October 17th, 2008

Nancy Reagan released from hospital

Sen. McCain greets Mrs. Reagan before a Republican primary debate in this file photo from the beginning of the year.

(CNN) - Former first lady Nancy Reagan has been released from a hospital after fracturing her pelvis during a fall at home last week, a spokeswoman said Friday.

Reagan, 87, returned to her Bel Air, California, home, spokeswoman Joanne Drake said.

Doctors expect a full recovery, prescribing a regimen of daily physical therapy and a reduced public schedule, Drake said in a written release.

The former first lady admitted herself to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center on Tuesday after experiencing what Drake described as "persistent pain."

Tests revealed a fractured pelvis and sacrum - the triangular bone within the pelvis.

She previously was hospitalized for two days in February after a fall.

President Reagan died in June 2004 after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. Since his death, Nancy Reagan has remained involved with the national Alzheimer's Association and its affiliate, the Ronald and Nancy Reagan Research Institute in Chicago, Illinois. However, she has appeared in public only rarely in recent years.

Reagan expressed her thanks in the release Friday to all those who prayed for her and sent cards, flowers, phone calls and e-mails.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Mike, CA

Nightingale in BerkelySquare is so full of hate, mistrust, and bitterness. I actually feel sorry for you. You're gonna sit around being butthurt when we have a chance to reinvigoate America with a 2nd Camelot.

GET ON THE BUS!
    BARACK OBAMA 2008
    Vice President Joe Biden
    Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
    Treasury Secretary Warren Buffet
    Secretary of Defense Colin Powell

October 17, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  2. alvino

Get well soon, Mrs. Reagan. By the way, you should see what Bush, McCain and the RNC have done to suppress voter registration in the upcoming election.
    President Reagan would have been very upset at their blatant attack on the constitution.

October 17, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  3. Lost in Texas

Godspeed Mrs. Reagan, Godspeed!

October 17, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  4. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Get well soon, Mrs. Reagan.
    Hope you vote for Obama/Biden too!

October 17, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  5. Independent for Obama!!

Wishing Mrs. Reagan a speedy recovery and best wishes to her and her family.
    Obama/Biden 08

October 17, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  6. A Bell

Get well, Mrs. Reagan & God Bless.

October 17, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  7. Bald ex-warrior

May our former First Lady heal quickly and fully. Regardless of one's personal politics, let us all put that aside for a moment and remember all the elderly in the US need our good wishes.

October 17, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  8. Amy

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Mrs Reagan!

October 17, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  9. Tiff of lithia springs

God bless you Nancy,

From a 37 year old Democrat who has never done any illegal or recreational drugs because of your campaign to just say no to DRUGS.

Speedy recovery to you.

October 17, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  10. jimmy

NANCY REAGAN WIFE OF OUR GREAT PRESIDENTS IS WELL
    LOKED AND RESPECTED FIRST LADY.. AMERICANS , DO NOT FORGET THAT SHE IS AS REPUBLICAN AS ANYBODY COULD GET.
    AMERICA : THINK WHO IS BEST CANDIDATE TO BE COMMANDER IN CHIEF IN TERMS OF TOUGHNESS, COURAGE UNDER FIRE AND COMBAT , EXPERIENCE AND JUDGEMENT.
    AMERICANS : DO YOU WANT OUR GREAT COUNTRY TO BE CONTROLLED BY OBAMA , PELOSI CONGRESS, REID SENATE?
    DO YOU WANT AMERICA TO BE CONTROLLED BY ONE PARTY :PRESIDENT AND BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS?
    IF YOU DO THERE WILL BE NO CHECKS AND BALANCES OF POWER IN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT . AMERICANS KNOW THAT ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS. EITHER VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN CONGRESS AND A DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT , OR A DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS AND A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT.

October 17, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  11. Sacha

I did not agree with the politics policies of her husband, but she is a great lady. I wish her a speedy recovery.
    P.S. The long delay in giving her endorsement to McCain also shows what a loyal friend she is. . . to the first Mrs. McCain!

The country wishes you well.

Obama / Biden 08-16

October 17, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  12. Mary Jane David

Nancy: sorry to hear of your misfortune–I too fell a couple of years ago (at the age of 79) and dislocated my pelvis-have never experienced such pain before. Physical therapy brought me such relief, strong supporter of having it. Good luck to you, hope you have some relief from the pain.

October 17, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  13. Jo

She is one tough old bird – way to go Mrs. R!!!!

October 17, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  14. Burhan, dfw

I wish her a quick recovery.

October 17, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  15. JAM

Get well soon, Nancy.

Obama/Biden '08

October 17, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  16. Nancy Take it easy!

Nancy I never cared for your husband's politics, but always thought you had alot of style... I wish you best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!

October 17, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  17. Ana

I want only the best from that fine lady. Her husband may have been republican but i will never hold that against he is problably the only republican apart from lincoln who really did the right thing. I wish her a speedy recovery and wish her the best. Nancy you ROCK

October 17, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  18. Susan

Get well soon former First Lady. You are very respected.

October 17, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  19. cecil

Great Get Well!

October 17, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  20. Lee in LaGrange, Ga

Mrs Reagan, wish you a speedy recovery. Your late husband wouldn't allow America's adversaries to run over this nation but obama will be licking their boots. After four years of obama hopefully we'll have another Ronald Reagan type who will be able to clean up the mess left by Jimmy Carter Jr.

October 17, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  21. Former Republican in Texas

I didn't agree with her husband's politics, and I thought she was kind of pushing him for her own gain sometimes, but I would never wish anyone ill will who is recovering from a situation such as this. Good luck in your recovery, Mrs. Reagan. May you heal quickly and be well.

October 17, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  22. Knightingale sings in Berkley Square

I'm dumb. I'm stupid. I don't like black people. I like stupid people like myself and Palin. That's why I will vote for McPalin. the dumbest ticket to date.

October 17, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  23. GET REAL!!!!!!!!

get well soon!

October 17, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  24. Knightingale sings in Berkley Square

Sarah is my hero! I want to be just like her. She went to 6 colleges to finish her Bachelors degree but Obama that guy went to Columbia what an idiot! Don't you agree !

October 17, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  25. SD,Michigan

Nancy, get well soon, we pray for you! I sincerely hope you enjoy many years to come!Health is everything, and when you get sick you need all the support you can get: family, friends, and most of all, a good healthcare plan.
    Three days ago I left U of Mich School of Dentistry in tears, literally, after being asked for 1200$ for a root canal, after I was told it was way cheaper there than any other regular dentist. I was revolted and, while wiping my tears, I told the soon-to-become dentist that for that kind of money, I can buy a round trip to Italy, get my tooth done AND have a good time meanwhile. She admitted it was too expensive, but that was it...Today I'm still taking Penicilin and hoping for the best.
    "Pain don't hurt"? Oh yeah it does...
    Nancy, again, please get well!

October 17, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |