October 16th, 2008

No mention of North Carolina early voting from Palin

Palin stumped in traditionally-red North Carolina Thursday
Palin stumped in traditionally-red North Carolina Thursday

ELON, North Carolina (CNN) – Thursday marked the first day of early voting in North Carolina, a state unaccustomed to being in the political spotlight this late in a presidential election year.

But at an afternoon rally at Elon University near Greensboro, Republican Sarah Palin did not offer her supporters even the gentlest reminder that early voting - an opportunity both parties are working to take advantage of - is now underway at nearly 400 sites across the battleground state. Long lines at one-stop voting locations have been reported throughout North Carolina.

She did, however, mention the 85 degree heat.

“Thank you all for that very, very warm welcome to beautiful North Carolina, and it is warm,” she said. “Man, this Alaskan gal is … I’m roasting. This feels really good.”

Palin’s speech lasted only about 20 minutes, and was an abbreviated version of the remarks she delivered this morning in Maine: a brisk run-through of her ticket’s beliefs and platforms, including a one-line promise to protect Second Amendment rights.

In fact, the audience spent more time with country singer Hank Williams, Jr., who donned a Carolina Panthers jersey and warmed up the already warm crowd for about 45 minutes before Palin arrived on a local version of the Straight Talk Express along with North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr.

Near the end of her speech, Palin pressed the audience to stand firm against accusations of negative campaigning, and told them to pay “close attention” to Barack Obama’s record.

“It’s not mean-spirited and it’s not negative campaigning when you call someone out on their record,” she said. “So don’t let anyone, don’t let them make you believe that you’re being negative or mean spirited or unpatriotic or unfair when you are asking about somebody’s record, OK?”

After the rally, Palin continued on to a fundraiser at a home in Greensboro.

Filed under: North Carolina • Sarah Palin
  1. Georgia Gal

Clueless as ever, Sarah.

October 16, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  2. Chi4Obama

Thank goodness we only have to listen to her lies and pandering for only 3 more weeks.

Sarah Palin is an insult to "Pitbulls" everywhere.

3. N Gee

Palin is in Obama Country where the research triangle Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill and the Piedmont Triad Greensboro, Winston Salem High Point 10 universities 4 of which are historically black...... Good Luck NC is "slipsliding away" (James Taylor not willie nelson)

4. Amy, Scranton

Joe Biden did so well in his debate with Sarah Palin that when they both held rallies in Joe's home town of Scranton–Sarah outdrew him 2:1.

Sounds like Gore in Tenn.–LOVE IT.

5. Donna

Vote everyone!!! It is a privilege!
    Oh and... Obama/Biden 08!

6. Jeffer65

Is this really news? I don't trust these polls. Something could still happen and McCain could get lucky.

7. Cindy Nelson

That is because she is clueless.
    I really am hopeful that she will just go away after November 4th.
    If she gets some talk show, I'm going to puke.

8. Kish from Britain

shes such a sissy............I'm sure she wasnt told to say that.........how pathetic

9. Cynthia

Yay Obama!

10. Somerset

We need you in INDIANA. Come rally us, Obama/Biden

11. CHERYL IN FLORIDA

Oh,
    SHUT UP!

12. fontayne earle

I've noticed that all of the comments are pro Obama. However, I personally I don't know one person voting for him. I have no reason to believe that he is a bad person. I just disagree with him on most things. I don't believe in socialize medicine, redistribution of wealth, or abortion. I believe that John McCain will keep us safe. I'm not wealthy but I believe americans have the right to keep what they earn. I don't like what this country has become. The ugly things people say. In the south we not taught to be politically correct, we are taught manners and how to treat all people with respect. If Barack Obama is elected I will treat him with respect because he is the leader of this great country.

13. Olivia

I'm sure these people are savvy as to what voting is going on.
    Stop critisizing Palin on what she should have done.
    She's doing a pretty good job so far and will make a good vp.

14. Jeanette

What an idiot.

15. old white woman in NC

We in North Carolina put out the hot seat for Palin! Boy, she really is a Manchurian candidate, isn't she?

16. Jeff G

Palin rocks.

McCain 08
    Palin 09

17. Jeanne Bean

She's roasting? LOL–you'll be rosting more in a few weeks, then fully roasted, then overdone and burned...then we throw you out. You're dead meat after Nov. 4.

October 16, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. kristin

I agree it's not mean spirited to call someone out on their record. Thats why I think we shlold look in to her record on wildlife, or why she would want to destoy salmon in Bristol Bay by letting them build the biggest copper mine in in salmon breeding ground, Or how bout we look at her and her husbands record on support to have Alaska secede from the rest of us. No- not mean and all gosh darnit.

October 16, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. M.H.

Palin thinks she is roasting in the North Carolina climate .... wait until election day. You'll be panting at the mouth stupid pitbull. With or without lipstick, you'll be roasted!

Obama/Biden '08

October 16, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  20. Abby

I see the paid McCain bloggers are out in full force this afternoon...A debate rear whopping g will do that to you. LOL.

Obama 08!

October 16, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  21. Shari, NY

Perhaps she was not aware of the early voting privilege, just like she was unaware that the Russians were in Alaska on oil business a few days ago.

October 16, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  22. Kurt Stenzel

Sarah, I believe YOUR record was just called out as being "unethical abuse of power" or something like that... not to be mean spirited. And hey, I noticed old Hank Williams Jr. with a Conferederate hat on at one of your rallies– I take that as a little mean spirited.

October 16, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  23. Ellie in Aurora, CO

I bet she really said "toastin'", gosh-darn, dad-gum it!!

October 16, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  24. facts are facts

You can still see the paid Republican trolls blogging the GOP lies and slander. Give it up people you're history.

October 16, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  25. Jocely

I am sure there is a job for Pelin on comedy TV.

J.