October 15th, 2008

Relieved McCain aides thrilled over Bush one-liner

(CNN) – McCain aides expressed relief Wednesday night that the Arizona senator “finally” used a line that took on one of Obama’s central campaign themes.

Watch: I'm not Bush, McCain says

“Sen. Obama, I am not President Bush,” he said. “If you wanted to run against President Bush you should have run four years ago. I will take this country in a new direction."

McCain advisors – who said they had been pushing him to stress that distinction more explicitly than he had in the past - immediately uploaded the quote to YouTube, and circulated it to reporters.

Filed under: John McCain • Presidential Debate
  1. John

McCain says he is getting rid of the "old boy network"??.....Hey John, you are the old boy network!

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  2. Whitney Danielle

To Obama 4 President...

McCain can say that he is not Bush with a straight face because he is use to lying to American's just like Bush! He's lied all throughout his campaign and it's the most disgusting campaign I hope I will ever witness in my lifetime!

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  3. Crystal Shaw

One Liner vs "That One"

4 debate wins for Obama/Biden...

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  4. Pat, Pa.

I disagree Penni. The man looked as though he was going to snap at any moment,. he laughed inappropriately, he was breathing heavily, his face shows how much he hates Obama. In the meantime look at how cool Obama remains no matter what is said.

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  5. Patrick

This is why McCain is losing. His advisers are morons. That was one of the weakest one-liners of the debate. How about the one-liner where McCain admits he doesn't care about women's "health" or the "health" of the mother (his quotes, not mine).

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  6. Hal, Redondo Beach, CA

John you obviously have all the depth of knowledge about the economy that McCain and George Jr. do!!

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  7. Obama Supporter

Joe the Plumber is the only one going to vote for McCain, lol jp. But anyway how do I cast my vote on the cnn flash poll. I wish Obama would have nailed McCain on the question about the VP becoming president. Obama could have brought up so many things about Palin, but it was too easy. Obama stayed cool because he know the American people already know how dumb Palin is. It would have just wasting his breath telling the people something that they already know.

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  8. Pat

People don't seem to understand....President Bush is not completely to blame for this situation. He inherited much from Clinton, Bush Sr, Reagan, Carter, etc. Obama complained about Fox News being biased, funny, I thought ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN are biased towards democrats. If Obama is elected, he must represent the other 50 percent of the country that don't believe 100% with him either.

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  9. DGee

I have to admit it was a good line, but totally meaningless. I'm sure it wasn't at all spontaneous either.

McCain himself must have been just "Thrilled" himself that he had the opportunity to use it.

It is a shame that it takes so little to "Thrill" them at this point isn't it?

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  10. NB, OH

No one is saying McCain is Bush in a physical sense. Hello, that is quite obvious. But it’s a metaphor for the past 8 years of Bush policies. In that sense one can’t really separate McCain from Bush, except in some issues. However, it is fair to say that McCain administration would look very similar to Bush’s in terms of foreign policy, economic policy, healthcare, trade, etc. and we are sick of the past 8 years and want a new direction for this country.

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  11. Pete Turner

McCain's aides are thrilled that he said he's not Bush? Pathetic! He has nothing of substance to say and looks very un-Presidiential compared to his unflappable opponent.

October 15, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  12. m. williams

I personally thinks that Sen.Obama came out the winner!
    Sen. McCain came out looking like a grumpy old man ,and that is not the personality of a president that I want.

October 15, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  13. Cynthia; Bham

Hey what happened to my comment.

I can't tell the difference between Bush and McCain – the only difference is Bush is goofy and McCain is an angry old man.

October 15, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  14. NB

If anybody say they are undecided or leaning to McCain after watching the debate it will be stupid. If you are not Bush why were you supporting him on all the key issues. McCain is nothing but sick old man he should be defeted for the sake of our country.

October 15, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  15. texas aggie democrat

I am so tired of everyone saying John McCain is George Bush!!!!! I'm outraged!!!! He is only 91% George Bush!!!!!!!

October 15, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  16. anne

When McCain is no longer surrounded by people from the Bush team then McCain can talk. McCain = Bush...or actually even worse than Bush and I never thought that could be possible. McCain reminded me of an odd child who kept acting up saying "it's unfair!! wah wah" during the debate tonight and Obama had to be the adult, like always.
    McCain and Palin can't go away fast enough for me!

Obama08!!

October 15, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  17. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Rick Davis has been in Cindy's drug stash. He looks mean as McBush.

October 15, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  18. Candy

Fantastic!!!!! I think he should have asked him about the Messiah comment from Lewis Farrakhan or the 20 something years he spent listening to Rev. Wright spew hate.
    Go McCain!!!

October 15, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  19. Karen from Columbus, Ohio

What was John McCain refering to in his statement about the "Gold Plated Cadillac package... in regards to health insurance or was he trying to make another statement. Did he not in fact shift that comment with a bunch of hogwash, but truly intended on saying something else. Obama/Biden 2008 no doubt

October 15, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  20. Mike in PA

McCain isn't president bush, he's John McCain. But that doesn't mean he didn't vote with Bush 95% of the time and have the same views as Bush.

FAIL

October 15, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  21. Parag

I do agree! McCain is different from Bush !
    One is an old angry loser, other is an idiot..

October 15, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  22. chyanne

It took 2wks & a room full of repubbots to come up with that one line. Ha! It's the only thing anyone will remember JM saying in all three of the debates. HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Oh, by the way, he WOULD be another 4yrs of bush.

October 15, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  23. Jennifer from Atlanta

It was a cute soundbite but not convincing at all. 90% of the time he voted with Bush, he said it himself. Now all the sudden he's Bush's mortal enemy. PULEEEZE.

October 15, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  24. Montalvo

Barack did not attack Palin, he, in fact, praised her and her record in Alaska. He stayed composed, despite the fact that she has been the one stumping that Obama "is not one of us," and "pals around with terrorists," both of which are misleading, if not completely inaccurate."

October 15, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  25. Not fooled

He is not Bush but he'll govern like him. My way or the high way. Not good for America – not good for our foreign relations.

I'm not going to hang my kids education or my kids safety on a ONE LINER.

October 15, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |