October 15th, 2008

Relieved McCain aides thrilled over Bush one-liner

(CNN) – McCain aides expressed relief Wednesday night that the Arizona senator “finally” used a line that took on one of Obama’s central campaign themes.

Watch: I'm not Bush, McCain says

“Sen. Obama, I am not President Bush,” he said. “If you wanted to run against President Bush you should have run four years ago. I will take this country in a new direction."

McCain advisors – who said they had been pushing him to stress that distinction more explicitly than he had in the past - immediately uploaded the quote to YouTube, and circulated it to reporters.

Filed under: John McCain • Presidential Debate
  1. Jeff

Am I the only one who got the feeling that Mc Cain thinks that Sarah Palin's baby is autistic? Not once, but twice during the debate he made reference to Palin, disabled children and Autism. That's pretty sad when you can't even remember what disability your running mate's child suffers from.

October 15, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  2. Walt

The one liner was a practiced sound bite pre-planned for any opportunity to use it. The more important discourse was the response of Obama to it.

John, if it look like a duck and it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck....it's s a duck. Bush is quacking and you're the ugly duckling.

3. Selena

No you are not BUSH! I believe you are worse than BUSH!

4. leba

"I am not Bush..blah, blah blah....same old policies, & negativity. McBush?

5. Kay

McCain is now trying to distance himself from President Bush. Sorry, too late McCain. You are not offering anything new, you are still just a continuation of the same.

6. Susanne NM

Poor McCain – 90 minutes and that is the best he had.
    No Way No How No McCain/Palin!

7. Ruby

I'm a military wife of the United States Air Force. Tonight debate made my decision. Senator Obama made sense and he focus on our Country s' problem, whereas Senator Mcain concentrated of negative attacks on Senator Obama and Senator Mcain looks like a madmen towards Senator Obama as if he wants to scream at Senator Obama while speaking. I'm sorry but our votes goes to Senator Barack Obama....Thank you.

8. davit

This isn't going to change a thing. McCain comes across as very smary. Not very appealing.

9. Tudor

Well, Obama isn't Bill Ayers. In fact he has less in common with Bill Ayers than McCain has with Bush.

10. Murlene McKinnon

I am an Independent who worked on John McCain's campaign 8 years ago in Michigan and helped deliver the primary to him. I worked the phones and rallies and was highly impressed by his integrity. I was disgusted with Bush's attacks and lies about Bush.

The John McCain I saw tonight, the tone of his adverts, and the nastiness of his VP candidate has disappointed and disgusted me. It is like I am looking at Bush all over again. I will be voting for Barack Obama

11. Garrett

I think Obama needs a history lesson on who started the sub prime mortgage crisis. It would be the democrats and Jimmy Carter. Bill Clinton further encouraged Fannie and Freddie to give low interest rates to high risk people. These are not Bush's policies but democrat policies. For six years things in the economy went well, then we elect democrats to Congress and things fall flat.

12. Good night McCain

McCain lost, I actually feel bad for McCain, he's way off balance.

13. Miss Patt

It's typical for the the McCain campaign to be so excited over one-liners, that don't require dealing with the issues. The McCain Palin campaign is tied to destructive, negative idealism and don't deal with the real issues of a majority of American citizens.

14. lbh

McCain came across as an inarticulate and maniacal old troll. He really was nasty and kept repeating himself and not finishing his sentences. He was terrible. And the very idea that sarah Palin is a role model of women is unpalatable. Nor am I interested in up over his crocodile tearing up over interest in special needs children. It was insincere and repulsive.

15. Wanda in Smyrna, GA

McCain is very angry because he is losing and he is about to explode. Imagine him in the white house...how scary! God help us if he wins. Obama was cool, calm, professional and presidential, as always. By the way, I voted today. PLEASE VOTE!!!

Obama/Biden '08

16. Pro

I am a independent voter, and i still do not like any of these guys!

But a 72 year old child can not be our President, he is rude, childish, and Mr. Angry Man. How would he treat other world leaders belly ache and cry just because he does not agree with them, make faces, grunts, a lie constantly. The is not what a President should do!

I am against Roe vs. Wade, but i feel that it is stupid to follow people around to see what they are doing as well.

17. Kathy DiGiovanni

Senator McCain has voted with President Bush the majority of the time and has stated he would carry out Bush's policies.

He has vacillated on the abortion issue for years and now is prolife.

He and Senator Palin seem to have severe eye disorders and need to be checked by an opthamologist !!!!!!

18. McWho??

THis was the closest debate but McCain still lost. Obama was without question more presidential. His plans are people based focused on education, healthcare, taxation etc. that would benefit and east the suffering of the majority of Americans who need the relief. He was able to explain his position on Free Trade even though McCain tried to paint him negatively

19. Darth Vadik, CA

He's not like Bush?!
    He changed every anti-Bush position to match Bush's poosition since 2000, sounds like Bush to me, a liar and hyporite too, at least Bush in his 8 tear old head thinks he's doing a good job and the "stupid" Americans just don't get it.

October 15, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  20. Cynthia Morris

So now Joe 6-pack is Joe the plumber? My husband is a painting contractor who employes 4 employees. Under Obama's plan we will be sooooo much better off – even FINALLY being able to offer health-care to our employees with a benefit to us.
    McCain is entirely out-of-touch with the real situation in middle America – especially small businesses, the backbone of our Nation – throughout all of our history. We may gross $180,000 + a year, but our net is, if we are lucky, 10%.
    McCain has been living off Cindy's money for far too long! He is as out of touch as Bush Sr. was when he went out to purchase socks!
    I so appreciate the statesmanship of Barack Obama – plus his too cool demeanor! This is what this country needs – not some hot headed draft-evading elitist or a "victim" of another failed war who cannot understand – God how can he not? – that war is NEVER the answer!

October 15, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  21. WyomingForObama

Lol... Once again, McCain blows it. His lame sarcasm and cartoon character freakish grins don't quite cut it. He sucked again.

Simple solution folks... it's an easy decision.

If you make over $250,000.00 per year, McLame is your man.
    If you make less than $250,000.00 per year, Obama is your man.

Vote with your brain this time, not your party.

If all else fails, imagine Palin becoming President... ? You'd have to be out of your mind to want that. The offspring of Roseanne & Larry the cable guy... Uh, some things are better left in Alaska.

October 15, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  22. Card carrying republican (former)

MCain = to G. Bush-100%

October 15, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  23. C Newcomb

It's about time that McCain spoke out and defended him-self! He's been so mealy mouth.
    It still bothers me with the isues of Obama. How can he give 95% of the taxpayers a tax cut? Who is going to pay for all of the programs he proposes? for the bail-out bill?
    Don't any of them get it? Give US the taxpayer MORE money $$$$ and we'll SPEND it. That in it's self will be do enough to create more jobs and dump more money into the economy.

October 15, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  24. Firefly

Yes, I agree. Does he knows the Sarah's son has DS not Autism? is he losing his marbles, he is on national TV, you can't make a mistake. What is this was a mistake between pressing the red button or blue button? God Help us all.

October 15, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  25. Luther

The bottom line is: Thinkers will vote for McCain. Delusional malcontents will vote for Obama. Obama's whole campaign is Bush = Bad so vote for me (even though I've never done a thing to show I'm presidential). McCain has taken that away from the phony baloney Obama. Why is it that the majority of Obama voters seem to be miserable, angry morally-losse people?

October 15, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |