October 14th, 2008

Clinton nixes idea of serving on Supreme Court

Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.
Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.

(CNN) - It’s a question that arose even before Hillary Clinton abandoned her presidential bid four months ago: What's next for the junior senator from New York?

Definitely not a spot on the Supreme Court, and likely not a bid to be Senate Majority Leader or President of the United States, she told Fox News Tuesday.

Asked directly about rumors she may have her eye on the bench, Clinton said there was “zero” chance of that happening: "I have no interest in doing that," she said, laughing.

Speculation mounted it may be a possibility after Lawrence Tribe, a constitutional law expert at the Harvard Law School who is advising Obama's campaign, said last spring he thought Clinton may be a good fit for the high court.

"I certainly think that Senator Obama's inclination to look for people of broad experience, people whose deepest values and whose empathy with others makes them wise human beings as well as expert lawyers, would mean he wouldn't rule out people such as Senator Clinton just because they don't have judicial experience," he told the National Journal.

Others in the chattering class have said a run for Senate Majority Leader, replacing Sen. Harry Reid, is much more likely, given Clinton's success in the chamber and the respect she has forged there. Many also speculate Clinton still harbors presidential ambitions, and could run in four or eight years depending on if Barack Obama is elected.

Watch: Clinton back on the trail

But speaking to Fox Tuesday, Clinton said the chances she pursues either of those options are "probably zero."

"There's an old saying: Bloom where you're planted. And I've always loved that," she said. "I love being in the Senate. I ran for president because I thought we had to make drastic changes given what I viewed as the damage that the Bush administration had done here at home and abroad. Now I'm going to work very hard with President Obama to repair that damage."

1. rene

one thing about hillary, she knows what she's talking about and she knows how to answer questons, that's more than what we can say bout the woman on the other ticket, SHE'S A JOKE

October 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. Team America

I know...let's have Hillary serve as Pope. I mean, she's more than qualified for that job wouldn't you say fellow Dems???

October 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. lori from pa

Never say never, Hillary ! You were obiously the best candiate for president. Dnc just had other plans for this year. Maybe time to leave the Dems, the party doesn't deserve you anyway.

October 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Brin

Who was the idiot that came up with this idea.

Even she knows this was a bad idea.

October 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Don

Shes not the candidate but her name still comes up. Just goes to show how relevant she is.

October 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  6. Bridgette-PA

Secretary of State sounds good to me!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

October 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  7. Dave

There are more qualified judges to choose from than her. It must be wishful thinking on somone's part.

October 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  8. Crazy the race is still close

I think she would amazing as a Supreme court justice or the next President! WEhichever she wants!

October 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  9. Nico

How awesome would it be if we had Obama and Biden in the White House and Sen. Clinton in a Cabinet Position?

October 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  10. Nick in Las Vegas

It should have been Clinton in 2008. I really hope she runs again.

October 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  11. Sharon Kitchen

very good

October 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Ian

I think HillRod would make a good Secretary of State. Her and Bill come travel the globe together...the "Hill and Bill Show".

October 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  13. Mike

I see this woman getting a sweet spot on the White house staff...as well she should. Hillary is a great person no matter how you look at her.

October 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. David Goldman for OBAMA

VOTED FOR BILL CLINTON TWICE.

DOD NOT VOTE FOR HILLARY'S NOMINATION.

BUT IT WOULD BE A WASTE TO OUR NATION

FOR HER TO TAKE IT EASY. SHE SHOULD BE

A LITTLE MORE LIKE BILL & BILL SHOULD BE

A LITTLE MORE LIKE HILLARY. WE NEED HELP.

IT WILL TAKE ALL WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE

DITCH BUSH & MCGREEDY DUG US INTO.

October 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  15. Craig

Hillary for Secretary of State!

October 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  16. Steve

Too bad Democrats picked the wrong candidate. I don't agree with all of Senator Clinton's politics but we knew where all her skeletons were, she isn't racist, she doesn't support socialism, she doesn't support re-distribution of wealth, and can't be linked radical groups that preach death to white people.

Maybe Senator McCain will appoint her a cabinet seat.

October 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. Carlos

I second the Secretary of State idea!!!

October 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. tarrie

I think HRC is going to be the next Secretary of State, US Attorney General of supreme court justice.

October 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. baruch marcooni

I agree good point cincinnati, OH(3rd)…since 1984;Cleveland, OH(4th)…since 1989;,, thanks for mentioning ohio haparnas ....you are right Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years… and they are still poor” digi tal records today prove it

October 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. ANITA

I AGREE HILLARY FOR SECY OF STATE. I THINK IF OBAMA WOULD ANNOUNCE THAT IF ELECTED, HE WILL APPOINT HILLARY FOR THAT POSITION, THE ELECTION WOULD BE OVER!!!!!

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  21. Misuse of Power

Are we now using Charles Barkleys brain power to determine the election?

By the way Mr. Barkley has done pretty well for himself, hasn't he?

Nightengale, you're a dope!

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. Mi13

Hell, I'm writing her in this November.

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  23. Jessica in IL

Wow.

I'm sure Obama will have a place for her!

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  24. Andrew in OR

“Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years… and they are still poor”

THis is ignorant, its not the same people who are poor, more people being created means that there will be others to replace those who pulled themselves out of poverty. Think of it like a revolving door.

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  25. dave

a lot of us would hope Sen Clinton will reconsider the possibility of Supreme Court Justice appointment. She may not has judicial experience but so do others nominated by former GOP adminstration. The impact on the nation is no less insignificant that presidency or senate majority leader.

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |