October 14th, 2008

Michelle Obama to host Hagel's wife at last debate

The Obama announced that Sen. Hagel's wife, Lilibet, will join Michelle Obama at the final presidential debate. The two men are pictured in this file photo during Obama's summer Mid East trip.

(CNN) – The Obama campaign announced that Lilibet Hagel, the wife of Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, will accompany Michelle Obama at Wednesday night’s final presidential debate.

“I am honored to join Michelle Obama at the debate tomorrow night and to strongly support Senator Obama as our country’s next president,” Lilibet Hagel said in a statement released by the Obama campaign.

“Elections have consequences, and this election may be the most important of my lifetime. We have a chance to throw out the disastrous policies of the last eight years and elect a leader who is smart, honest, steady and wise. I am convinced Barack Obama is the right leader to get us to a very bright future,” Mrs. Hagel added.

Sen. Hagel was recently critical of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee.

Related: Palin's experience a 'stretch,' says Hagel

"She doesn't have any foreign policy credentials," Hagel, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, recently told a Nebraska newspaper. "You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything."

Hagel is a longtime friend of Sen. John McCain but traveled with Obama to the Middle East in July. He has said he will not endorse either candidate. Hagel is not seeking re-election in the Senate when he term ends at the end of this year.

1. GeorgiaPeachforObama

Good for the Hagels. I admire people who put country first and get beyond party politics.

People who truly want to put "Country First" should vote for Obama, because McCain is clearly putting himself first.

October 14, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  2. mary ca

Yes, good thought

October 14, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. CMJ

Thank you Mrs. Hagel. I agree.

October 14, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. California girl

Absolutely, Mrs. Hagel. Thank you for leaving the dark side of politics and coming to the side of CHANGE. We welcome you with open arms.

Change is coming soon!

October 14, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  5. The Way I See It...

Chuck Hagel = Secretary of Defense or State

October 14, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  6. Griff

Too Late for John McCain? Too Late for The USA... I keep forgetting, your only a Small Portion Of America..

October 14, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  7. nate

AKA Im speaking for my husband Chuck, who wishes he could do it himself.

October 14, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  8. Felines for Freedom

GOP for Obama! I know this is old news, but I still love it.

October 14, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  9. fixthebroken

:-)

Now if Chuck Hagel could endorse Barack Obama, that would be wonderful. McCain can have Lieberman - a Hagel endorsement would mean a bunch more for Obama.

October 14, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  10. Grace Corcoran

I will miss Senator Hagel when his term ends - an intelligent Republican (few and far between.) Best wishes to you both.

October 14, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  11. Paying Attention

A leader who is smart, honest, steady and wise.

Answer: Obama

October 14, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  12. Schneider (I) - CA

McCain = 90% x Bush

It doesn't need to go any deeper or further than that. It says it all. 90%.

October 14, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  13. David, Silver Spring, MD

I guess Chuck will have to stay home and watch on TV, unless he's ready to make official what is so obvious to all concerned: that he supports Barack Obama as our next President.

October 14, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  14. MATT WILL, W-S N.C.

Any more Republicans ready to get on board? The waters fine..... Obama 2008

October 14, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  15. Rep. Lewis was RIGHT on target.

Too late McCain. The History books are already being written. And you and Sarah Palin will go down as a disgrace to American politics. McCain style tactics. Palin type attacks. The age of McCainism.

October 14, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  16. Bring it on!

Can't ask for better company! Mrs. and Senator Hagel are patriots. Thank you for speaking the truth and reaching across party lines in the name of truth, honor and justice!

I cannot wait for the debate tomorrow when Barack has his third smack down on McCain! He will run circles literally and figuratively around McCain.

October 14, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  17. Mike

A good example of how the decision in this election is so critical and transcends political party. Thank you, Senator and Mrs. Hagel, for your wise choice and your public endorsements!

October 14, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  18. paula

Obama is a uniter, McCain is a divider. For the sake of our country in this world, please vote for OBAMA/BIDEN

October 14, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  19. AMERICAN

Actions speak louder than words..we know who he supports...Obama!

October 14, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  20. Retired Republican Vet for Obama

That about says it all. (I worked on John's campaign in 2000 and even wrote in his name in the general election BTW)

Obama/Biden 08...or if the real McCain shows up I 'll vote for him

October 14, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  21. karen-phoenix

How wonderful!!! All the good republicans are jumping ship!!! Susan Eisenhower has been on Obama's advisory team for a while. She was wonderful at Dem convention–she specializes in Russian affairs.
    I've been a republican for over 40 years!!! I go with the good republicans–straight to Obama!!!
    God Bless Obama/Biden and the United States of America

October 14, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  22. McCain/Palin = Shameful, hateful behaviour

Bravo, Mrs. Hagel! One more Republican turning against her own party – hurrah!

October 14, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  23. Can't wait for President Obama to be sworn in on January 20, 2009!

Can y'all hear that crashing sound? It is the implosion of the McSame/Failin campaign.

October 14, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  24. LYNETTE IN CA

I LOVE IT!

October 14, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  25. JohnGalt

I believe Mrs. Lilibet Hagel (great first name) has stated the opportunity Americans have to elect a President who will flush the damaging policies of the past 8 years. Bush is the worst, and most corrupt president in modern American history.

October 14, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |