October 14th, 2008

Michelle Obama to host Hagel's wife at last debate

The Obama announced that Sen. Hagel's wife, Lilibet, will join Michelle Obama at the final presidential debate. The two men are pictured in this file photo during Obama's summer Mid East trip.

(CNN) – The Obama campaign announced that Lilibet Hagel, the wife of Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, will accompany Michelle Obama at Wednesday night’s final presidential debate.

“I am honored to join Michelle Obama at the debate tomorrow night and to strongly support Senator Obama as our country’s next president,” Lilibet Hagel said in a statement released by the Obama campaign.

“Elections have consequences, and this election may be the most important of my lifetime. We have a chance to throw out the disastrous policies of the last eight years and elect a leader who is smart, honest, steady and wise. I am convinced Barack Obama is the right leader to get us to a very bright future,” Mrs. Hagel added.

Sen. Hagel was recently critical of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee.

Related: Palin's experience a 'stretch,' says Hagel

"She doesn't have any foreign policy credentials," Hagel, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, recently told a Nebraska newspaper. "You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything."

Hagel is a longtime friend of Sen. John McCain but traveled with Obama to the Middle East in July. He has said he will not endorse either candidate. Hagel is not seeking re-election in the Senate when he term ends at the end of this year.

1. An independent

That is bringing the country together.

October 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  2. boz

Excellent. Thank you ma. Your husband, Sen. Chuck Hagel is a honorable man and highly respected.

Obama/Biden.

October 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  3. Dan, TX

Obama, a common sense centrist who can work with moderate republicans. How refreshing!!!!!

Building consensus in the middle, now and for the next eight years – Obama/Biden.

October 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  4. Mike

If Chuck Hagel was running, he'd have my vote, period. One of the honrable Republicans. He isn't running unfortunately, so my vote goes to Obama. Thanks Senator and Mrs. Hagel.

October 14, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  5. Deb n Texas

Senator Hagel will be coming along soon!

October 14, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  6. Mccain cries wolf again

This election is all but over.

Mccain and Fox news are crying wolf yet again on ACORN. This is getting pathetic!

They keep moving from one extreme to another but it's just making Mccain look stupid.

Go home Gramps.

October 14, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  7. roset

Excellent. Thank you ma'am. Your husband, Sen. Chuck Hagel is a honorable man and highly respected.

Obama/Biden.

October 14, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  8. Elder McClendon

I CAN SEE SENATOR CHUCK HAGEL IN AN OBAMA ADMINISTRATION AS A CABINET MEMBER.

October 14, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  9. carol

Welcome Mrs Hagel a true patriot for seeing the way the country is going and having the courage to vote for the right candidate we applaud you.
    Mrs Hagel alongside the rest of America are ready for change a real change with new hope for this country and that we will see in Nov when Sen Obama is elected President of the United States.

October 14, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  10. rick

Obama said today that people dont have capitol gains and he is going to tax them. I will not vote for a person who thinks and wants everyone to be poor and dependent on the government, a tax and hide president is soon coming to make our lifes miserable.

October 14, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  11. AlaskanWannaB

I am so proud of all of Obama's supporters. You are the BEST. This is the first campaign that I've watched so closely and I am proud of the bloggers on this site. I am a 51 year old, black female who have always wanted to live in Alaska. As a visitor of Alaska on many occasions, Alaska is such a beautiful state–as is the people of Alaska. Sarah Palin is not representative of the people of that great State. She is an abnormality. I hope by the time I move to Alaska, if God's willing, she is no longer Governor. I am pretty certain that the people of Alaska will vote her out of office next term. Not to digress–thanks to all the Obama supporters. You make me proud to be an American.

October 14, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  12. Ed McDuffie

I believe that Chuck Hagel will be President Obama's Sec. of Defence. A good choice that I am willing to except. There could be other spots that Chuck could be very qualified to fill if called on to serve.

October 14, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  13. MemeForObama

That's a true American

October 14, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  14. rosety

Excellent. Thank you ma'am. Your husband, Sen. Chuck Hagel is an honorable man and highly respected.

Obama/Biden.

October 14, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  15. Enlightened Voter

As a staunch Obama supporter I would have loved Obama to pick Hagel but I am very happy with Biden. Hagel has shown as a republican he cannot support their dirty tricks. He actually has honor unlike mccain or palin.

October 14, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Rhino Repulican in name only always voted with Democrats must have thought he'd do better. covered all bases

October 14, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  17. Cathy

Mr. and Mrs. Hagel are my kind of Republicans. They are smart, wise, and Obama supporters. They understand that America can't afford 4 more years of McBush and his clueless sidekick.

October 14, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  18. Lisa

Mrs. Hagel, I am a big fan of your husbands, he is some kind of straight up guy!! A republican, yes, but one of the good ones!!!I think it is terrific that you are a strong lady and votes for whom she truly knows is the best candidate, I am sure your husband is also proud of you!!! We sure do appreciate your support!!!!!!!!!!

October 14, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  19. Naomi

GO OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

October 14, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  20. Linda

Obama's hope, shared by his supporters, for unity in our country is becoming a reality. This is good news indeed.

October 14, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  21. AZ Senior

Sen.Hagel has always been a most admirable man in the political world, I hope there will be an important place for him in the Obama administration,

October 14, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  22. Laszlo in L.A.

I had never heard of Lillabet Hagel before this story, but reading her clear headed and well articulated comments, have to say this endorsement carries substanially more weight with me than Hank Williams Jr. singing songs about liberals and terrorists.

October 14, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  23. Tim E

That's a nice arrangement. If McCain brings up Ayers, these two ladies can hold the barf bag for what the other is bringing up.

October 14, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  24. W. Elizabeth Jahn

Yay for Chuck and Lilibet...they are the true, THINKING Republicans, not the Republicans who are brainwashed and stubborn and can't see the forest for the trees...Wake up, we need more conscientious, thinking citizens to clean up the mess GW has made for 8 years

October 14, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  25. bern

This is a bit off topic but CNN's Lou Dobbs is fanning the flames of hate and misinformation. CNN should be ashamed to have this idiot on the air. His barely veiled hatred fro Obama is obvious in every show he does. Not content to just play his phony "independent" card, Dobbs intentionally misstates facts to minimize Obama.

October 14, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |