October 17th, 2008

Webb on Palin: McCain wondering, ‘What was I thinking?’

Senator Jim Webb thinks that McCain is now regretting his VP selection.
Senator Jim Webb thinks that McCain is now regretting his VP selection.

ROANOKE, Virginia (CNN) – Introducing Barack Obama at a Friday campaign event, Virginia Senator Jim Webb questioned John McCain’s vice presidential pick and said it was a decision the Republican nominee now probably regrets.

“Do you really think that Sarah Palin is the most qualified person in the Republican Party?” asked Webb. “I don’t know how many people here like country music? I like country music. There’s a song about two years ago it was called ‘I know what I was doing but what was I thinking?’ I think John McCain is probably singing that song right now,” he added, referring to the Dierks Bentley tune “What was I thinking?”

“If you’re trying to talk to friends about clear distinctions in terms of judgment, temperament, vision, this is something you can really ask them to take a look at,” he said.

Webb said the choice of a running mate was the one real window into the kind of judgment a future president would exhibit in office. He said he did not really “understand the process” by which McCain picked Governor Palin but said Obama’s choice of Biden was “thoughtful,” and Biden is “capable in a moment of stepping forward” into the presidency.

“I watched the vice presidential debate and I thought Joe Biden did a very good job and at the beginning f the debate Governor Palin turned around and said ‘nice to meet you can I call you Joe’ and I was thinking Joe what you really ought to do is say ‘yeah, you can call me whatever you want - in two months you can call me Mr. Vice President,’” Webb said.

The junior senator said southwestern Virginia voters can “trust [Obama]” - and that the “Karl Rove” type campaign going on against him has gotten tough.

“What they do is they say that person is not like you that person doesn’t understand you,” he said. “There’s a lot of comments that have been made about certain ethnic issues in this campaign, and I would like to say we know Barack Obama’s father was born in Kenya. Barack Obama’s mother was born in Kansas by way of Kentucky. We’re going to see on Election Day the election of the 44th President of the United States, whose ancestry and whose family line goes back to the mountains of this area.”

Filed under: Jim Webb • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Rebecca

Biden is just as much of an idiot as Palin - the difference is that he is a career politician and that should scare you more than a woman from Alaska with a shotgun. Don't fool yourselves.

October 17, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. Jack

Senator Webb you are a true senator who speaks with a golden tongue. You have ask the people to look at the way the Republicans have ran their campaign and ask them to ask themselves what have you seen or heard that would make you vote for McCain.

Palin was the VP pick that was not vetted and now she has a cloud hanging over her head that might not be good comes November 4th. And if she do then she needs to tell the American People that she did use her ethic powe to get a point accross to her ex-brother-inlaw.

October 17, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. 250k voter for Obama

I have to admit, initially I was considering McCain because I will be hit by Obama's tax plan. And since I make just over the 250k cutoff, that hardly seems fair. Yet, McCain's choice of Palin was my first big jolt. The economy was the second. As a professional woman, I will not vote for a ticket that includes Palin. As a hard worker who made her way from nothing (sort of like Obama), I reached a point where I realized if the money doesn't come out of the tax bucket then I lose it in other ways – gas prices, grocery bills, housing. Plus, the reality of McCain's plan is he helps those making much, much more than me. I don't own 7 houses. I own a condo. I work 70 hours a week because I'm afraid of losing my job in this economy and can't afford not to work My retirement savings has plummeted, and I'll now be working a long, long time.

America cannot afford any more of the last 8 years. The new president will nominate 1-3 Supreme Court positions. It was the Court that allowed Bush in the first time. The Court is important. Yet another reason to vote BLUE.

Who knows if the polls are right? Get out there and VOTE BLUE!

October 17, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  4. Monica from Albuquerque

I'm surprised that there's not more mention of Palin's ethical problems as Governor of Alaska-I think it is very troubling that not only was she clearly found to have violated the Ethical law in her state, but that she has the gall to lie and say, there was "no hint" of any ethical wrong doing on her part!! This issue seems to have been just pushed under the rug by the media.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

October 17, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  5. Doug D

Doesn't Webb know that Palin is life-insurance for McCain ...
    Don't do anything to him or you'll end up with her.

Unfortunately, Since Obama has no real experience and no real clue,
    Having a veteran running mate like Biden kinda works the other way.

October 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  6. Diane

Every single moment that you see John McCain speaking his wife Cindy is at his elbow. Does she have a leash on him or is she actually glued to him ?? Will she get a desk in the Oval Office too, if by some remote chance he does happens to get elected ??

October 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  7. pipes

McDummy doesn't think he just has flasbacks of being locked up. I wake every morning knowing that Palin will be out of our lives soon.
    O happy day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  8. Cam

Oh oh.......now McCain will cry foul and demand an apology from Obama.......Palin is really McCain's Achilles heel. I guarantee if someone presented that argument to him, he would blow his stacak, call Obama the "n" word on live T.V., and throw a temper tantrum about how no one should question his right to be President because he was a POW......I really want to see that happen.....

October 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  9. Abe

Senator Webb is right on the money. Johnny McBush is now saying OOPSI! OOPSI! OOPSI! You betcha!!!!!!

October 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  10. The American Dream is Alive and Well

I like Jim Webb more every time I hear him speak.

Obama/Biden

October 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  11. ssk

YEAAA!!! OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

October 17, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  12. Nathaniel

I fully agree. Plain overall was a very poor choice. I don't think she's dumb it's just this is out of her league. some like having the smartest kid in grade school run for college. that won't go well

October 17, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. Michael

McGepetto built his Palinocchio so he would have a puppet to tell his lies.

October 17, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. MA Voter

Ohio is now allowing the ACORN voter fraud to continue.

So this is how democracy ends? With thundering applause?

We have just lost the #1 principle in a democratic society – the concept of 1 person = 1 vote.

I guess when I thought Obama was going to usher in socialism, I was optomistic. Now we're going to get totalitarianism as well.

This is a sad, sad day for the late, great, U.S. of A.

October 17, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. Toni

He was probably thinking that a pretty far-right lady as his VP would stir up his base and lure all the disillusioned Hillary supporters. And it did, for awhile.

But then, everyone (except the very small base) woke up to what a crazy, idiotic, corrupt opportunist she was.

October 17, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  16. WhiteWomenforObama'08

He was thinking all women are as ignorant as Sarah Palin. He was thinking we vote for gender and not genius. He wasn't thinking.

October 17, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  17. BM

Sarah Palin was a poor choice for McCain. He could have done 100x's better. This woman will cause someone harm with her hat rethoric.
    When everyone was critizing her daughter, Obama put an end to it. You would think she would have remembered that and refused to attack someone's chacter and question their patriotism.

October 17, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

One couldn't possibly set the bar lower than McCain did by choosing Sarah Palin. She has the brains and attention span of a fly.

October 17, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. independent in Texas

Please, check your voter registration cards, mine had 1 letter in name wrong, but, would have prevented me from voting, as has to match drivers license and ss card..so, while is still time to get your card changed, please, please check it..
    Then vote early ! would bet this historical year will be accuasations of voter fraud more than has ever been..
    Thanks..
    INDEPENDENTS IN TEXAS FOR OBAMA
    D.BRADSHAW

October 17, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Richard CANADA

Jim Webb is right .The old man McCain screw up on his choice of VP.he won't get elected go back home Mcoldman

October 17, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  21. Common Sense

Exactly. John McCain went for gimmick over governance.

October 17, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  22. Independent Dave, Iowa

Joe Biden showed an extreme amount of restraint in that debate. He won hands down by letting her put on her folksey act and not exposing her for the political fraud that she is. That was a sacrifice few would have taken for the good of their campaign.

Biden is capable, Palin is culpable!

October 17, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  23. Pete in WA

Many Republicans are wondering what he was thinking. Is it too late for Palin to step aside and let somebody else join the ticket? It is probably the only way McCain can win - he needs a game changer. The 'Hail Mary' move sometimes works!

October 17, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. karen-phoenix

McCain entire life has been a series of very, very bad judgements!!!
    He destroyed his first wife, had numerous affairs, his second wife became a drug addict and stole from a foundation she volunteered at because of McCain's envolvement in the Keating 5. McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time and wants us to be at war forever!!! Now he wants to eleminate Medicare and his whole health care program is ONE BIG mistake!!! AND Palin will probably be impeached in Alaska on abuse of power charges and she got her house built for free on the backs of tax payers in Wasilla when she built that arena!!! HOW could one man in one life make so many mistakes????? NOT a man that should have his hand on the red button in the white house!!!! His temper is even worse than his judgement!!!!!

October 17, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  25. gbrown2

My sentiments exactly Senator Webb. He has been trying to sell Palin to the people since he made this mistake. SHE IS NOT QUALIFIED TO BE VP MUCH LESS THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA!!! What was he thinking about!! I know what it is!! He was having a SENIOR moment!!! A little DEMENTIA!!!! McCain is a loose cannon for a number of reasons!!!!

October 17, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |