October 14th, 2008

Clinton nixes idea of serving on Supreme Court

Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.
Clinton said she is happy being a senator from New York.

(CNN) - It’s a question that arose even before Hillary Clinton abandoned her presidential bid four months ago: What's next for the junior senator from New York?

Definitely not a spot on the Supreme Court, and likely not a bid to be Senate Majority Leader or President of the United States, she told Fox News Tuesday.

Asked directly about rumors she may have her eye on the bench, Clinton said there was “zero” chance of that happening: "I have no interest in doing that," she said, laughing.

Speculation mounted it may be a possibility after Lawrence Tribe, a constitutional law expert at the Harvard Law School who is advising Obama's campaign, said last spring he thought Clinton may be a good fit for the high court.

"I certainly think that Senator Obama's inclination to look for people of broad experience, people whose deepest values and whose empathy with others makes them wise human beings as well as expert lawyers, would mean he wouldn't rule out people such as Senator Clinton just because they don't have judicial experience," he told the National Journal.

Others in the chattering class have said a run for Senate Majority Leader, replacing Sen. Harry Reid, is much more likely, given Clinton's success in the chamber and the respect she has forged there. Many also speculate Clinton still harbors presidential ambitions, and could run in four or eight years depending on if Barack Obama is elected.

Watch: Clinton back on the trail

But speaking to Fox Tuesday, Clinton said the chances she pursues either of those options are "probably zero."

"There's an old saying: Bloom where you're planted. And I've always loved that," she said. "I love being in the Senate. I ran for president because I thought we had to make drastic changes given what I viewed as the damage that the Bush administration had done here at home and abroad. Now I'm going to work very hard with President Obama to repair that damage."

1. Jeff Schade

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. If not, then stay in the Senate, battling the Republicans.

October 14, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  2. Jeanette

Hillary, will you please tell everybody just who Bill Ayers really is? Maybe they'll listen to you.

October 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. Matt

Hey "Team America": Alito and Roberts are the two youngest people on the Supreme Court. Your entire analysis is garbage.

October 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. Jim in NJ

In the end I think Hillary will make out like a bandit. When Barack is President she can literally pick whatever job she wants in Washington DC.
    That is why she didn't want to be tied up as VP.

But first we have to win!
    Obama/Biden in 08!

October 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Look up PNAC and read at least several of the articles. There are many reasons the reps will do ANYTHING to win every election and protect their own. Talk about scarey.

October 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  6. Barbara, SD

SHE'S GOING TO RUN FOR THE PRESIDENCY IN 2012–HELLO?

Once again, I won't vote for her, but that's what she's going to do.

Obama/Biden 08

October 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  7. ted d

I hope she'll reconsider, since she'd be a very capable and effective Supreme Court justice.

October 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  8. Steven

Looking old and worn out. Playing their game of politics will age you quickly.

October 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  9. mitch

SEC. OF STATE!!!!

October 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. I can see Russia

eric 29

Republicans claiming to be Democrats who will vote for McCain over Obama because Hillary lost is almost as transparently moronic as McCain picking Palin because of her "executive experience". Nice try.

October 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  11. Keith in VA Beach

Hillary Clinton is a great woman who I believe should one day be president. Hopefully she is up for the job in 8 years. She is one of the few politicians including Barack that actually work to secure a better and stronger America. They both strive to increase America's image in the world.

October 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  12. Why????

She gave herself away, "work hard with President Obama to repair the damage" which means, she will be around. So let's continue to focus upon the election.

October 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  13. bob in L.A.

President Hillary would have been great for the country in many ways. A bid in 8 years may not be the right move- look at how insignificant McCain became in that amount of time.'
    Justice Clinton would be wonderful! But making her the next Ted Kennedy in the senate isn't so bad either.

October 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  14. Olivia

Repuiblican voting democrat said

"Hilary has 10 times more of my respect as a female leader than Sarah Palin. I vote for a debate between both of them! If Palin runs for the presidency in 2012, I guess we will see that showdown between Hilary and Palin. (albeit Palin's running as president is a joke and fit for SNL)."

I agree with most of it, except that Hillary is not 10 times better but MUCH MUCH more. And about the debate, it would be like seeing a game betwen a T-ball player Palin with Baby Ruth Hillary.

October 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  15. Palin is a Patriot Act

Gotta Love HRC! We want to see you in Obama's Cabinet. Health and Human Services??

October 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  16. Observer in NY

Hillary 016 for one term. Why not? Oh by the way that McCain comment yesterday "We got them where we want them" meaning Barrack's position in the poll. Well, my fellow Barrackian that was a true sign of ignorance. Like the captain of the Titanic "let her rip she is big enough" McCain has underestimated the speed, size and trajectory of storm Barrack. As a result not only McCain presidental bid, but the entire RNC will be smashed beyond recognition. 11/05/08 and thereafter will be a time mourning for the RNC.

October 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  17. Mike in Columbus

Agreed... Secretary of State would be a terrific use of her skills.

October 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  18. Mike in IL

Not in a million years... Obama wants nothing to do with her and is telling people what they want to hear to try and win back some of her support...

Democrats really screwed up because she was the best choice for President this year!!!

October 14, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. Mike

I'm an Obama supporter, but I'm a great admirer of Sen. Clinton and I certainly hope she has aspirations to further her career, whether in the Senate or in another office. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing her run for governor of New York. She'd be great.

October 14, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  20. Sarah, Northern Colorado

I have complete confidence that, no matter where Senator Clinton ends up, she will succeed in her missions and of being for the people she serves.

October 14, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. Amy

I have a new found respect for Senator Clinton.

Not many could graciously back a former rival, but this is woman who actually does put country first.

McCain could take some lessons from her!

October 14, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. Latina for Obama (nj)

She is so cute! lol

YES WE CAN!

October 14, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  23. DonJose

Hillary has a reputation for a terrific legal mind. So, yes, she would be an excelletn US Supreme court justice. This is something both sen.
    Obama and sen. McCain should consider

October 14, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  24. FL4OB

I've often thought Clinton would make a champion for women's causes on the Supreme Court. I still believe there is a bigger role for Hillary in an Obama administration.

Democrats '08

October 14, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  25. Deb in Vegas

Everyone talks about Sen Clinton holding a post in an Obama Administration....why couldn't she also serve in a McCain administration? The politicians talk big about crossing party lines but why not make it happen in the Cabinet?

I personally believe that whomever is elected President should seek out the best people from all sides of the political arena to serve on his Cabinet. All sides have good people and all sides have not so good people. Political affiliation should have nothing to do with being selected for a Cabinet post.

October 14, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |