October 14th, 2008

Clinton slams McCain's 'negativity'

Clinton thinks McCain needs to focus on the issues.
Clinton thinks McCain needs to focus on the issues.

(CNN)— Despite her own heated primary battle with Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton said Tuesday John McCain is focused too much on negativity and too little on the American people.

“[McCain’s] camp needs to stay focused on what the American people are focused on and not stray off into negativity or distraction or diversionary tactics,” Clinton told CNN’s John Roberts.

Related: I'd like a woman in the White House I agree with Clinton says

“Let’s stay focused on what we elect a person for. We hire a president to make best decisions, to have a good team around to push us toward goals to make us stronger and richer and safer and smarter in the future,” Clinton added.

Watch: Clinton slams Obama's negativity

Clinton commended McCain for coming to Obama’s defense at a rally last week in Minnesota after an audience member attacked the Illinois senator’s character.

McCain described Obama as a “decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared of as president of the United States."

Questioned about the McCain’s campaigns decision to highlight Obama’s relationship with Underground member William Ayers and other issues Clinton herself raised during the primary season, the New York senator responded: “It depends how [they] are raised.”

When pressed further Clinton said, “the relevance is that people when you run for president, everything is wide open. And voters are going to want to know a lot about you.”

During a Democratic presidential debate in April, Clinton herself questioned Obama’s association with Ayers, predicting it was “an issue certainly Republicans will be raising,” if Obama became the party’s nominee.

Tuesday, Clinton defended Obama, telling Roberts the Democratic nominee has addressed the issue a number of times.

“I’m confident that when the American people compare the Obama-Biden ticket with the McCain-Palin ticket and what each stands for, they going to support Sen. Obama,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. RIGHT WAY FOR AMERICA

Joe from Oklahoma .....
    Did you listen to Joe's speech yesterday? He talked about Healthcare reform that both HRC and Sen Kennedy are the chanpions and they are gonna be heading that coe Obama and him need their help on that.

October 14, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  2. Suem

I was a Hilary supporter and I think she would have made a great President, I will continue to support her in the future if she decides to run again..........but I also believe in Obama that he is the best man for the White House , he has the solutions to the problems in our economy, and bringing our troops home and ending this $10 billion dollar a week war in Iraq.

October 14, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  3. Dee

I still have not heard either candidate speak on a clear basis about their plans for illegal immigration issues yet and how that impacts Social Security, state funds, welfare, etc.

These are issues that need to be addressed by both candidates I believe.

If we are foolish enough to think that no action is ok then we will face more economic issues in the future when there are more people getting social security than who put it in.

I am 20+ years away from retirement and believe that SS will not be there when I do. The last thing this country needs is to have more drain on a system that is already in the shape it is.

The more we can focus on the issues and not the negativity, ,the better. WE the American Voter are the ones who have the power to make the candidates stick to the issues. We have to make the wisest choice for the country, not just for the next four years, but for the future period. Our choice in this election will not just impact the next four years, if the Supreme Court changes as many think it will, Our choice in this election can change the future in ways that we can not even imagine, especially for women,

So, women across the country, please make sure you think about what you want for your daughters, grand daughters, etc.

October 14, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  4. N.S of Huntsville, Al

Thanks Hillary

Anyways when is McCain going to unveil his failed economy policy, why is he always the tail, and not the leader?

For someone who keeps knocking Obama down, it seems the Oabama is in crusie control and McCain is trying to put his gear in reverse.

McCain is to eratic that is true

October 14, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. Jackie in Dallas

I've never been a big Hillary fan, except that I admire her perseverance in a predominantly man's world (I know what THAT feels like), but I have to say, I admire that fact that she's out there trying. Yes, it is hard to support someone wholeheartedly that you spent months campaigning against, but both Bill and Hill have lived up what was expected of them. She's trying to deliver on what she said she would. Obama doesn't need to hide behind her pantsuit like McCain does behind Cindy and Sarah, and he can be elected on his own...he's a big boy.

Can we please stop demonizing both candidates? I don't agree with what little McCain has put forth as policy, and I don't like his negativity, but he's not the anti-Christ. Obama is a legitimate US citizen, was sworn into office by Cheney on a Bible, and is a Christian, regardless of middle name. He's not a socialist or Communist and McCain isn't a Fascist. Those are are extremist views and politicians in these days and times can't afford extremist views. They are both doing what they think is best...I just happen to think Obama is doing what's best for me. Disagree with policy, disagree with character (I certainly disagree with Palin's!), but there is no reason to incite hatred or divisiveness. We need to pull things together after the election, and work to put our country back on track, and we won't be able to if we burn all the bridges between us. Because those are bridges that lead SOMEWHERE.

October 14, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |