October 15th, 2008

Relieved McCain aides thrilled over Bush one-liner

(CNN) – McCain aides expressed relief Wednesday night that the Arizona senator “finally” used a line that took on one of Obama’s central campaign themes.

Watch: I'm not Bush, McCain says

“Sen. Obama, I am not President Bush,” he said. “If you wanted to run against President Bush you should have run four years ago. I will take this country in a new direction."

McCain advisors – who said they had been pushing him to stress that distinction more explicitly than he had in the past - immediately uploaded the quote to YouTube, and circulated it to reporters.

Filed under: John McCain • Presidential Debate
  1. Bennie M

The GOP needs to be more worried about the mess-up McCain made when his jaw dropped when Obama responded over the Costs of the Obama reforms for small businesses and how much it would cost them "Zero". For me that trumps that silly "maverick" one-liner McCain put in there "I am not George Bush". Evidently you are because you still hold true to the same mindset "rush in and make accusations about something you know nothing about then sit back with your mouth gaping wide when you are proved wrong". Oh wait? Isn't that the "Dao of the Maverick"?

Game Over for McCain and Team Maverick

October 15, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  2. Sherry

McCain came across as angry and barely able to keep his temper from exploding. He also could NOT clearly say that he felt Palin was qualified to be President should it be necessary. He gave a lot over rhetoric about her connection to the American people and her embracing special needs, however he never said anything that I heard that clearly said she could step in.

October 15, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  3. Bill

Well McCain, your republican blindfoldet supporters where waiting
    that you crush Obama as you promised. How about it?

Haha Obama crushed you as I seen it. McCain was wrong again as always.

Sarah Palin now can lead the seperatist party in alaska, those
    Idiots might follow her blindly, but not women of america.

The first time I agree with McCain " GReat JOB OBAMA " !!!

Obama / Bidern 09

October 15, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  4. Independent for Obama!!

Mccain's camp should not be thrilled about the Bush comment, all it did was give Obama the opportunity to tell the world that Mccain has voted with Bush 90% of the time and guess what? that means he is another four years of Bush!

October 15, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  5. Stacey

This seems like a flash back, Bush running mate was Chaney, we have not seen him or heard from the man. Here come McCain with Palin as his running mate. Can you say four more years of the same fail politics. Put a fool in charge and an unqualified person as your VP, boy I am scared.

October 15, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  6. albert

obama had so many last points in this debat i don't know which one to believe.

October 15, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  7. M. Williams from Hempstead, New York

Sen.McCain is a politician, he should at lease try to be a diplomat with the facial expressions

October 15, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  8. James

McCain is Right he is not G W Bush, he is grumpier, ruder, more stubborn and much older egomaniac than Bush

October 15, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  9. Newton Lamb

Dear Mr John Mc Cain,
    I am honestly sorry for you. I did cried when we are American have to come this way. You had servered 50 years for American. You deserved what you had earned. Please don't fight. Let it go. Nobody understands what you offer for this country which is built 250 years.
    I am saying now and forever "Let American die with American". I am very proud of you. I growed up in this country, let me die with this country as American. You are ,for all, desever a president of United States
    NL

October 15, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  10. sarahinfla

McCain nor his campaign manager have stated how McCain is different than W. we are supposed to take there word at face value.

What is McCain going to cut and how is he going pay for it without raising taxes. That hacket just doesn't get it.

October 15, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  11. mdrift

This 95% line is a crock. 95% is for 2008. 2008 was centered around the Surge and tax relief.

The rest of the 7 years John McCain voted 81% his party line.

Barack Obama has voted > 90% party line his whopping 4 years in office.

October 15, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  12. CAROLYN

dana i know you travel where sen mcainbush , i saw your interview with him but you should have been stern and told him you will not give him a interview if sarah was'nt their to for you to speak to her as well.

October 15, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  13. Christina

i guess you guys can have "1" thing to hold onto with this "oneliner" but the truth is he may not look like bush, but he thinks and votes like bush over 90% of the time.....so you do the math.....we'll just call him "W" lol. go obama – you did it again. i am so looking forward to the "change"

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  14. phil

I think McCain came out strong and Bob gave McCain the last word on 80% which help McCains confedence. Sara had soccer mom with lipstick and Joe sixpack. Now McCain has Joe the plumber, I wonder if the Joe's are the same and are they seeing the soccer Mom?

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  15. Robin

Bush is a republican McCain is a republican... 12 years of republican controlled congress and 8 years of a republican president means McCain will be a 3rd term for Bush.

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  16. McCain/Palin = Shameful, hateful behaviour

Ohhhh – BEST line of the night: when David Gergen was asked 'Where does McCain go from here' – Gergen answered "Beats the hell out of me" ROTFL!!!

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  17. Obama Family, 1600 Pennsylvannia Ave

Again, does the GOP think that we are that shallow that we'll fall for one-liner? Apparently they didn't learn from shallowness of choosing Sarah Palin?

Barack Obama could have hammered John McCain the whole night however he took the high road!

If Joe wants to talk about campaign morals have his own VP stop saying lies about "palling" about with terrorists

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  18. gwen

He isn't like bush, at least not 1 out of five times he votes. LOL what a joke McCain has turned into.

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  19. Steven Teitzel

If Mcain, thinks Obama, thinks he's Pres.Bush, I'm even more worried about J.Mcains ptsd. 1 quip does not win my confidence. B.Obama tried to keep to the issues, and J.Mcains (sic)maverick, attitude showed me he still thinks he's in the terrible 60,s where young american soldiers had to face down state officials in the name of the constitution, which I have fought bled and killed for and under oath,swore to destroy the starlightscope and the army code book I was privliged to carry and if need be die,not ever surrender, to Die first and take as manyenemy with me as possible,fighterpilots bombed for me but I'm not seeing America First inMr.Mcain just the good ole boy let's you and him fight policy.

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  20. Hillary Supporter for McCain/Palin

McCain lost the debate – to little to late, yet I am voting for McCain/Palin.

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  21. Regena

Did you notice how he had to write it down to remember it? That's scary when you see someone picking up his pencil EVERYTIME he has a thought. What? Did he think he would forget? I thought he was going to poop on himself everytime he thought of a "zingger" statement to hit Obama with. The fact is he supported and supports 90% of Bush policies. A Bush he is not. But a mirror image he is.

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  22. L. MIAMI, FLORIDA

HERE IN MIAMI WE LOVE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA

OBAMA == PRESIDENTIAL, GIFTED, AND JUST THE RIGHT MAN TO BE OUR NEXT COMMANDER IN CHIEF !

OLD ANGRY MCSHAME == UNFIT TO COMMAND

GO OBAMA / BIDEN

October 15, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  23. VERONICA

I KNOW THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS HEADING, BUT I THOUGHT IT ODD THAT SENATOR MCAIN KEPT MENTIONING SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN WITH AUTISM, AND HOW SARA PALIN KNEW ALL ABOUT THAT. DOESN'T HER CHILD HAVE DOWN SYNDROME???? MAYBE THIS IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT, BUT YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD KNOW WHICH SPECIAL NEEDS HIS RUNNING MATE'S CHILD HAD...ANYWAY, I THOUGHT OBAMA WAS VERY CLEAR AND I UNDERSTOOD EVERYTHING HE SAID THAT WAS WITHIN MY ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND...ON THE OTHER HAND, I COULD NOT KEEP UP WITH MCAIN, HE SEEMED TO GO ALL OVER THE PLACE. IT WAS LIKE A ROLLER COASTER RIDE AND I DON'T LIKE ROLLER COASTERS...MY VOTE.....OBAMA ALL THE WAY!!!!

October 15, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  24. Zaritza Sanchez-Harris

McCain is not President Bush...that is where the comment should have ended. Sen. McCain continues to come across as a bully, discordial, no manner individual. I would not like him to represent me as a president of this great nation.

His sarcasm makes him seems like an old disgruntal man. Can you imagine the same kind of sarcasm with head of state of other nations? I would be horrified and humiliated.

October 15, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |