13, 2008 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  5. Geogia for Obama

Obama is measuring the drapes in the white house? Funny, from what I've seen he's been talking about the economy.... something McCain should have been doing instead of instigating hate at rallies.

October 13, 2008 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  6. lovable liberal

"we’ve got them just where we want them."

That sounds like something Maxwell Smart would have said when bound hand and foot and hanging upside down off the Empire State Building. The problem for McCain is that Sarah Palin is no agent 99.

October 13, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  7. Jim,Atlanta

Said coach McCain when losing 42-0 with 3 minutes left in the game...."I've got them just where I want them"

October 13, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  8. Ed Word

"We've got them just where we want them?"

The only thing left to measure is the size of the GOP's coffin, my friend.

October 13, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  9. Gary, OH

Yep, they've got me right where they want me... voting for Obama! The arrogancy of this man is appalling, only diminished by his sidekick. I cannot wait for Nov 4 to arrive and long to hear the words "McCain calls Obama to concede"!

October 13, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  10. ginger

"Whip his you know what" That's funny!

October 13, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  11. Kimberly

This man is an idiot. His hateful, disgraceful, divisive language will not go unnoticed. I am a white woman who up until now has been undecided. I will not vote for McCain simply because of his tactics over the last week. And for Sarah Palin I thought she was a Christian she is not acting like it at all. After all she is a mother. How can she be so brazen and mean. She needs to be a role model for her 5 children. This is simply shameful. John McCain is no maverick. He is more of the same.

Obama/Biden 08

October 13, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  12. Tony

Prepare yourself America.

For teh next 3 weeks you are going to hear nothing but lies, accusations, attacks and distortions from McCain and Palin.

They have no answers, no solutions, no ideas and no plan.

Lying, accusing, attacking and distrorting are ALL THEY HAVE LEFT!

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid people and think about your families, your children, yourself and your country before you vote.

If you have been happy and content for the last 8 years, then you should vote for McCain.

If you want to see America set upright, put back on track and moving forward, then the choice is very simple:

Obama /Biden!

October 13, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  13. Donna

YAWN....

October 13, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  14. Thomas

"we’ve got them just where we want them"

Please tell me this is a joke.

I am reminded of the Monty Python skit "it's only a flesh wound"

October 13, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  15. Sarah

McCain's desperate and time is almost out. Expect more garbage from the McLie Express.

October 13, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  16. Jason

"take away your right to vote by secret ballot in labor elections"

what does this mean?

October 13, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  17. Lindsay

And yet, somehow, I'm not impressed. Is it November yet? I'm sick of this guy and his "friends".

October 13, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  18. DebM, Allentown, PA

I just don't understand how people can continue to vote for McCain/Palin. There is not ONE honest word that comes out of Palin's mouth, and both she and McCain are, through their rhetoric, reigniting the race wars of the mid-1900's. They should be ashamed of themselves, and we should be ashamed, as Americans, to give them more than one minute of our time.

Please everyone...we need to try to get our nation on the path back to greatness. Please vote for Obama/Biden and let's begin the healing and rebuilding process.

October 13, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  19. Brandon in NC

It's a little late to change your motto now....

October 13, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  20. Exxon300

Yea right, you old fart. You are falling for your on hype. President Obama has won two debates and common sense says winning two out of three wins, thats if you win the third debate,(idiot) shut up McCain you old bitter dried up prune.

October 13, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  21. ep

McCain couldn't crush an orange, let alone the momentum of the Obama campaign. McCain's tactics are all his own – and they have failed. He's too old, too establishment, too out of touch with the American people and way too off on his judgement skills. Palin comes to mind. This has been a terrible campaign and slander and smear are all they have left. Can't wait to NOT see them on TV or the newspaper. Go Obama!

October 13, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  22. Jayne

THIS is where you want them, John? When the votes are counted and you've lost in a landslide because of your old ideas, mudslinging and lies, will that be where you want them as well?

October 13, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  23. JFK

Your campaign is in disarray Mr McCain. Just the other day you were angry or have you forgotten that already? I think they got you were they want you. Stop wasting our time and either have an honorable campaign as you promised or throw the towel in.

October 13, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  24. November 5

Is a great day for America. Let's fix all of the things that have gone wrong in the last 8 years. It will take a while, but at least we'll have the right people working on it.

The strategy of give money to the rich to help the poor is bankrupt.
    The strategy of going to war to cause peace has been defeated.

October 13, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |