October 13th, 2008

New McCain stump: 'We've got them just where we want them'

McCain is unveiling a new stump speech today.
McCain is unveiling a new stump speech today.

(CNN) – With Election Day just three weeks away, John McCain will unveil a new stump speech Monday that will signal his campaign's closing push. McCain's remarks will speak to the need for Americans to evaluate and consider the new direction this country must take, and which candidate has the proven record, experience and readiness to deliver against growing challenges.

An excerpt from his prepared remarks below:

"Let me give you the state of the race today. We have 22 days to go. We’re 6 points down. The national media has written us off. Senator Obama is measuring the drapes, and planning with Speaker Pelosi and Senator Reid to raise taxes, increase spending, take away your right to vote by secret ballot in labor elections, and concede defeat in Iraq. But they forgot to let you decide. My friends, we’ve got them just where we want them.

"What America needs in this hour is a fighter; someone who puts all his cards on the table and trusts the judgment of the American people. I come from a long line of McCains who believed that to love America is to fight for her. I have fought for you most of my life. There are other ways to love this country, but I’ve never been the kind to do it from the sidelines."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Rosemarie

blablablablabla BLA!!

October 13, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  2. Geeque - Chicago,IL

McShame, your ideas are outdated, you are done, you are just a clone of George Bush.

Vote for Barack Obama.

October 13, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  3. kamenwati

The rantings of a delusional and angry old man. People have been casting votes in this election for the last two weeks. I'm willing to bet the majority of them have not been going to McCain and his ethics violating running mate.

October 13, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  4. Phil

McCain to little to late. It is time for fresh blood in the White House. Obama is that new blood that will bring the change we all have been waiting for.

October 13, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  5. God Bless America

ha ha ha ha.Go tell that to ur moose killing wrong choice of vice president.I use to like you but I dont think you will make a Good President.You have no clue about the 21th century needs.You will make a better elder stateman and veteran.John Sidney McCain Not Good for POTUS.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 13, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  6. Overseas Obama supporter

What makes him think we'll buy it this time... my friend?

October 13, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  7. Michigan Voter

The economy's collapsing. Is he going to address THAT?

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  8. cann

You're a day late and a dollar short, Senator ! Why should any intelligent voter think that you when you woke up yesterday morning, your incompetence since the day you chose Sarah Palin as your running mate was just a dream ? Facts are more powerful than fantasy.

Too little, too late

Obama/Biden 08

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  9. Sherri

Go get em John. May God be with you!

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  10. Mike D

John, you've never fought for anybody in your career except YOURSELF.

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  11. Kiah G

I'm so sick of the tactics and games from this idiot and his supporters. When the American people wake up and realize that McCain has no interest in them only in his latest line of attack. I can't wait for the day when I no longer have to look at this man!

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  12. Rob

Excuse me... I just vomited. You need a long vacation John. A very long vacation. In one of your 11 or 12 houses. Goodbye now. Take Miss Thing with you.

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  13. CR

Sure.... why wouldn't any campaign want to be 10 points down!

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  14. Sway the Course

At this point, no matter how good an idea he might promote, McCain has proven that he is erratic, impatient and reactionary.

After eight years of a cowboy, we can't afford a maverick who shoots form the hip.

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  15. Paige

I feel like I am spinning. Every day it's some new sound bite "An American hero", "the Maverick", "Country First", and "Change is Coming".

There's another one? Poor bastard. He just doesnt get it.

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  16. STEFANY

Sure just like the last two debates, huh Johnnie!

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  17. Joey, MN

HEADLINE: "Delusional old man barks at any camera willing to point at him."

October 13, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  18. CAROL from greensboro, nc

it doesn't matter what strategy mccain comes up with, obama is the coolest dude on the planet, and he will stick with the issues, mccain's name-calling has only worked on the ignorant and uninformed people who still have a stigma about black people or people of any other color. what time has taught me is if you wait long enough, bigotry will die out. so many of them are already dead.

October 13, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  19. Random Dude

Dude,
    First up, try to keep Arizone in the GOP column. Going by the looks of it, Obama is gonna whip 'you you know what' in your home state.

Gallup poll shows Barack opening up a 10 point lead.

I guess the economy is not the only thing you are out of touch about

October 13, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  20. Anonymous

Wow.

October 13, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  21. Tab Cocovillea

Let the insanity begin... or in his case, contnue.

October 13, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  22. Sandro

McCain's appeal to emotions may unfortunately only resonate with his racist and intollerant base; however, the undecided will need substance; which is not part of McCain's vocabulary. Bush appealed to emotions as well, and look where we are now... you can see that in politics it is imperative to think with a brain and not with emotions.

Obama: the only rational political choice for America

PS: I do tremendously respect McCain's service for our country. I was in the military too, and beleive that service should be part of everybody's lives.

October 13, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  23. Diane

I guess it's a good thing to be optimistic. Anyone that has changed his mind as much as "this one" is not fit to run this country. How on earth could you trust his decision??? Sen. Obama has ran a consistent, disciplined approach to his campaign, a way that I personally feel he will run this country and get us out of this mess. Anyone who votes for the McCain/Palin ticket does not care about their own personal welfare. check the facts...... McCain/Palin lie, lie, lie.

October 13, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  24. Neal

I feel like being AHEAD by 6 is right where you want to be, but I may be wrong.

October 13, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  25. ELF

It all sounds go to be ready to "take it him", Obama that is. But it is hard to fight or argue alone. That has been a point of strength for Obama and one of contention for McCain. You can stand, rant and rave all you want, but when the fervency is not returned, you're at a loss. It is frustrating not to be able to get under someone else's skin.

October 13, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |