October 14th, 2008

Clinton nixes idea of serving on Supreme Court

Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.
Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.

(CNN) - It’s a question that arose even before Hillary Clinton abandoned her presidential bid four months ago: What's next for the junior senator from New York?

Definitely not a spot on the Supreme Court, and likely not a bid to be Senate Majority Leader or President of the United States, she told Fox News Tuesday.

Asked directly about rumors she may have her eye on the bench, Clinton said there was “zero” chance of that happening: "I have no interest in doing that," she said, laughing.

Speculation mounted it may be a possibility after Lawrence Tribe, a constitutional law expert at the Harvard Law School who is advising Obama's campaign, said last spring he thought Clinton may be a good fit for the high court.

"I certainly think that Senator Obama's inclination to look for people of broad experience, people whose deepest values and whose empathy with others makes them wise human beings as well as expert lawyers, would mean he wouldn't rule out people such as Senator Clinton just because they don't have judicial experience," he told the National Journal.

Others in the chattering class have said a run for Senate Majority Leader, replacing Sen. Harry Reid, is much more likely, given Clinton's success in the chamber and the respect she has forged there. Many also speculate Clinton still harbors presidential ambitions, and could run in four or eight years depending on if Barack Obama is elected.

Watch: Clinton back on the trail

But speaking to Fox Tuesday, Clinton said the chances she pursues either of those options are "probably zero."

"There's an old saying: Bloom where you're planted. And I've always loved that," she said. "I love being in the Senate. I ran for president because I thought we had to make drastic changes given what I viewed as the damage that the Bush administration had done here at home and abroad. Now I'm going to work very hard with President Obama to repair that damage."

1. S Callahan

Now that is my girl speaking..the one I supported many years ago!
    God gives us each a time and place for everything..and you are right on the money in what you've shared today! I'm proud of you Sen. Clinton!

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. Barbara

I Hope that if Obama gets to be president that he will offer you one to the cabinet position. Maybe sec. of state, or defence or something like that. I think he will. You have been loyal to the Dem. Party and supporter of Obama, to elect him Pres. I also hope that you will also run again in 2012.

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  3. Supreme Impact for 25-50 years!

I doubt if offerred she'd turn it down. She'd be able to influence the next quarter century of jurisprudence and protect children's and women's rights even more than she did at the Children's Defense Fund, where she did her best work prior to the Rose Law firm. She's a great mind that would give the Judicial Branch new relevance for the public and a Supreme role model for a century of women.

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  4. Mary from Sarasota FL

Yes !! Hillary for Secretary of State. My thought back in June.
    Mary from Sarasota FL

October 14, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  5. Charles

OK then, how about Bill?

He was a Rhodes Scholar and professor of constitutional law, remember. Hasn't been a judge recently, but it's hard to argue with his experience.

Just keep an eye on the female clerks.

October 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. Shawn_T

Aaaaaaand....that shatters a few thousand PUMA hearts.

Lol!

October 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  7. LYNETTE IN CA

WISE, VERY WISE and WELL STATED!

October 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  8. josh

I'm on board with the Nightingale below.

Wake up !!!!!

October 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. Dallas, TX

Please do the country a favor and go home to AR, NY or any other state.

No more Clintons!!

October 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. Pooya

Hillary my love for 2012/

October 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. Long-Time Believer

Absolutely! Hillary would be an EXCELLENT Supreme Court Justice. She wants to repair the damage? No better place, no better legacy, no better way to ensure our childrens' and grandchildrens' futures!

October 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. karen-phoenix

She will be in Obama's cabinet!!! Head of the Health Care and will finally get her health Care ajenda to the American people. SHe should have been able to have done it over 10 years ago but the republicans put the damper on it!! NO MORE!!!
    God Bless Obama/Biden and the Clintons!!!!

October 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. Republican voting Democrat 2008

Hilary has 10 times more of my respect as a female leader than Sarah Palin. I vote for a debate between both of them! If Palin runs for the presidency in 2012, I guess we will see that showdown between Hilary and Palin. (albeit Palin's running as president is a joke and fit for SNL).

October 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. Andy - Atlanta, GA

Why is it that even after a toughly contested primary, Obama, Biden & the Clintons appear to be a great team, & genuine friends, while McCain & Palin barely seem to know each other, & are so disconnected from the rest of the GOP?

You add Gore, Kerry, Dodd, Reid etc & it seems like a great team. The GOP is just all over the place.

Also, if you are on the fence about these two candidates, you've got to vote for the Obama campaign/advisors team! They've out-thought, out-strategized, out-organized & out-maneuvred the McCain team at every turn. So you know they're going to do well once they get to the white-house.

It's all about surrounding yourself with the right people. Hillary is just one part of the Obama dream-team!

October 14, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. Abby

I like when you say it, Hillary...President Obama!

This is what a smart woman looks like.

Democrats O8

October 14, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. Tricia

Hillary is a smart woman that could do just about anything. How about Secretary of State????? I admire Bill and Hilaary and they raised a fine young woman, Chelsey....Good luck Hillary and keep on truckin... People, never compare Palin to Hillary...No Comparison...

October 14, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. FactCheck

> Maybe Senator McCain will appoint her a cabinet seat.

I don't think Clinton wants a cabinet set in the local retirement home. McCain is done as a candidate and his stint in the Senate is also done.

October 14, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  18. Eric-29-m-PA

She should have been our nominee. The DNC and party leaders should be ashamed of themselves for throwing Hillary under the bus. I will never forget this. This Clinton supporter and long-time Democrat will be voting for McCain.

October 14, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. rm

Yesterday Obama gave his economic rescue plan and the market set record gains. McCain gave his plan and they are barely breaking even. Just an observation.

October 14, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  20. chelle

I think she will be Secretary of State. Barack Obama is no dumbie and she would do well in that position....

October 14, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  21. Silence Dogood

Has Obama ever apologized to her for his nasty campaign against her? Just checking.....

October 14, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  22. Doug D

With all the skeletons and trouble in her closets – thank all the gods in all the pantheons that this idea is nixed. The only time Clinton, either one, should be in a courtroom is as a defendant as they have always been.

October 14, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. Purple Nurple

NO, that would not be a good idea.
    Plus we all know what she is after. I remeber all of you hatefull clinton people voting for McCrazy. I will remember.

October 14, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  24. Joe

But she also said for the longest time that she was not running for President, so who knows? I would be thrilled to see her on the Supreme Court.

October 14, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  25. Matt

LOL Like America would want to get stuck with Hillary Clinton for the rest of her life. Please I want her to go away now.

October 14, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |