October 15th, 2008

Relieved McCain aides thrilled over Bush one-liner

(CNN) – McCain aides expressed relief Wednesday night that the Arizona senator “finally” used a line that took on one of Obama’s central campaign themes.

Watch: I'm not Bush, McCain says

“Sen. Obama, I am not President Bush,” he said. “If you wanted to run against President Bush you should have run four years ago. I will take this country in a new direction."

McCain advisors – who said they had been pushing him to stress that distinction more explicitly than he had in the past - immediately uploaded the quote to YouTube, and circulated it to reporters.

Filed under: John McCain • Presidential Debate
  1. Lisa

I'm GOBSMACKED! and INFURIATED! the McCain would dare utter the phrase "Pro Abortion"! How disgusting to say that people who believe that a decision as huge as this one, is personal and private, is PRO ABORTION! Sick!!! What an out of touch loon! I'm disgusted by him!

October 15, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  2. Kiah

Wonder how "relieved" they are knowing that their candidate has LOST each and every debate handily according to the American people.

While they're happy about one-liners Obama is delivering entire thorough debate performances. Get a clue people!

October 15, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  3. Oklahoma Woman for Obama 08

Yes, it was a one liner...and that's about it. in that setting mccain looked like he was giving a last ditch effort to 'attack' instead of explain the issues and detals.

October 15, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  4. Billy

McCain isn't Bush but he sure follows Bush's economic policy as if he were McBush.

October 15, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  5. Obama Wins!

No, he's not Bush the person....but he IS Bush the policies.

October 15, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  6. Deb, Allentown,PA

Grasping at straws here, guys. I thought your candidate lost very soundly tonight. Angry and erratic; I think he lost even more votes tonight.

But, that's just my opinion. I'm a huge Obama fan, and I was extremely impressed with my guy.

October 15, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  7. Leslie from IL

No McCain is not President Bush...fortunately! However, he has voted with President Bush 90% of the time.

The sad thing about McCain's debating is when legislation that Bush created that has simply NOT worked was brought up (No Child Left Behind) McCain offered no real possible changes or solutions.

October 15, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  8. disgusted

2 words...

Big deal.

9. Laura

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's a duck. Kinda the same with McCain and Bush.....

10. Penni Bingaman

John McCain is not a great debater, but he clearly won this debate.

11. joel palmer

No he's not George Bush; but he did stay at a Holiday Inn and he did vote the Bush line 95% of the time

He ain't Bush but he is a pretty good imitation

12. African-TruthTeller, Colorado Springs, Colorado

It doesn't matter because the truth is in the corner.

13. john Morrison

Only one comment on the "I'm not President Bush" line:

Where's the beef.

14. Robert Calm

When you argree with Bush most of the time...in essence you are running against Bush! What's sooo hard to understand about that???

15. Micky

Why would they be thrilled? I am sure it was a VERY PLANNED one liner. Give me a break, spiiners. We are not that stupid.

16. Kevin

Jane,
    If you watch CNN and NBC they only trash Palin, say untriths about her. I talked to someone who has lived in Alaska 24 years and she says she is a fantastic Governor, she has done more in two years than most do in 4 or more.
    Obama way tooo liberal for me.

17. Larian LeQuella

While it was a good one liner, that it took McCain 3 debates to finally have ONE good line...

He's become a former shell of himself. Ever since the 2000 defeat, he's become a pandermonkey willing to do and say anything just to get votes. He certainly does NOT have mine.

18. Ons

I think Obama did real good in handling the issue of education , economy and he gave specification and insights on how he will achieve success on this while McCain was trying to drag in the issue of division, McCain was the first to run negative ads and he could not even defend himself neither could he defend Sarah’s comments. Obama was clear to the point and specification and McCain was just trying to get the whole debate to Lewis comments forgetting his running mates comments on Obama, Obama portrayed leadership while McCain was on Karl Rove style of politics that people are tired of already. McCain thought he will get Obama on abortion but the answer Obama gave was clear we need to relax the whole adoptions process do you know why it’s Easy to Adopt from China that from here? We need to work together in educating young people. McCain said am not Bush but that’s the same failed policies you are running on Obama has clear vision to what he will do and achieve. McCain portrayed himself as the same gloomy John McCain with the same message I don’t understand the economy but I know how to throw temperament around while Obama looked more professional and focused

Thank you Obama awesome job not forgetting Joe

19. Alexandria

Mc Cann isn't president Bush? who knew? they have the same speech writer, the same plans... hmm could of fooled me!!

20. j

It would might have had some impact had it been delivered in the 1st debate. This late, he's already seen as married to George Bush, so I don't expect much traction from it.

October 15, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  21. Chris (South Carolina)

No you aren't George Bush, you might be worse.

At least Bush didn't mess with my health care.

22. jenny from nyc

he cried out like a little kid stomping his foot on the ground - i am NOT george bush you meanie!!!

23. Bud

Wow... if that line thrilled them... the mccain campaign is done. Not only was it flat... he came across as someone about to explode from anger. It also had no effect on the real time feelings of independents watching.

24. MATT WILL, W-S N.C.

McCain, is very, very ,very ,crazy. He lost the debate. So what he got a punch in. McCain is noW punch drunk, because Obama whip that butt. Can you say, "KO"

25. Richard

It's about time McCain defended himself against these invalid Bush attacks.

October 15, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |