October 17th, 2008

Nancy Reagan released from hospital

Sen. McCain greets Mrs. Reagan before a Republican primary debate in this file photo from the beginning of the year.

(CNN) - Former first lady Nancy Reagan has been released from a hospital after fracturing her pelvis during a fall at home last week, a spokeswoman said Friday.

Reagan, 87, returned to her Bel Air, California, home, spokeswoman Joanne Drake said.

Doctors expect a full recovery, prescribing a regimen of daily physical therapy and a reduced public schedule, Drake said in a written release.

The former first lady admitted herself to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center on Tuesday after experiencing what Drake described as "persistent pain."

Tests revealed a fractured pelvis and sacrum - the triangular bone within the pelvis.

She previously was hospitalized for two days in February after a fall.

President Reagan died in June 2004 after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. Since his death, Nancy Reagan has remained involved with the national Alzheimer's Association and its affiliate, the Ronald and Nancy Reagan Research Institute in Chicago, Illinois. However, she has appeared in public only rarely in recent years.

Reagan expressed her thanks in the release Friday to all those who prayed for her and sent cards, flowers, phone calls and e-mails.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Texas Teacher

All the best to Mrs. Reagan. I did not agree with the politics of her husband's administration. But I always admired her sense of dignity and good taste. May God bless her through this very difficult time.

October 17, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  2. A Well Educated Woman

Thank you CNN and I wish Mrs. Reagan a quick recovery and may God bless her healing

October 17, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  3. ready for change

GET WELL SOON "NANCY" MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH. I LOVED YOUR "RONNIE" TO.

October 17, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  4. Trina

Mrs. Reagan, the Country is praying for you.

October 17, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  5. Sheri

Good news, she is a wonderful lady

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 17, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  6. D_Moran

Get well soon Mrs. Reagan.

October 17, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  7. francheska ;-)

I hope she is feeling better and I wish her well.

;-)

October 17, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  8. McPain Pro America

Get Well Nancy !

Youre ok with me..:)

Your Husband was a Smile in your face.. Stabb you in the back double talking pathological lying puppet. Maybe God will have mercy upon his miserable hypocrytical sinful soul.

"I will not raise taxes" Yeah? He took away our write-off's;.. so the Net Result was we all paid higher taxes. [smiling wabble head]

"Trickle-Down/ Reganomics" Never did and never will make sense. And is responsible for our current Economic Collapse coupled with Mc Caninite De-regulationism.

All true Red Republicans end up in hell. They're never Christ like.

October 17, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  9. The Fab One

I've fallen............and I can't get up!! ha ha

October 17, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  10. So?

Who cares?

McCain for America!

October 17, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  11. Well Wishes To Nancy

Godspeed to a full recovery, Mrs. Reagan.

October 17, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  12. (Former) Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

I hope Mrs. Reagan is doing well. I really respect her and President Reagan. I wish her well and a speedy recovery.

October 17, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  13. jeff

Great for 'Ole Mother Reagan, best wishes...but regarding Palin's "Pro-America" places comment...

See the McSame/ Plain campaign even sounds just like a Bush campaign would...in essence, "Either you are with us or you are against us."...and the "If you do not agree with our policy (us) you are not a patriotic American" ...or in Palin's view an American mantra.

Enough of this divisive nonsense from these Bush like RepubliCONS...OBAMA/ BIDEN '08 !!!

WHITE MALE HOCKEY DAD

October 17, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  14. Ron was a REP now a DEM

Best wishes on your recovery First Lady

October 17, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  15. jeff

WHITE MALE HOCKEY DAD

October 17, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  16. Good

Good to hear you're better, Mrs. Reagan.

October 17, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  17. Jim Doyle

"McPain Pro America" you should be ashamed of yourself. I too am a fervent supporter of Obama, and a lifelong Democrat who wasn't all that crazy about Reagan, or any other Republican for that matter, but your diatribe is really disgusting. God bless, Nancy, and get well soon.

October 17, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  18. Jesus Praising, Freedom Loving American Patriot

IF PALIN IS SO QUALIFIED

Then why didn't she run for president?

October 17, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  19. Ben Sanders

This comment is not about the story above; but rather about an episode on Lou Doobs Tonight (Oct-17-2008): While discussing the Gallup tracking Polls, Lou insisted the lead of Obama over McCain has dwindled to a 2% point.
    When Ed Rollins tried to clarify that Gallup is now using three(3) poll models (Registered Voters, Likely Voters {traditional}, Likely Voters{Expanded}) and that only one of these polls, Likely Voters {traditional}, has that 2% advantage; Lou interrupted him with a rather thin excuse and side-stepped the issue entirely.

This is one but a small example of the line Lou has taken lately. He seems to finally abandon his "Independent" mantra, in exchange for the position of McCain/Palin Spin Doctor-in-chief. What Gives?

October 17, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  20. Crazy Cat Lady

Here's another Obama * Biden Democrat wishing Mrs. Reagan a quick and comfortable recuperation.

October 17, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  21. tim in wa.

To you people making rude comments and trying to inject politics into this bit of news- please just don't say anything. You're divisive nasty attitudes are part of the problem with this country.

Best Wishes to Nancy Reagan and family....

October 17, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  22. Drew

All the best to Mrs. Regan and as Jeff did I would like to comment on the "Pro American" comment from Palin. From the time that McCain has picked her as her running mate I have refrained from talking bad about this woman until now. For her to say that people who live in small towns are more "Pro American" then those of us who live in big cities just shows me how out of touch she really is. The McCain campaign keeps calling me telling me I need to be afraid of Obama but the person that scares me the most is Palin and her views of America!

October 17, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  23. Smartstart

I pray that God plesses Mrs. Ragen to heal and be back to herself in no time. I am a former Republican as of this month but I still have respect for her. This campaign has truly changed me. I don't want anyone to think that I am a racist bigot or a nasty person like John Mccain or Sarah Palin and the other Republicans on his campaign.

I've been a Republican for 39 years.

October 17, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  24. Connie

I am praying that Mrs.Reagan will a have complete and speedy recovery .
    May god bless her and her family. OBAMA/BIDEN
    Connie from Indiana

October 17, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  25. mouse

ill say 'get well soon' as it is deserved of a former first lady that however is where i draw the line, I neither liked her nor her husband ... the policies of her husband opened the doors to the mess we're in financially and she herself was the greatest 'drug warrior' of the false campaign that is the 'war on drugs' a 'war' that in fact targets minorities and those who choose one 'drug' (typically pot but also cocaine[which i believe should be controlled] and meth[which i also believe should be controlled]) over another that is legal yet has a longer history of inciting violence and causing death than most anything else, one would think we/she would have learned from prohibition but no instead of taking honest steps to educate she lead the way to criminalize choice

October 17, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |