October 13th, 2008

New McCain stump: 'We've got them just where we want them'

McCain is unveiling a new stump speech today.
McCain is unveiling a new stump speech today.

(CNN) – With Election Day just three weeks away, John McCain will unveil a new stump speech Monday that will signal his campaign's closing push. McCain's remarks will speak to the need for Americans to evaluate and consider the new direction this country must take, and which candidate has the proven record, experience and readiness to deliver against growing challenges.

An excerpt from his prepared remarks below:

"Let me give you the state of the race today. We have 22 days to go. We’re 6 points down. The national media has written us off. Senator Obama is measuring the drapes, and planning with Speaker Pelosi and Senator Reid to raise taxes, increase spending, take away your right to vote by secret ballot in labor elections, and concede defeat in Iraq. But they forgot to let you decide. My friends, we’ve got them just where we want them.

"What America needs in this hour is a fighter; someone who puts all his cards on the table and trusts the judgment of the American people. I come from a long line of McCains who believed that to love America is to fight for her. I have fought for you most of my life. There are other ways to love this country, but I’ve never been the kind to do it from the sidelines."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Real Talk

Yeah. Who doesnt't love getting beat in the homestretch.
    Either your just trying to convince yourself. Or lying as usual.

October 13, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  2. Ty

Well Sen. McCain,

I am currently stationed in Iraq and I have seen true leadership here. I have seen men perform under pressure. I would never follow you anywhere because you do not represent the qualities that produce great leaders.

My vote is for Barack Obama all the way from Iraq.

October 13, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  3. Independent Dave, Iowa

Too little, too late.

No Sarah Palin!

October 13, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  4. Jason

lolwut? The other guy is leading by ten (not six as McCain wishes), including (and more importantly in terms of actual victory) in nearly all of the battlegrounds, he's raising millions more than you, your running mate was just found to have abused her power as governor, and OBAMA is in trouble?

Out of touch, out of time. Sorry, McCain. You're no fighter anymore. You sold your soul to win and have lost both your honor and your chance for victory.

October 13, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  5. That Other Jerry

The name-callers who populate the forums and the pundits who love to seem oh-so-wise keep forgetting that this election is decided by votes, not volume level. This is a much closer contest than those who make the noise would have us believe. The candidates get it, because they're out in the real world talking to real voters. That's why McCain still sounds positive, and why Biden has begged the Clintons out of retirement.

October 13, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  6. JB, Nashville, TN

McCain would make a lousy coach. "OK team, we're down 30 points with 3 minutes to go - we've got 'em right where we want 'em!" He would also make a lousy president. He is, in fact, right where I want him.

October 13, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  7. sensi johnson

Do these guys really think the American people are stupid?

October 13, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  8. Penny

And yet another brilliant idea from the McCain camp!! Woo Hoo!

October 13, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  9. Holly B

I'm not the media, I am an independent, born again Christian, white and a woman with one foot on Wall Street and the other on Main Street. I have definitely written John McCain off as someone who has demonstrated the worse judgement on several different crucial decisions and see him as totally unfit to lead this country through the many serious difficulties ahead. That was before he began the divisive smear and fear tactics....I'm even more certain now.

No way, no how, no McCain and most definitely, no Palin.

October 13, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  10. DEBBY, NJ

John McShame is a JOKE
    BARACK THE VOTE AMERICA :)

October 13, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  11. Spencer/Commonwealth of Virginia

McCain must have taken some majic shrooms because he is in la la land. He hasn't won any of the debates, what makes him tin he'll win this one. Dillusional old man.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 13, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  12. Alex

Do me a favor Senator McCain. I once supported you, but have now seen your brand of campaigning and leadership...say one thing and do the other. As a Republican, I don't need you or George W. Bush to fight for me. I can do a better job without you. You can keep all your ego stroking ideals of winning a war and saving the world. The people of American deserve better.

October 13, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  13. mystyph

LOL!!!

October 13, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  14. Dennis

What an enormous ego.

October 13, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  15. bruce

Now he wants to put his cards on the table... Sen. McCain has been gambling his campaign away. He is the risk taker. He doesn't have a stable grip on his campaign or the economy. Now in the last minute he wants to throw the dice on one hair-brain idea after another... gimmick after gimmick...

The game is over, Sen. McCain. The S.S. McCain has sunk and you, your running mate and the policies of Geogre Bush are drowning...

We are not going to throw you another life-line...

Independent for Change, Independent for Obama/Biden...

October 13, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  16. Gobama/Biden '08

Considering McCain hasn't done anything for us in the past month except flounder in his own sea of terrible ideas, i doubt this final push will win him the election. He needs Obama to really mess up for him to win. And sadly for him, Obama isn't sitting on the side lines, he's unveiling his own plans today, too. Sorry McSame, you're a month too late.

October 13, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  17. muffy

Nothing but hate and lies from this corrupt, jealous old man.

October 13, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  18. Vincent, North Carolina

Sen. McCain, just don't be the same idiot from debate number 2 and use words such as "that one." Of course, Im not voting for you, but if you want to turn this around, try talking about something you haven't already. People are tired of hearing the same ol' "crap" come out of your mouth. You've got to do something unexpected. All in all, I know Obama will win this debate, and further more he will win this election. Good luck!

Obama/Biden '08

October 13, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  19. Carla

McCain please stop begging the American people to overlook your 72-year record of mediocrity. You have never been the "cream of the crop" and you have given us no reason to believe you will begin to exercise any type of intellectual approach to the countries problems now. Your family name won't be enough this time!

October 13, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  20. Tired of W, OH

Snore......Wake me up on November 4th so I can go the polls and tell McCain where to stick his stump speech.

October 13, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  21. PJ

He is certainly a maverick with changing his campaign. Mccain is a joke, he used to be someone I really liked and would have voted for. Sad to see him turn into what he has.

October 13, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  22. ex republican

Doesn't anyone wonder why? Since it was SO important that the public know Sarah Palin's pregnant teenage daughter WOULD be marrying baby's father and they publically showed him – that was the end of it. They won't marry supposedly until AFTER the election. Then if McCain loses , I say, they probably won't marry at all.

If McCain has now such wonderful economic plans for us – why did he wait??? He is the phony one with an answer to everything including calling us "my friends".

October 13, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  23. jason, tx

wow. is he kidding?

October 13, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  24. Stephen Collins

McCain has finally gone off the deep end! He's waving that raise taxes and spending when all the republicans know is spend and borrow with interest. Go home fly boy!

October 13, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  25. Chuck

McCain you are all washed up!!! Lots of hot air but no substance. Where is your plan? You want all of us who pay our mortage on time to bail out all the banks and people who got themselves into trouble beacaue they did not read the fine print on their contracts. Give me a break. A real estate agent in Ohio!!!!!!

October 13, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |