October 16th, 2008

Obama to supporters: Don’t get ‘cocky’

Obama does not want his supporters to get too comfortable with his recent lead in the polls.

NEW YORK (CNN) – He may hold the edge in most polls with just 19 days to go, but Barack Obama can’t relax, pointing to the ghosts of election nights past.

“For those of you who are feeling giddy or cocky and think this is all set, I just say one word - I guess it’s two words for you - New Hampshire,” Obama told a high-dollar fundraiser crowd in Manhattan, referencing his loss to Hillary Clinton in January’s primary. “I’ve been in these positions before where we are favored and the press starts getting carried away and we end up getting spanked … and so we want to make sure we are closing strong, right through the tape.”

The morning after the last presidential debate, Obama displayed a mix of wistfulness and humor about one part of the political process coming to an end.

“We had a fun night last night. I’m deeply sad that after 26 debates we have no more debates,” he said to laughter. “I was hoping to have several more.”

At a breakfast that pulled in at least $3.6 million for the Obama Victory Fund, the Democratic nominee said “we are now 19 days not from the end but from the beginning,” emphasizing the amount of work and the number of challenges the next president will face. He asked those in attendance for more help going forward.

“I’m going to need all of you in that process not just for campaign support and financial support. Once we’re done there’s extraordinary expertise in this room ,and we’re going to need good advice and who knows there might even be some of you who decide that you want to spend a little time in government, and we’re going to need people who are willing to roll up their sleeves and make sure that Washington and Wall Street and the country as a whole are working in ways that leave a better future for our children,” he said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ex-Republican for Obama

I love how we have done in the past eight years. We are completely in great shape. I think all of our spending and excess and still being in Iraq is fabulous. I think McCain will help continue this monumental up turn that americans are experiencing right now.

Sarah is the smartest person in the world and she has loads of foreign experience. She is so honest and virtuous with so much wisdom from all of her schools and beauty pageants. She has Todd to help her run the country if by chance she has to step in to replace John.

John was a POW...he is a complete success. He managed to crash five planes, successfully living every time he crashed them. He successfully denied me better veterans benefits and he successfully left his disfigured wife and family for an adultress (he succesfully cheated on his wife even before divorcing her). He successfully ran a campaign as promised, not to go negative but to keep it to the 'straight talk'. He successfully avoided prison in regards to the Keating Five and he successfully voted with the best president ever, George W. Bush.

I'm voting McCain because he is so great and our country is in such great shape from the policies he has supported his entire career.

October 16, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  2. Jack

Barack all the way. I don't understand why anyone will vote for McSame and Gov. Stal-en. Her voice is driving me crazy and it is cracking my windows. She is sooo fake, and talk too much trash, but yet she seems to avoid all the tough questions. Please go back to Alaska where you came from. John McSame tried to put Barack on Defense and couldn't get the job down, so he showed his true colors. I can't see why anyone would want to vote for him. Conservatives are "clueless"!!!!

October 16, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. bigl7855

Joe the plumber is right! Redistribution of wealth is Socialism at its finest.. Hey you liberals, how is Comrade Obama going to pay for all of his plans? Don't you realize we are already broke? Increasing spending is not the answer!

October 16, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. j

I'm planning to volunteer to help campagin for Obama – that's how much I trust the polls. I've already voted, but I'd like to make sure all the people that want to see Obama in the White House, get out and vote, too.

October 16, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  5. Tracy McKeon

I'm trying, Barack, I really am. I'm trying not to be cocky, but every now and then, going through my day, I get a giggly feeling that must be "cocky" since I've been married for 20 years so I know it's not the honeymoon giggle! In 2004, I was the only car in my small town to have a "Kerry" sticker. My "neighbors" immediately put up Bush yard signs and put BIGGER bumper stickers on their cars. The night of the election, one of my "neighbors" set off firecrackers in my driveway. Oh, you have no idea how bad I want to BLAST "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" — I even have speakers ready to go out on my porch!

October 16, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  6. Accountant Guy

He is right, we have to fight until the election and we have to be sure we show up at the polls and get Obama and Biden in the white house!!

Obama/Biden '08

October 16, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. Manny

Obama cocky? NAH!

How about his Presidential Seal unveiled in June of 2008!

Who can forget his Summer 2008 Presidential World Tour through the Middle East and Europe which included a rally before 200,000 adoring fans in Germany!

(Don't forget that it was his desire to hold that rally at the Brandenburg Gate!
    German Chancellor Merkel voiced "great skepticism as to whether it is appropriate to bring an election campaign being fought not in Germany but in the United States to the Brandenburg Gate."
    Steg, a spokesperson for Merkel said that "no German (chancellor) candidate would think of using (Washington's) National Mall or Red Square in Moscow for rallies, because it would be considered inappropriate.")

Obama's acceptance speech to 80,000 fans at the Temple of Obama in Denver;s Mile High Stadium!

His moving van suspiciously parked in front of the White House for the last 18 months!

Nah! Obama's not cocky!

October 16, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. LIP

Out here in the hinterlands of South Dakota, the Democrats like to get the vote out and make all kinds of promises to the Indians, Blacks and Hispanics and then once the election is over, its "good Bye Sucker". They use them and lose them and then the "born every 12 seconds suckers" are standing in line next election ready for more.

October 16, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. cecil

I Agree, It's Not Over Until It's Over!

Obama/Biden

October 16, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. carol

No, we can't get too comfortable....we need to press on to very end and make this election one for the history books in more ways than one.
    All of us need to vote early and make sure our vote is counted.....we don't want another repeat of 2004 with Bush!!!!!
    Sen Obama has had a wonderful, clean, organized campaign and he deserves to win in Nov....we are all trying our best in any small way to make sure of that.....this country cannot afford otherwise.
    I am a very excited and proud 56 year old white lady from the Panhandle in Florida to have helped in some small way to help Sen Obama win this Nov.
    It's hard work down here believe you me, but there are a lot more Dems than we thought and that is great.....we'll keep trying and get the right man in the White House.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 16, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. Peggy

Melissa: You are so correct. Just can't trust those Republicans.
    Did anyone else notice last night when asked who thought their VP would make a good president Obama proudly said that Biden would make a great President but McCain said Pailin makes a good partner! Maybe this is just another Republican ploy but they have no intention of her being a serious contender for anything.Maybe that was a definite ploy to get the women votes that seriously backfired!

October 16, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. Tony

TOUNGES ARE BEGINNING TO WAG. TURNS OUT GOOD 'OLE "JOETHE PLUMBER" WAS NOTHING MORE THAN A REPUBLICAN PLANT!

LAME JOHN, VERY, VERY LAME! SAY IT AIN'T SO JOE!
    —————————————————————–

McCain did Joe the Plumber no favors.
    Thu Oct 16, 2:27 PM ET

You knew it would happen. Joe the Plumber's 15 minutes of fame in last night's debate have turned into a round of public humiliation for the wannabe business owner. The Toledo Blade is reporting that Joe has no plumber's license.

To make matters worse, the Blade also found that the Ohio Department of Taxation placed a lien against Joe because $1,183 in personal property taxes had not been paid. To pile on, the paper disclosed, based on divorce records, Joe's 2006 income — $40,000, hardly enough to qualify for the tax hike he's so concerned about.

October 16, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. Jerry Atrick

No Susan, he is just warning us not to be too complacent. No matter what the polls say, this is going to be quite a race despite the fact that Sen. Obama by far the better candidate. The problem he faces are not worth spelling out here but I am sure you can read between the lines.

October 16, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. ND Mom for Obama

Vote Early! Keep working hard for Obama! Believe it or not North Dakota has really tightened up from an eleven point lead for McCain.

October 16, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. GZ in NY

I have a green card so cannot vote, resident for 21 years.If there is anybody out there that isn't going to vote please vote for Obama for me!!!!

October 16, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. Democrat for Mcain ! psych..

Just kidding !!! What am I crazy ? Nope, don't think so. Do your homework and you will see the the country will be better off under Obama both nationally and internationally !!

That One 08 !!

October 16, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. Joy Remson-Johnson

GO OUT AND VOTE AMERICA AND VOTE EARLY!!

October 16, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. The Bluest Sky in Seattle

Cindy what is with this tongue situation ,batting his eyes like a lizard,
    , a glaring look with either a very scarey mean look or pulling his chest up / in ,hyperventilating / or grinning putting his hands on the table and up in front of him like he thinks he is so smart but looks silly .
    I see him waving above his heigth /head and I see him as he did last night flopping his hands up and down .I never knew you needed your hands abouve head to type so what is this BS about using a computer probley never learned to type in school .
    He made some remark about something that could be on line as if he was so wise and its already on there.

That comment about woman was absolutely downgrading for woman .........Mccain hates woman and seems to think they are only good for one thing for getting them pregnant then having a child regardless of how the sperm arrived there .

October 16, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. John in VA

Obama is exactly right. He may be as high as 14 pts ahead, but we need to act like we're 40 points behind. We only have two and a half weeks to go and this will be all over.

GZ in NY – I got your back, brother.

October 16, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |