October 14th, 2008

Clinton nixes idea of serving on Supreme Court

Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.
Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.

(CNN) - It’s a question that arose even before Hillary Clinton abandoned her presidential bid four months ago: What's next for the junior senator from New York?

Definitely not a spot on the Supreme Court, and likely not a bid to be Senate Majority Leader or President of the United States, she told Fox News Tuesday.

Asked directly about rumors she may have her eye on the bench, Clinton said there was “zero” chance of that happening: "I have no interest in doing that," she said, laughing.

Speculation mounted it may be a possibility after Lawrence Tribe, a constitutional law expert at the Harvard Law School who is advising Obama's campaign, said last spring he thought Clinton may be a good fit for the high court.

"I certainly think that Senator Obama's inclination to look for people of broad experience, people whose deepest values and whose empathy with others makes them wise human beings as well as expert lawyers, would mean he wouldn't rule out people such as Senator Clinton just because they don't have judicial experience," he told the National Journal.

Others in the chattering class have said a run for Senate Majority Leader, replacing Sen. Harry Reid, is much more likely, given Clinton's success in the chamber and the respect she has forged there. Many also speculate Clinton still harbors presidential ambitions, and could run in four or eight years depending on if Barack Obama is elected.

Watch: Clinton back on the trail

But speaking to Fox Tuesday, Clinton said the chances she pursues either of those options are "probably zero."

"There's an old saying: Bloom where you're planted. And I've always loved that," she said. "I love being in the Senate. I ran for president because I thought we had to make drastic changes given what I viewed as the damage that the Bush administration had done here at home and abroad. Now I'm going to work very hard with President Obama to repair that damage."

1. Sebastian, Louisiana

Spoken like a true Stateswoman. I don't know if I buy what she's selling about the "zero chance" because Up id Down in Washington most of the time.

She would make a great Justice, a great Majority Leader and a great president if called to serve. I am now very impressed with her committment to her former rival and I appreciater her willingness to serve where she feel she is in her highest and best use.

October 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. Jackie in Dallas

Too bad...I think Hillary would have made a heck of a good Supreme Court Judge. Of course, she'd also make a heck of a Secretary of State, or Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare.

October 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. Sebastian, Louisiana

Spoken like a true Stateswoman. I don't know if I buy what she's selling about the "zero chance" because Up is Down in Washington most of the time.

October 14, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. (Former) Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

I definitely hope that Clinton serves in some significant way in an Obama-Biden Administration.

October 14, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  5. HONG

i think she will be a good cabinet canidate.

October 14, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  6. Vegas Barbie for Obama

Thank HEAVENS that woman has finally stated her intentions. Now if this will just shut UP those die-hard PUMAS who have yet to join the winning Obama team and if she will WARM UP her endorsements of Sen. Obama yet even more, perhaps I will be convinced that she means anything she says.

October 14, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. Preco, NY

God bless you Hillary!!!

Your support for Obama-Biden ticket tell us you are ever brilliant.

October 14, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. Brian

Not to mention that she is totally completely unqualified for the supreme court in every way imaginable.

October 14, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

HILLARY IS AN INTELLIGENT WELL EDUCATED

WOMAN & THAT, ALMOST GUARANTEES THAT

WHATEVER SHE DOES & DO SHE WILL, SHE WILL DO

WELL. PRESIDENT OBAMA WILL BACK HER ALL THE WAY.

October 14, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  10. Overseas Obama supporter

madame secretary of state!!

October 14, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. That One!

Hill is just giving the PC answer....of course she "didn't want to be VP" but would have accepted if asked! How will her constituents in NY feel if they knew she is aspiring to not serve them directly anymore....that she wants betters. I think she would accept anyone of those postions if asked....Pres. Obama has big plans for Hillary....bigger than just a VP position! BTW....thanks to Hill for sharpening up Obama during the primaries.....no doubt, these character attacks on Obama right now are all falling flat because the American people have been there and heard that! The larger majority of Americans know who Obama/Biden and McSame is....many like myself want to know WHO IS THE REAL SARAH PALIN!

October 14, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. Jho

Hillary for the next Presidential elaction!

October 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. Melba

Go Hillary, you have all our respect!!!!!
    Obama/Biden 2008

October 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  14. Maurice

Hillary,

Its not about you. You have the qualifications to be president. After Obama gets elected, I will support you in another 8 yesrs. Or, if Obama loses, I will support you in 2012.

October 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  15. Erika, KS

She would make a great addition to the high court seat.
    If offered, I'd bet she'd take it. And she should.

October 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  16. Realistic

Wasted political talent on the Supreme Court, though to get rid of ideological hacks like Scalia or intellectual midgets like Thomas anything should be considered.

October 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. Dan

She'll probably get AG or HHS.

October 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. I can see Russia

The Clintons have been soooo helpful...to McCain!

October 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. James

If Obama is elected he should dump Rice and replace her with Clinton.

October 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  20. lloyd kandasammy

hilalry will run again in 2012 when obama looses

October 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  21. California Voter

Let's see. Our nation has been around for over 200 years and for more than half of those years women were not allowed to vote. How much longer will women have to wait before this country is ready for a woman to serve as President? During these perilous economic times I would have preferred experience winning over hope in the democratic primary.
    It didn't happen. Obama played the game better and won. Is he the best candidate, that's the real question.

October 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  22. Lori

I remember a while ago she also said she was not interested in becoming President of the United States!!!

October 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  23. Obama/Biden 08

What "THE WORLD IS WATCHING *HOPE IS COMING" said...

October 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  24. tulsa

HRC, Wherever you are, whatever you do, you will do as always and put the country first.
    Thanks

October 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  25. BV

Hillary for Secretary of State. How could it be any other way??

October 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |