October 17th, 2008

Enough with ‘Joe the Plumber,’ Palin says

Palin has been advised to avoid campaign news.
Palin has been advised to avoid campaign news.

(CNN) – Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin told supporters at a North Carolina fundraiser that her aides discouraged her from watching campaign news because they thought she would get “depressed.”

“At those times on the campaign trail when sometimes it’s easy to get a little bit discouraged, when you know, when you happen to turn on the news when your campaign staffers will let you turn on the news,” she said Thursday night, to laughter from the crowd. “Usually they’re like ‘Oh my gosh, don’t watch, you’re going to, you know, you’re going to get depressed.’

“But yeah, sometimes you do get depressed watching what it is that they’re reporting and the spin and some of the distortion of what our message is and what we stand for, sometimes that, that gets draining,” she added. “But it’s at events like these and our rallies that we are so energized and inspired and we know that we are not alone. We feel your strength and we feel the power of prayer, so many of you tell us that you are praying for us and praying for our country, and that’s why we so appreciate you being here.”

The view isn’t all glum from the trail. “We even saw today, thank the Lord, we saw some movement,” looking upwards and making a fist. Another bright note for her, she said later, was visiting “pro-America” areas of the country.

"We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe, we believe that the best of America is in the small towns that we get to visit, and in the wonderful little pockets of what I call the 'real America,' being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, very pro-America areas of this great nation," she said.

"This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories, and teaching our kids, and growing our food, and fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom."

After 24 hours dominated by the campaign’s latest unwitting celebrity, the Alaska governor conceded she was getting a little tired of talking about Joe “The Plumber” Wurzelbach. “And I, I begged our speech writers, ‘Don’t make me say Joe the Plumber, please, in any speeches.’ And I was asked ‘Just one time, just at this fund raiser.’”

The McCain camp has encountered some playlist difficulties this year: Heart, John Mellencamp, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Jackson Browne, and the Foo Fighters have all asked that the campaign stop using their songs on the trail. On Thursday, Palin expressed satisfaction with the latest musical selection.

“I don’t think we’ve ever had intro music by AC/DC before. That was kinda cool,” she said. “In fact, we were on the bus today, we were making a list of who are some celebrity singers who could come out and help us and gosh, for the life of us, the pickings were slim there. Who’s quasi-conservative out there in the celebrity land?”

Country singers Lee Greenwood and Hank Williams Jr. – who has written a song in tribute to the McCain-Palin ticket – have both appeared at events for the campaign. Palin thanked them both Thursday.

According to Palin, the 500-person event brought in roughly $800,000.

Filed under: Joe the plumber • Sarah Palin
  1. Molly

"Another bright note for her, she said later, was visiting “pro-America” areas of the country."

Yeah... so I guess that anyone who doesn't go to a Palin rally must live in Anti-America. A woman so insular and divisive should be nowhere near a position of leadership for the UNITED States of America.

October 17, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  2. Tony

Give me a break!

Now taht "Joe the Dumber Plumber" has been exposed for having NO plumbing license, has a lien against his property for back taxes, and his income for 2007 was only $47, 000, Palin wants Joe to take a hike.

One more example of how ignorant, incompetent and ridiculous McCain and his campaign are. As if no one were going to dig in to good 'ole Joe's background and expose his B.S.!

How many more examples do we need of McCain's desperation before people in this country WAKE UP?

October 17, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  3. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

And this woman could potentially become president some day?

The same people advocating for her said Hillary was not presidential material, too!

That's all you need to know concerning the cerebral machinations of this crowd!!!!

October 17, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  4. susie

Joe the Plumber represents all of us in trying to get to our American Dream. After working hard to achieve our goal, Obama wants us to share our wealth with everyone else. Not fair. If I am willing to work hard, why should I have to share my wealth with a couch potato?

October 17, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  5. mobiusinformer

So much for the concept that artists create their music for everyone to enjoy, huh? NO great loss......

October 17, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  6. N.S of Huntsville, Al

Pailn do know you really messed up McCains bid to the White House? Why didn't they keep her locked up? I think she is trying to make herself famous rather then help McCain.

It makes me just shake my head.

OBAMA?BIDEN GET OUT TO VOTE

October 17, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  7. Always Blue Maryland

"Pro-America" parts of the country???? I love my country and come from a family of servicemen who also love this great country. Just because I am a Democrat doesn't mean I'm not Pro-American. How insulting.

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  8. MD

We are all sick of "Joe not the Plumber". "It's the economy stupi".

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  9. thomas

John McCain's eratic behavior and schizophrenic campaign tactics are indicative of some serious failings. Why won't he release his psychiatric records? What is he hiding from the voters?

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  10. AJ

She and her Dad are going to need more than 'the Lord' to win this election.
    Anyway...is God a Republican? Gimme a break.

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  11. Matt

What...she doesn't know all about celebrities? And here I thought she could see Hollywood on her tv...

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Tony

Incompetent, incoherent, babbling IMBECILE!

18 more days and this fool gets shipped back to moose country.

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  13. McCain's RAGE

Auw, too bad, it isn't about Palin but it's about Joe the Plumber. Palin doesn't like the lime light being stolen from her. Poor thing.

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  14. Phil, Ashburn, VA

Enough with Joe? Enough with Sarah the moose hunter.

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  15. Eileen from Maine

She claims she has enjoyed visiting the PRO AMERICAN parts of the country. Isn't his the similar to the way that Al Queda recruits, by pushing an us against them mentality?
    I am furious that the Republicans continue to do everything they can to divide Americans.

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  16. Frank,MO

So she think that only the radicals who agree with her are "Pro-America" ? Maybe like her pals in the AIP who are fighting AGAINST American Institutions ? God is on her side ? Well, in her mind God created the earth 6000 years ago – that's what you get from avoiding books and knowledge.

October 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  17. CR in WI

"Pro-America" areas-

More divisiveness from the Republicans. I am outraged that she would suggest anyone who disagrees with her is unAmerican.

Just because we disagree, Do not dare impugn my patriotism.

This is not what our country needs. Period.

I'm for Intelligence and cohesion in the White House
    BO08

October 17, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  18. mary, colorado springs

Miss Alaska Prom Queen has still not reached maturity and would not be able to do the work that calls for a mature, knowledgeable person, and believe me, she ain't it! She should mush back to Alaska ASAP.

October 17, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  19. Anne

I will never again listen to Hank Williams Jr nor buy his CD's. I'm sick of Joe The Plumber too. That whole hoax sure back fired, didn't it McCain/Palin???? Go Obama!!

October 17, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  20. UMMMM...

"I would be interested to know where in the U.S. she considers the "anti-american" regions?"

ALASKA!

October 17, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  21. KJ, GA

Ha ha, most entertainers don't want to be affiliated with McCain/ Palin!

I am getting tired of hearing Palin speak, she has nothing to say, why are there still people so enamored with her? It boggles the mind!

Go Barack and Joe! (Biden that is, not Joe psuedo-plumber who is in the back pocket of McCain camp)

October 17, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  22. Sue

Yes she doesn't want to talk about Joe the Plumber because, McCain used him in the debate and now we know he isn't a plumber and he hasn't paid his taxes and after Joe the Plumber not only got his 15 minutes of fame, he also was scrutinized by the news media and we started find out more about him than he probably wanted us to know......Maybe Joe the Plumber told McCain and Palin to shut up.......

October 17, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  23. Ashley

Seriously? Are you going to listen to them when they tell you not to watch the world news because you'll get depressed? An uninformed VP is obviously who I want as only a heartbeat away from the presidency...

What is so wrong with having someone who is smarter and not to mention, more poised, than you in office? They are running the COUNTRY! Sorry, but my vote will go to the "elitist" before it goes to the uneducated.

October 17, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. Christine

I think Sarah Palin is great and I will be voting McCain/Palin.
    I hope CNN will print something from someone that does not support Obama.

October 17, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  25. its Over

So she has to beg for what to/not to say in her speeches?

October 17, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |