October 14th, 2008

Clinton nixes idea of serving on Supreme Court

Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.
Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.

(CNN) - It’s a question that arose even before Hillary Clinton abandoned her presidential bid four months ago: What's next for the junior senator from New York?

Definitely not a spot on the Supreme Court, and likely not a bid to be Senate Majority Leader or President of the United States, she told Fox News Tuesday.

Asked directly about rumors she may have her eye on the bench, Clinton said there was “zero” chance of that happening: "I have no interest in doing that," she said, laughing.

Speculation mounted it may be a possibility after Lawrence Tribe, a constitutional law expert at the Harvard Law School who is advising Obama's campaign, said last spring he thought Clinton may be a good fit for the high court.

"I certainly think that Senator Obama's inclination to look for people of broad experience, people whose deepest values and whose empathy with others makes them wise human beings as well as expert lawyers, would mean he wouldn't rule out people such as Senator Clinton just because they don't have judicial experience," he told the National Journal.

Others in the chattering class have said a run for Senate Majority Leader, replacing Sen. Harry Reid, is much more likely, given Clinton's success in the chamber and the respect she has forged there. Many also speculate Clinton still harbors presidential ambitions, and could run in four or eight years depending on if Barack Obama is elected.

Watch: Clinton back on the trail

But speaking to Fox Tuesday, Clinton said the chances she pursues either of those options are "probably zero."

"There's an old saying: Bloom where you're planted. And I've always loved that," she said. "I love being in the Senate. I ran for president because I thought we had to make drastic changes given what I viewed as the damage that the Bush administration had done here at home and abroad. Now I'm going to work very hard with President Obama to repair that damage."

1. Candy West Virginia

I believe Obama wants her as Secretary of State, atleast that is what I heard.

October 14, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. Tony

HILLARY WOULD BE GREAT ON THE SUPREME COURT!

THE NEXT PRESIDENT WILL MORE THAN LIKELY GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO APPOINT AS MANY AS 3 JUSTICES AND WE CANNOT LET THAT PRESIDENT BE MCCAIN.

October 14, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. chuck

Supreme Court Justice Hillary Clinton. Heavenly!!!!!!

October 14, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  4. Mike from toledo, ohio

Actually, I think she would make a better President in 4-8 years.

Obama/Biden 08/12

Clinton/16

October 14, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  5. Lo

That's too bad, Senator Clinton, I think you would fit in nicely in either of those coveted positions. Perhaps President Obama, in his infinite wisdom shall appoint you to his cabinet? I think you would make an excellent Secretary of State... you definitely couldn't be any worse than Ms. Rice.

Obama/Biden 2008-2016

October 14, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. Tony

NEVER SAY NEVER HILLARY!

THE SUPREME COURT NEEDS YOU!

October 14, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  7. independent in Texas

I agree with Hillary, she has been outstanding as a senator, and still WILL BE..she "knows" where she can be most useful ! Way to go Hillary....
    independent for Obama

October 14, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. Sue in MI

Take heed, Sarah Palin: bloom where you're planted...I think that means go back to Alaska and face your accusers, take care of your family, keep your husband out of your office, and actually do some good in this world.

October 14, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Oblio

Yanno, I think she'd make an awesome Secretary of State. I also think Bill would make a good Supreme Court Justice.

October 14, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  10. Hey McCain- Thanks but no thanks

Hillary knows what many of us also know and that is that Obama will be our next President!!!

October 14, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  11. Winnie Hussein . . . in Montana

Sen. Clinton, you would be absolutely wonderful as a Supreme Court Justice. Oh my gosh, the things you could accomplish there! I also think you'd make a great president. Please don't completely shut the door on these positions. I know New York needs you, but so do the rest of us!

October 14, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  12. Brian

lol.

Politicians should never be justices. They can't get the politicking out of their blood.

October 14, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  13. Vigla

I always respected Hillary and applaud her for running for President and coming so close. She will be a powerful member of the senate just like former senator Moynahan was before her. I'm happy she will continue to represent the state of NY.

October 14, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  14. California Gold

I would love to see Mrs. Clinton appointed to head up health care reform for the country.

She would also make a wonderful Supreme Court Judge. Truth is no matter what she puts her hand to, she would do an excellent job.

October 14, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  15. PA Independent

I would love to see Hillary on the bench, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what those confirmation hearings would probably look like. She is also far too savvy and competitive a politician to enjoy the setting. If Obama loses, there's always 2012. If Obama wins, she will be in his Cabinet or, more likely, in line for the role of Lioness of the Senate – not a bad place to be.

October 14, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. Please stop

Media please move on.

October 14, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  17. Hey Obamatrons

McCain would never pick this woman for the Supreme Court.

October 14, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  18. The Obama Court, No Really... The Obama Court

I don't think Hillary is extremely qualified for the Supreme Court although she could probably do an adequate job administratively.

Obama appointees to the court need to be in their later 30s and early 40s so that they have impact beyond Alito, Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, etc.

Let's have the 1st smokin' Latina on the bench.

In fact, I'd like to see a former President Obama, constitutional law scholar, on the High Court after two terms as Chief Executive.

October 14, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  19. THE WORLD IS WATCHING *HOPE IS COMING

HILLARY FOR SECY OF STATE

MUCH RESPECT HILLARY

BUT PLEASE TELL BILL TO LET IT GO ALREADY.............OMG

OBAMA/BIDEN

October 14, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. Team America

Apparently the Democratic party believes the less experience you have, the more that makes you qualified for a high level position. As examples: Obama has 3 years in Washington, but apparently he's got what it takes to be President. Common sense people aren't too sure about that. Next, there is this article about Hillary serving on the Supreme Court. Common sense people would tend to think that a person on the Supreme Court should have years and years on the bench as a judge, where actual law was being practiced. Seems to me she hasn't used her law degree while she was the governor's wife, the president's wife, and definitely not as a senator. So what gives Dems?? How come your logic makes no sense to the American people?? Maybe that's the thinking you get when you drink the bad kool aid...so sad.

October 14, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  21. Sonia

Good. The last thing we need is Hillary in the Supreme Court. She has done enough damage being in the senate. She and Senator Obama are clearly radicals. Maybe she and Bill could get into another ash tray throwing contest.

October 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. vic nashville,Tn

Hillary 2012
    She should be our president
    Hillary 2012

October 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  23. Steve in CA

I love her closing line: "Now I’m going to work very hard with President Obama to repair that damage.”

October 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  24. vw

If OB really gets elected, usa will absolutely step down from the position of superpower empire.
    It will be a dire for us...

October 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  25. Sam- Chicago

She's just a lovable public servant.

October 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |