October 15th, 2008

Relieved McCain aides thrilled over Bush one-liner

(CNN) – McCain aides expressed relief Wednesday night that the Arizona senator “finally” used a line that took on one of Obama’s central campaign themes.

Watch: I'm not Bush, McCain says

“Sen. Obama, I am not President Bush,” he said. “If you wanted to run against President Bush you should have run four years ago. I will take this country in a new direction."

McCain advisors – who said they had been pushing him to stress that distinction more explicitly than he had in the past - immediately uploaded the quote to YouTube, and circulated it to reporters.

Filed under: John McCain • Presidential Debate
  1. Mike in Texas

Wow...They think one line will change this election. How pathetic

October 15, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  2. Dandelion.

"I am not a crook!"

October 15, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  3. Mary

Sorry, but your policies are not different enough for me. I am voting Obama

4. R. Squibbs

A one-liner doesn't change the facts that McCain proudly voted with Bush 90% of the time, and everyone already knows that.

Too little, too late.

Game over for McCain-Palin.

5. Scoti

I'm happy that the Republicans were happy over this one-liner zinged at Obama.
    Is there anything else that the Republicans were happy with besides that?

6. Dan in CHI

just because you say it doesn't make it true. You, sir, ARE George Bush. Only worse... you're not as stupid.

7. Amy

He may not be President Bush, but he sure acts like him with regard to his policies!

8. Jay

If they are "Thrilled" about that line, thats pretty sad.

9. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

He isn't Bush – he was beaten by Bush. He's a Bush wannabe.

10. JK

You have to act what you say, and he's a 95% Bush according to his decistions as Senator, so he's just as Bush

11. Sean

History dictates the future, Mr. McCain!

12. Katsolera

so he gets one line and now all is forgiven...he sure looks like Pres Bush's clone to me

13. Happy Smiley

Who cares. HE LOST THE DEBATE and unlike Obama, his approval rating declined!

14. McCain/Palin = Shameful, hateful behaviour

Rejoice all they may; the polls are showing that his 'favourables' dropped after the debate and that Obama was seen to win overwhelmingly.

McCain tried to get Obama mad and Obama didn't even twitch. McCain looked bad because he cannot hide his true feelings of contempt. Clearly, he believes that Obama is bad or evil – hence the grunts and twitches throughout.

15. FL Voter

Yet you voted 90% of the time in agreement with Big W? Senator McCain, you are a hypocrite.

Wonder what Joe the plumber has to say about that!

October 15, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  16. Dan, TX

That was McCain's best line ever. McCain is a good centrist and not one of those conservatives. He will be an excellent partner to President Obama and I'm sure they will work well together.

October 15, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  17. thorswitch

He says he's not Bush, but he also has bragged that he voted with Bush 90% of the time. 10% change is not enough. We need a lot more than that.

October 15, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  18. sjp

ok he's not bush, unless you look at his policies, then he's pretty much a body double.

October 15, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  19. Doreen

McCain clearly won. The pro-Obama media and pundits refuse go give McCain the credit he deserves. That's why the unbiased polls show the race tightening up.

October 15, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  20. Deb, Allentown,PA

Grasping at straws here, guys. I thought your candidate lost very soundly tonight. Angry, erratic, and I think he lost even more votes tonight.

But, that's just my opinion. I'm a huge Obama fan, and I was extremely impressed with my guy.

October 15, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  21. Sharon

Obama won. I fear for the country if McCain is in control...he is too unstable and angry.

October 15, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  22. Linda Schatzer

Oh arent you John McCain????? Then why are your policies same as his??????

October 15, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  23. Colene Rauh

I am astounded at the pundits on CNN stating how John McCain did so well and Obama was flat. Look at the polls, thank God the American people are smarter than the pundits and clearly see the difference. I see them all changing their tone now that the polls are coming in. Let's get honest here.

October 15, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  24. Jenny B.

Of course Obama is not running against W., just his twin!

October 15, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  25. freckles

A one liner doesn't change the policies. A one liner got a chuckle out of me BUT didn't / won't convince me that your policies are not the same as the policies of Bush.

October 15, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |