October 15th, 2008

Relieved McCain aides thrilled over Bush one-liner

(CNN) – McCain aides expressed relief Wednesday night that the Arizona senator “finally” used a line that took on one of Obama’s central campaign themes.

Watch: I'm not Bush, McCain says

“Sen. Obama, I am not President Bush,” he said. “If you wanted to run against President Bush you should have run four years ago. I will take this country in a new direction."

McCain advisors – who said they had been pushing him to stress that distinction more explicitly than he had in the past - immediately uploaded the quote to YouTube, and circulated it to reporters.

Filed under: John McCain • Presidential Debate
  1. Elaine

The people should wake up . What has McCain show the people, but the same old stuff that Bush has done. He will do the same as Bush . People should wake up and see just what is going on. We are in trouble now, and what do you think it will be like if MC CAIN get in there. At these meeting MCCAIN don;t know what to say. Just look at his face when he is talking. He goes off track all the time. And how does MCCAIN think PALIN is better then JOE BIDDEN. PALIN mess up ALASKA. How good would she be here in office as anything. MCCAIN lies about eveything he says. How could we trust him. People wake up before it is to late.

October 15, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  2. S. Oh

I do not agree with the commentators that McCain appeared angry. He appeared to listen closely to Obama's comments, that look to me is concentration look not angry look.

I find that women's orange squiggly lines are always up when Obama speaks. Are they listening to his words, or turning the dial because of his looks?

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  3. D E FROM IL

YA YOU MAY NOT BE BUSH BUT YOU VOTED FOR HIM AND SAID YOU SUPPORT BUSH. FOR THE LAST 26 YEARS YOU HAVE BEEN IN OFFICE THE ONLY ONES YOU HAVE LOOKED OUT FOR WAS PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU..... JUST LOOK WHERE YOU GREAT EXPERIENCE HAS BROUGHT US. HALF OF THIS COUNTRY IS IN DEBT. THE PART IS HOLDING ON FOR DEAR LIFE,AND YOU THINK YOU SOMEHOW KNOW HOW TO HELP US SOMEMORE. THANKS BUT NO THANKS GO AWAY .....

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  4. Connie C

Too bad there was "debate" BEFORE this comment, and "debate" AFTER this comment. The little curmudgeon got in one good comment...big deal.

I like that Sen. Obama always takes the high road. Trying to argue with McCain would be trying to argue with a petulant 2-year-old.

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  5. Winnie Hussein.... in Montana

Hmm, my comment was moderated and found lacking. Interesting.

What I want to know is why has McCain, who says he has always repudiated other people's ignorant comments, never, NEVER repudiated any of Sarah Palin's lies and attacks?

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  6. lol

obama will raise taxes. he is a marxist, socialist who will tax every working american. americans will be punished for being successful.capitalism will be replaced by socialism. most economist agree within 3 years under obama's socialist plan, america will be in a depression.

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  7. FemaleAgainstPalin

He might not be Bush, but his policies are THE SAME!

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  8. Julie

Who cares if McCain is not Bush? Geez. McCain has failed to answer my concerns, and his pick of VP scares me - and I AM A FEMALE. She is afraid to talk to media, she has ethics issues, she thinks women should carry a child from a rapist. Can McCain really support her? Obama is just much more rational.

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  9. Just Another Joe

If you thought McCain won this debate, you may be thinking that his combativeness made him seem strong. He spent a lot of time attacking Obama and you can spend time later fact checking his attacks. Can someone point out the fact that McCain was repeating false comments about Obama's positions? And did you listen to how McCain would address some of our major issues in his own administration like education reform? If you did then you would realize he didn't offer many suggestions and very little details. How can anyone think he won this? Were they not listening?

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  10. natalie

I'm voting on the abortion issue because we'll always have money problems or tax issues. The declaration of independance calls for the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. There cannot be pursuit of happiness without life.

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  11. Carlos Ramirez

Hello ,
    I am not Joe the plummer but Carlos the window cleaner.
    Obama spoke clear to me their issues especially when it comes to health care.$5000.00 from Mcains plan does not help me because with a pre existing condition I get turned down any way.

Obama ,s plan helps me and my family amd my employees to help us purchase affordable health care .Makes more sense .
    Carlos The Window Cleaner.

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  12. kathy4change

Forget about the one-liner – Mc Cain showed America he is rude and disrespectful. He kept interrupting Obama, rolling his eyes and making faces. Do we want a President who behaves like this? Certainly not the "cool hand" but rather a grumpy, angry old man! GAME OVER! Mc Cain just doesn't cut it! How could he reach across the aisle with his attitude which was clearly on display tonight? Very angry, mean-spirited and divisive! Go OBAMA/BIDEN!

October 15, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  13. maurice

or 95% *

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  14. Former republican

I am supporting Obama this time because of PALIN.

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  15. Carol

McCain supporters are thrilled over a one-liner??? I suppose when you support McCain/Palin, you would be thrilled... Not much else to be thrilled over!

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  16. Christy Rawlings

joesixpack, you crack me up. We all know what your looking for in a President and VP canidate. Especially the VP part.

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  17. Georgia Voter

As a Georgia voter I am not looking for McCain to say he is not Bush. I am looking for him to prove in in his policy ideas for the economy. healthcare and education. I remeber that some of McCain's arguements mirrored exactly Goerge Bush's during his campaign. It is safe to say w have seen the results

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  18. Firefly

I like this "JOE the PLUMBER means Palin's buddy Joe Six-pack got a job."See now he got the publicity and he will be able to buy that company...Thanks to Obama for making him famous.

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  19. FROM SWING STATE

DID YOU SEE MCSAME'S FACIAL EXPRESSION WHEN OBAMA STARTED TO TALK TO JOE THE PLUMER. MCSAME LOOKED JUST SHOCKED AND FROZEN!!!!!!!!
    IT WAS JUST PRICELESS.

IN TOP 5% AND YES I WOULD VOTE FOR OBAMA FOR THE COUTRY

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  20. Cynthia; Bham

The one thing that I did notice in the debate was that John McCain and Sarah Palin debate alike – they say what they want to see even if it does not apply to the question asked.

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  21. Rightsaid

Woohoo. A good practiced line.

Too bad it was just another lie.

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  22. cyrusk

McCain cannot get away from GW Bush. He has boasted that he voted with Bush / for Bush 90 % of the time.
    McCain has supported Bush's failed and misguided foreign policty.
    including pointless war in Iraq and still supporting him.
    Like GW Bush , McCain has not offered any timetable and exit plan from Iraq.
    They, Bush and McCain say, victory is just around the corner.
    After 7 years of reckless war, which was started on misguied alegations and pure lies, still they have no idea how to get out of Iraq hole. They keep digging and burrying American solders and taxpayers money in that hole, while Osama Binladen and AlQuida are running loose in pakistan and Afghanistan.

If, McCain, is not McSame, he should have critisized Bush policies throughout his campaign, day in and day out. But he never has.
    Because he is playing politics by not getting tangled with the GOP political machine. And American people know that, and obviously Obama knows that too.

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  23. Steven A. Dejesus

Why is no one nailing McCain on how much health care really cost. My wifes company pays $17,000 per year for our health care. His $5000 isn't even a down payment. Come on people wake up. And his doing away with capital gains tax only helps the who make over a million a year. Ninety percent of us will never get a capital gains tax break.

October 15, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  24. Ljo`

Whoopee! The cranky old man got to use his canned one liner. I wonder if he thought of that himself because he certainly doesn't use his own mind on the economy or health care. I think the only thing he does speak his own mind on is abortion and he is scary! How can he not consider the life of the mother before the baby?
    Loser!

October 15, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  25. Jane

As has been noted at this site before, it's so sad that some of the most vocal Obama supporters also seem to be very illiterate posters. Lucky for them it doesn't take too much intelligence to go into a voting booth & register their vote.

October 15, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |