October 14th, 2008

Michelle Obama to host Hagel's wife at last debate

The Obama announced that Sen. Hagel's wife, Lilibet, will join Michelle Obama at the final presidential debate. The two men are pictured in this file photo during Obama's summer Mid East trip.

(CNN) – The Obama campaign announced that Lilibet Hagel, the wife of Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, will accompany Michelle Obama at Wednesday night’s final presidential debate.

“I am honored to join Michelle Obama at the debate tomorrow night and to strongly support Senator Obama as our country’s next president,” Lilibet Hagel said in a statement released by the Obama campaign.

“Elections have consequences, and this election may be the most important of my lifetime. We have a chance to throw out the disastrous policies of the last eight years and elect a leader who is smart, honest, steady and wise. I am convinced Barack Obama is the right leader to get us to a very bright future,” Mrs. Hagel added.

Sen. Hagel was recently critical of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee.

Related: Palin's experience a 'stretch,' says Hagel

"She doesn't have any foreign policy credentials," Hagel, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, recently told a Nebraska newspaper. "You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything."

Hagel is a longtime friend of Sen. John McCain but traveled with Obama to the Middle East in July. He has said he will not endorse either candidate. Hagel is not seeking re-election in the Senate when he term ends at the end of this year.

1. cheney=palin

bomb bomb bomb iran...
    .....how come no one in this country calls mcain a terriost for wanting to kill innocent people?///....
    i don't care if that was meant to be a joke...
    how would any american feel if someone sings the same??

October 14, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  2. Chris

Mr. Hopper

You do know that for statistical reasons, most polls are ~600, ~1000, ~3000 right? More or less makes the curve less accurate – take statistics. Drug/Medical research is done the same way.

Additionally, the AOL "poll" has always had McCain ahead... I'm surprised Fox News shows Obama leading... they also have a conservative base.

October 14, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  3. Maggie VT

Maggie, VT

CBS/NYT has Obama up by 14 pts

October 14, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  4. Corey W

Sen. Hagel is a great man that served our country well and I thank the good Lord for him.

October 14, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  5. Texas Mom for Obama

I'll be glad when the other 42% of America wakes up and finally comes around. This election is about electing the next leader for our country who will be ready on Day 1. McCain can't even run his campaign.

Obama/Biden '08!!! True American Leaders

October 14, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  6. Arden

Mrs. Hagel you are miy kind of woman. Someone who has a mind of her own and refuses to allow lies and smears to make her choices. I not only respect you but your husband as well. Welcome aboard.

October 14, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  7. Pua, HI

Senator and hopefully soon to be President Obama will unite this country and the world. Please, everyone that is allowed to vote, go. I am as a permanent resident alien, unfortunately, not able to do it.
    If you need to know how educated and understanding of world affairs Senator Obama really is, read the speech he gave in Berlin (July).

Obama/Biden 08

October 14, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  8. Dax

Reaching across party lines. We are not drinking Kool Aid this guy is for real! McCain's camp is like a an illegal dog fighting ring. Just look at some of the Klan.. I mean supporters.

October 14, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  9. concerned coloradan

Another conservative sees the light!

October 14, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  10. Wendy in NC

I have said since the Middle East-European trip, when Hagel accompanied Obama, that Hagel would be a great addition to Obama's cabinet. He has said repeatedly that he would like a bipartisan cabinet. I'm excited.

October 14, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  11. obama fan

Now there is a really smart woman!

October 14, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  12. Lorrie

I applaud Mrs. Hagel and other Republicans who are choosing to support Barack Obama. It's not always an easy thing to do

I'm a Republican turned Independant who wants what is best for our country... and, frankly, I don't even recognize the Republican party anymore.

Now we just need Colin Powell!

October 14, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. California Gold

This is quite an indicia of the migration occurring in the Republican Party this general election. McCain wasn't doing so badly for a while. Not dazzling, but not bad either. Then he chose Palin and the hatred began. Now we read bits and pieces of Republicans turning their back on McCain either for directly supporting or flat out refusing to vote for him. Moreover these Republicans are making no bones about why they will vote for Obama. It isn't necessarily about McCain personally, but between the 2 candidates the difference is crystal clear and stark.

October 14, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  14. Stephanie

Most welcome news! Two very intelligent women.
    America MUST give Barak Obama a chance. What do you need most? Economic, social and political stability – America reaching out to itself and to the rest of the global community, perfoming a credible role as a global leader. Then the Talibans, the Hezbollahs, the Al Quaeda's will gradually be history. Even Osama Bin Laden might give himself up voluntarily!!!!!!!!!
    Peace and Goodwill to all men!

October 14, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  15. dd

good!!! we need you

October 14, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  16. Marylou

Mrs Hagel and Chris Buckley...gee..guess they don't like the policies of the "new age" conservatives that spend, spend, spend...and Lie Lie Lie...welcome Mrs. Hagel, Obama is THE ONE!!

October 14, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  17. Nando, Florida

THEY CAN"T TAKE A 10% CHANCE ON CHANGE WITH JOHN MCCAIN EITHER !!!!

YA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08 ,12

October 14, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  18. NJ

who's this Liliputian. Who Cares!!!!!!

October 14, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  19. Joyce Becker

I have to give Mrs. Hagel credit for seeing through Sarah Palin and McCain and going with Mrs. Obama, two very smart women, we need more of them. I hope that Sen. Hagel gets a position in the Obama administration, we need more thinking Republicans not the likes of Graham and Leiberman. Bravo for the Hagels!!!

October 14, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  20. Puff

Wishful thinking dear.

October 14, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  21. the Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Obama needs a lesson in Capital Gains. He said no one has any so no ones needs the tax break.

Now that is from the mouth. He gives cotton candy speeches with no substance and now it appears he needs a lesson it tax management.

maybe he would like to give cocaine sellers a tax break.

October 14, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  22. Michael

BIPARTISANSHIP FROM OBAMA AND NONE FROM MCCAIN.

MCCAIN IS FINISHED REPUBLICANS GO HOME!

October 14, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  23. TOM

It is funny how Hagel said Palin was not ready to be vp but does he really believe Obama is ready to be pres? Don't get me wrong I don't think palin is ready either but I think she has alot more experience than Obama. How many trips did obama make before running in this election? They all say obama has so much more foreign policy experience, what is it !! this is a man who went to half the countries in europe but has never been to Canada( largest trading partner and largest supplier of oil to the U.S) I would think you should visit those countries you actually need rather than those you want to like you.

October 14, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  24. Maryann Rose

Bern, I agree with you about Lou Dobbs, I used to like him, but I don't like what he's saying about ACORN, and Obama's so-called connection. I've been changing the channel when Lou is on now.

Sometimes Lou gets so mad, I think his head is going to explode. I worry that he might have a stroke on the air if he doesn't chill out a bit!

October 14, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Mr. Hopper:
    I think you said it yourself that the poll you link to is not scientific and surely contains a great deal of selection bias (who under 65 still has an AOL account?) I wouldn't get too excited about it, it's like looking at a poll of national review readers or Fox news watchers.

October 14, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |