October 13th, 2008

New McCain stump: 'We've got them just where we want them'

McCain is unveiling a new stump speech today.
McCain is unveiling a new stump speech today.

(CNN) – With Election Day just three weeks away, John McCain will unveil a new stump speech Monday that will signal his campaign's closing push. McCain's remarks will speak to the need for Americans to evaluate and consider the new direction this country must take, and which candidate has the proven record, experience and readiness to deliver against growing challenges.

An excerpt from his prepared remarks below:

"Let me give you the state of the race today. We have 22 days to go. We’re 6 points down. The national media has written us off. Senator Obama is measuring the drapes, and planning with Speaker Pelosi and Senator Reid to raise taxes, increase spending, take away your right to vote by secret ballot in labor elections, and concede defeat in Iraq. But they forgot to let you decide. My friends, we’ve got them just where we want them.

"What America needs in this hour is a fighter; someone who puts all his cards on the table and trusts the judgment of the American people. I come from a long line of McCains who believed that to love America is to fight for her. I have fought for you most of my life. There are other ways to love this country, but I’ve never been the kind to do it from the sidelines."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. HAHA

This guy is sooooooo lost and out of touch!

October 13, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  2. Andrew

I am not now or have I ever been your friend. With friends like you we need no enemies. You sir are on the wrong side of history and we the people will prove it to you in three weeks.

October 13, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  3. John

McCain rocks, that's the bottom line. I hope he wins the election because the Democrats are failures. It started with Clinton when he authorized the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac program for sub-prime lending, the failure of him not going after Osama and the depletion of our military (I was there and saw it). I hope people understand that most small businesses under Barack will suffer and we will be giving more handouts to welfare recipients.

October 13, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  4. Steve Nwagbo

Clearly, John McCain NEVER thinks his ideas through before irrascibly coming out with them. No surprise then that they inevitably boomerang back at him. This will be no different. I'm completely flabbergasted by the kind of campaign he has run. Who are his advisers? Do they have any brains? Can't they see the unrelenting haemmoraging in his campaign? This is sickening.

October 13, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  5. TKI

My Friends, the gutter surge is working
    I know how to win...
    echo: I am like a prairie dog playing with matches, how cool!

October 13, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  6. Shaun

Well, what else is he to say?

October 13, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  7. ObamaAlltheWay

In denial.

October 13, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  8. Hispanic Voter

McShame you are a dishonor to our country. America does not need a dishonorable man. We need a leader and you are full of it. This is the lowest of the low...you are scum. You don't know what America stands for and you are not fighting for America..you are fighting for John McCain..selfish, arrogant and full of lies.

Obama/Biden '08

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  9. bill

yes mccain you have got them where you want them me too dummy you are concervitivly 11 points down if thats having obama where you want him than THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IGNORANT OLD MAN AND PRINCESS BARBIE JUST PETHETIC

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  10. Mike in Ohio

No one is measuring the drapes. This is going to be a hard-fought race right down to the wire.

We need someone to fight, all right, but we need the fight to be on OUR behalf. In spite of all his new-found "reformist" talk, McCain's fight will be more on the side of the large oil companies and the more well-to-do in this country, not on the side of average Americans. He's proven that in the past, and it is clear that that is ultimately where his heart is.

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  11. Shane

[YAWN] McWho?

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  12. Colleen in Colorado

It's Monday, here is our new message!

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  13. steve

let us just get this over with

2 years.....2 years of this

enough is enough

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  14. Elsa

Sorry McCain, but I think that slavery is over in case You do not know it. White people do not whip Black man just for fun anymore

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  15. Alex

The media sure does love a comeback, so they might just give him one. I hope not, but it is possible.

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  16. clem

Can someone tell McCain to stop telling us what he can't do
    This whole thing is funny to we who see the election outside the State as funny, what on earth is McCain thinking when he pick that Woman called palin, nothing Good is coming from his camp, just like what the Uk press said 4years again might come back this year..
    How can 4Million Americans be soooooo Dumb to Vote for Bush the second time and what we are seeing now is another 4years of thesame Bush, i just hope this people are seeing what McCain have to offer..
    What a Shame to the People of US… if McCain Wins

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  17. DavidB

How sad!!

October 13, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  18. awaker

FAIL

October 13, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  19. NC in MD

This should be interesting.... The real McCain is emerging???

October 13, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  20. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

I've circled the wagons, my friends. Anything that comes near me I am going to shoot it within every inch of its life....

This is the same rhetoric we keep hearing time and time again, Senator McCain. You treat this whole thing like it's Bunker Hill, not Capitol Hill. You have once again squashed your "reaching across the aisle" argument and blame the Democrats yet again. It is "Us versus them".

And you want to tax health benefits?

October 13, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  21. mb

Can anyone tell me why the palin/mccain ticket keep lying?

October 13, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  22. Hankers

"My friends, we’ve got them just where we want them."

Ahead by 6 points? Who is he kidding? 9th inning, down by 4 runs and he says "My friends, we’ve got them just where we want them."

Sad.

October 13, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  23. rich

Please McCain..please. I think you are indeed out of touch. It is you who is just where Obama wants you....that is down in the polls deperately gasping for political air. lol. You cant make this stuff up. It's just keep coming. Talk about delusions. lol

October 13, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  24. Mrs. South for Obama

WOW!!!! If you will stop and think, MAYBE we will take you serious

October 13, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  25. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Sorry, Sen McCain – your on-going close personal relationship with G Gordon Liddy (subvert Constitution) and the secessionist and power abuser, Sarah Palin, tells me otherwise.

I'll be voting with 6 other adults in my family Oct. 16 for Obama/Biden.

McCain/Palin are chronic liars.

October 13, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |