October 15th, 2008

Trump: I wanted Bush impeached

Trump says that Bush got the US into a war with Iraq using lies.
Trump says that Bush got the US into a war with Iraq using lies.

(CNN) – Business mogul Donald Trump told CNN Wednesday House Speaker Nancy Pelosi should have sought to impeach President Bush when she had the chance.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Trump said the president and his administration deliberately lied about the Iraq war, and congressional Democrats missed an opportunity to impeach him when the party took control of Congress in 2006.

Watch the full interview on The Situation Room at 4 and 6 p.m. ET.

"I was surprised that she didn't do more in terms of Bush and going after Bush," Trump said. "It was almost - it just seemed like she was going to really look to impeach Bush and get him out of office, which personally I think would have been a wonderful thing."

Pressed why he feels Bush deserved the punishment faced by only two other commanders-in-chief, Trump said the president misled the country in the run-up to the Iraq war, and that his actions were considerably more objectionable than those which led to the impeachment of former President Bill Clinton.

"He lied. He got us into the war with lies," Trump said. And I mean - look at the trouble Bill Clinton got into with something that was totally unimportant. And they tried to impeach him, which was nonsense. And yet Bush got us into this horrible war with lies, by lying, by saying they had weapons of mass destruction, by saying all sorts of things that turned out not to be true."

In the wide-ranging interview set to air on CNN's The Situation Room at 4 and 6 p.m. Wednesday, Trump also praised John McCain and said the Arizona senator still has a chance to win the White House despite recent polls showing he is substantially trailing Barack Obama.

Watch: I'd hire McCain, says Trump

"He's a very smart guy, he's a tough guy," he said. "I think he'd be a great president. But, he has to be John McCain and he could still probably pull it out. But, it's going to be tough."

Trump also advised the Republican presidential nominee to stay positive at Wednesday's final presidential debate and communicate clear plans to fix the nation's financial crisis.

"He has to come up with plans and not political plans, real plans. And they have to be very, very economy-based," Trump said. " I think the economy seems to be weighing down everything."

Trump praised Republican VP Sarah Palin, whom he first met Tuesday night at a New York fundraiser, and said he would trust her to run the economy.

"I can only go by the people of Alaska," she said. "She's got the highest rating in the whole Unites States, as being the most popular governor."

1. GET REAL.

Can we get statements from Oprah, Bono, Kid Rock, Warren Buffett, and every other name in the news too? Why Trump? 'Cause he makes vodka now?

Stop trying to heighten the tension CNN. Go read Newsweek's recent "Stumper"... you all know you're just trying to make this a close race when it's not one. Articles like this don't change anyone's mind.

October 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. Frank,MO

Trump, huh ? I guess he does not like to be in th 5% that will pay more taxes. I am part of the 95% who will NOT pay higher taxes. Cheers !

OBAMA'08

October 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. keeth in california

Impeach Bush but trust Palin after she violated the law in Alaska?!? Trump, you've lost it. You're fired!

October 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. Tim in Seattle

While I can't stand this man, and his praise of Palin is pure idiocy, wanting Bush impeached is the smartest thing I've ever heard come out of his mouth....

October 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. Jason Hussein Obama

Uhm – Trump you do realize if they had impeached bush Dick Chaney would have become president. I don't think anyone would have wanted that.

October 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  6. Donald's wedlocked Son

i dont know what my dad was thinking but umm probably wouldn't have Palin work for him nevertheless have the spare keys to the country. Who is he fooling? He needs to be impeached too.

October 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. Andy

Bush: You're fired.

October 15, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  8. SoCal

It's curious how Trump is outraged because Bush lied, but doesn't seem to worry much about a candidate – McCain – who's running a campaign of lies and distractions..

October 15, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  9. Eric

How to contradict oneself and look like a complete fool. Be right on Bush only to fail to see that Palin is just the worst version of the former.

October 15, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  10. Mike, VA

You go Donald!

October 15, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. bee-dubbs

Lets see now, how do you get a high favorability rating as a governor?

1. Get elected in a one party, low population state
    2. Look nice enough
    3. Pay every resident an annual stipend just for living in the state.

Seems Palin's rating is easy to come by...

October 15, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. BM

Your man, McAin voted for the war, Mr. Trump or did you know? I guess you are too rich to read or keep up with anything, but your money.

October 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. David

It's a slow news day when someone interviews Trump for his political opinion.

October 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  14. Get Real

I just saw the funniest signs to describles McCain and Palin

Sign 1:
    McCain and Palin = Incontinence and Incompetence

Sign 2:
    McCain and Palin = Unstable and Unable

October 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  15. Ya_Ya

Impeached?? I'd rather see him prosecuted.

October 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  16. Nick Wright

I think part of The Donald's brain is dead. If you think Bush did such a bad job, why would you embrace his policies by supporting McCain?

October 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. Anonymous

The guy is smart... he should've been impeached years ago!

October 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. Scott

Uh, Trump does realize who would become President if Bush was impeached, right? (Hint: It's not Trump, although that would almost definitely be better than the Constitutionally-required replacement.)

October 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. K

ME TOO Donald...me too. You may be a pompous windbag, totally detached from the real world....but you are right about this one.

October 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  20. Biff

Trump wants Bush impeached... but he trusts Palin with the economy...... HUH ???

DUDE'S COMB OVER MUST BE TOO TIGHT OR SOMETHING...

October 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  21. JM

I have to agree with Donald Trump Sarah Palin would do well with the economy. With the plan Obama has seems to be socialist.

October 15, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  22. Daryl in Seattle

How contradictory can you be? You want to see Bush impeached, but Sarah Palin is a wonderful governor? Trump just wants the tax cuts that come with a Republican president. The guy is a miser.

October 15, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  23. Another Republican for Obama

Trump, I've got good news and bad news –

You're HIRED: For call to impeach Bush

You're FIRED: For gawking at Unaware & Abusive Palin

Obama/Biden '08

October 15, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  24. Betty

I think he's just saying this because he likes McCain and is trying to separate McCain from Bush

October 15, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  25. Preco, NY

Trump said. "It was almost — it just seemed like she was going to really look to impeach Bush and get him out of office, which personally I think would have been a wonderful thing."

I got news for you my friend, We the American people will not allow "BUSH 44" anywhere near the white house this time around. We are very clear on that.

McCain represents ALL OF BUSH and more.

We will not go the impeachment route we will simply NOT VOTE FOR McCAIN!!!! ENOUGH OF BUSH!!!

October 15, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |