October 14th, 2008

Michelle Obama to host Hagel's wife at last debate

The Obama announced that Sen. Hagel's wife, Lilibet, will join Michelle Obama at the final presidential debate. The two men are pictured in this file photo during Obama's summer Mid East trip.

(CNN) – The Obama campaign announced that Lilibet Hagel, the wife of Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, will accompany Michelle Obama at Wednesday night’s final presidential debate.

“I am honored to join Michelle Obama at the debate tomorrow night and to strongly support Senator Obama as our country’s next president,” Lilibet Hagel said in a statement released by the Obama campaign.

“Elections have consequences, and this election may be the most important of my lifetime. We have a chance to throw out the disastrous policies of the last eight years and elect a leader who is smart, honest, steady and wise. I am convinced Barack Obama is the right leader to get us to a very bright future,” Mrs. Hagel added.

Sen. Hagel was recently critical of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee.

Related: Palin's experience a 'stretch,' says Hagel

"She doesn't have any foreign policy credentials," Hagel, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, recently told a Nebraska newspaper. "You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything."

Hagel is a longtime friend of Sen. John McCain but traveled with Obama to the Middle East in July. He has said he will not endorse either candidate. Hagel is not seeking re-election in the Senate when he term ends at the end of this year.

1. Don

On Budget Obama = 100% Bush

October 14, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  2. a believer

I am missing Jack Cafferty and his insight on all this...where the heck is he?

October 14, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  3. Nia Hussein- Phoenix, AZ

Something tells me that Hagle is going to be somewhere near Obama's cabinet

October 14, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  4. That one is Karl Marxs friend too

Who cares?? Really either woman is not noteworthy. Why don't you ask Lieberman's wife if she would like to go too?? And with all the Hate spewed by Keith Oberman- Lou Dobbs.. God Bless you. You are a voice of reason.. =)

October 14, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. Susan

Nice to have you, Mrs. Hagel!

October 14, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  6. Informed Voter

Mr. Hopper ... YOU ARE ONE IDIOT!!!!!!!

I pity you fools ........

October 14, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. Addie, Atlanta

This is absolutely great! I hope more people will follow Mrs. Hagel's lead and join us in electing Barak Obama the next President of the United States!

As for Senator Hagel, he will be at home hosting an Obama watch party with other Republicans and cheering!!!!!

Obama/Biden '08

October 14, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  8. syqueen

They all turning away from the republican party.They use the label GOP or reformer or Maverick to hide from the republican label.Even McCain is using the color blue instead of red.I guess it time for Halloween.

October 14, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  9. chris24

If McCain had the brains to pick Hagel as his running
    mate, this might have been a different race.

Hage is the actual Republican maverick.

Go 'Bama.

October 14, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  10. Dal CA

Looks like the republican friends are in the OBAM FOLD. Who is the one who cares about working both sides of the aisle? OBAMA for SURE.

October 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  11. Obama is for UNITING of the PEOPLE

That's RIGHT Obama YOU ARE going to WIN without the crocks sent to ACORN by the Republicans who wanted to USE this against you. Now McCain, after ATTENDING several FUNCTIONS for the GROUP, want to ACT like he wasn't asking for their help with REGISTRATIONS TOO, SOMETHING LIKE the lie he NOT going to continuing Bush policies after voting with him OVER 95% of TIME..........and HIS friend and I quote "G. Gordon Liddy" He LOVES HITLER (google him PLEASE).

October 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  12. Michael

Senator Obama's courage and leadership continues to resonate with and inspire a diverse group of Americans across party lines and ideaological differences. His focus on bringing Americans together through redefiing service and responsibility rather than dividing us through the politics of fear is a bright light that is showing us a better future.

October 14, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  13. Sara

you know its over when your own party turns on you.

Finally a President to be proud of! For the first time in 8 years, I finally see a bright future ahead of us.

Obama/Biden 08!

October 14, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  14. the Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Hagel is a jerk BTW

I think if someone is caught using cocaine they normally go to jail. I am surprised that Obama escaped jail since he committed jail term offenses. Or did he serve time?

Our jails are full of convicted drug users. you would think that there would be a special cell for Obama, who admitted to using illegal drugs.

You have to ask yourself, has he been rehabilitated or is he a drug user risk. Either way he is risky and a roll of the dice. For some reason i just don't trust him.

October 14, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  15. mitch

even they wives reach across the aisle. repubs should have nominated hagel. they would have had a chance, then.

October 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  16. Aaron from Ohio

Having Mrs. Hagel on board is good news. There is one and only one person out there who's endorsement really matters however. That person is General Colin Powell. Mr. Powell is widely respected by both parties and has been recruited by both parties at one time or another. I paln on voting for Senator Obama and would love to see Powell endorse him. If he endorses McCain, it would throw John a lifeline. General Powell has my respect and admiration regardless of the candidate he endorses. I would have voted for him in a second.

October 14, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  17. john for obama

i woukd have loved if he picked Hagel but Joe is cool

October 14, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  18. bottom line

I think America will agree with the slogan "No thanks on that abusive Governor from nowhere!" on Nov. 4th 2008

Yes We can elect a smart president for a change!

In my household Obama is up 100% points, eat that statistic.

October 14, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  19. Maddie, Hartford, Ct.

Chuck Hagel was one of the very few politicians who openly opposed the Iraq War, when it wasn't popular to do so. His wife seems to have to same willingness to do what she feels in her heart right.

October 14, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  20. Cynthia - Arkansas

The Obama's show the true bipartisan leadership this coutry is hungry for. All of the hate filled stuff is making me sick. This country has too many serious problems to be letting the color of a person's skin determine this election. How sad for America. It makes me sad to think that people in this country would rather have 4 more years of the same failed policy or worse, than to vote for Obama. I am sad for the whole world's sake.

We have to turn out the vote like there is no tomorrow, because our future is totally at stake here. If we have 4 more years of Republican rule, I don't think you will even recognize this country when they are done. I lost my job of 26 years in the first 8 years, do we have to lose everything else before people in this country wake up?

Obama/Biden 08

October 14, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  21. Eight Is Truly Enough

Bipartianship politics 08!!!!

October 14, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  22. 100% support of OBAMA!

people are finally opening up their eyes, Obama is good for us.

October 14, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. A Woman In California For Obama:

I have been smiling all day. This is such welcome news. Thank you Ms. Hagel. What a good day this has been for the Obama/Biden team.

October 14, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  24. Joel Miller

The Hagel's are supremely principled people. He would have been a good candidate for P or VP himself.

October 14, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |