October 17th, 2008

Webb on Palin: McCain wondering, ‘What was I thinking?’

Senator Jim Webb thinks that McCain is now regretting his VP selection.
Senator Jim Webb thinks that McCain is now regretting his VP selection.

ROANOKE, Virginia (CNN) – Introducing Barack Obama at a Friday campaign event, Virginia Senator Jim Webb questioned John McCain’s vice presidential pick and said it was a decision the Republican nominee now probably regrets.

“Do you really think that Sarah Palin is the most qualified person in the Republican Party?” asked Webb. “I don’t know how many people here like country music? I like country music. There’s a song about two years ago it was called ‘I know what I was doing but what was I thinking?’ I think John McCain is probably singing that song right now,” he added, referring to the Dierks Bentley tune “What was I thinking?”

“If you’re trying to talk to friends about clear distinctions in terms of judgment, temperament, vision, this is something you can really ask them to take a look at,” he said.

Webb said the choice of a running mate was the one real window into the kind of judgment a future president would exhibit in office. He said he did not really “understand the process” by which McCain picked Governor Palin but said Obama’s choice of Biden was “thoughtful,” and Biden is “capable in a moment of stepping forward” into the presidency.

“I watched the vice presidential debate and I thought Joe Biden did a very good job and at the beginning f the debate Governor Palin turned around and said ‘nice to meet you can I call you Joe’ and I was thinking Joe what you really ought to do is say ‘yeah, you can call me whatever you want - in two months you can call me Mr. Vice President,’” Webb said.

The junior senator said southwestern Virginia voters can “trust [Obama]” - and that the “Karl Rove” type campaign going on against him has gotten tough.

“What they do is they say that person is not like you that person doesn’t understand you,” he said. “There’s a lot of comments that have been made about certain ethnic issues in this campaign, and I would like to say we know Barack Obama’s father was born in Kenya. Barack Obama’s mother was born in Kansas by way of Kentucky. We’re going to see on Election Day the election of the 44th President of the United States, whose ancestry and whose family line goes back to the mountains of this area.”

Filed under: Jim Webb • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Jim, VA

JIMMY, GOD BLESS YOU!

October 17, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  2. dEMOBRAT

There has been a lot said about rural voters and dwellers like Sarah Palin too Mr. Webb that isn't fair.

I believe Joe Biden uttered the most inaccuracies- 14 was it?

Oh, and while you at Mr. Webb teach the "V.P" how many letters are in the word JOBS.

October 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  3. Beth, MA

It would seem that the media needs to bring up the choice of Palin consistently in the days leading up to the election. McCain has been described as having a quick temper and re-acting instead of acting. The question is simply, "What were you thinking when you decided that this was the best the Republican party had to offer"? Why did you write off all the capable and experienced women?

It isn't the economy that turned the tide against McCain; it is the idea that he did not put America first when he shoved her into the spotlight.

October 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

Not only is McCain questioning Palin pick but a lot of the republican party is as well but they are to "hard headed" to realize what jeopardy they would be putting this country in.

Elect the man with one house, one wife and one car.

We can't afford 4 more years of failed policy.

October 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. Mike, Texas

Shawn, what rush are your talking about. Rush to run away from the current administration who have totally got our country into the toilet?

or Rush for Change? :)

I will stay away from the toilet if I were you.

October 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. Sara

On November 4th, the McCain campaign will have Obama right where they want him.

That's funny, I didn't know they wanted Obama in the White House!

October 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. J. Sully, New York

Shawn, Keep dreaming. Get used to the idea of President Obama.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08!

October 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. Joe The Teacher

I find the cockiness funny. Unfortunately, being cocky when you are behind in the polls doesn't make much sense. Senator McCain has gone along this whole campaign like he is owed something. As far as Palin is concerned, please give me a break.

Tina Fey has answered more media questions about being Sarah Palin, than Sarah Palin has. Think about that. Unfortunately, it is true.

October 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  9. Shane

Shawn – Ga: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, right...we the people are going to march right into the White House this year!

Obama/Biden in 2008! YES WE CAN!

October 17, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. NoMcSame

WOW. Well said.

October 17, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  11. rene

I'LL DITTO THAT. NO MCSANE, NO MCFAILIN, NO WAY , NO HOW

October 17, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  12. George of Texas

Looks like "Country First" straight talk express has lost its wheels. Selecting an unqualified VP candidate, a heartbeat away from presidency, is in fact putting the Country At Risk.

October 17, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. Former Republican in Texas

Amen.
    Just the fact alone that McCain picked Palin tells me he would be a terrible President. You need to put some long term thought into your actions... McCain obviously didn't. It's one thing to have a loose canon like Palin on the campaign trail– having her in the VP office could be a disaster. If this is an example of the kind of brain dead decisions McCain makes, then he has NO business in the White House. Can you imagine McCain having to deal with a huge national emergency on the spur of the moment?? I'd be scared to death of the kind of decision he would make under those circumstances.

October 17, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  14. Manny T

President Palin??? We will be in so much trouble we will be worse off than a thrid world country. We will be the weakest country in the world thank to all u McCain supporters thank you for the end of USA. U still have a chance to save ur self and our kids. come November we all need to stand up together and in one united states voice all 50 states welcome the next president of the United States Barack Obama. I hope to be there in January when President Elect Obama takes the oath of office it will be the best day in USA history.

October 17, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  15. Annie, Atlanta

She's one of the biggest political blunders I've ever seen. Her hate rallies are unleasing something we may not be able to pull back in. And I'd like to know from her since I live in GA if it's the american or unamerican part of America? She's a disgrace. And she doesn't even know it because her handlers are keeping the news from her.

October 17, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  16. karen-phoenix

Shawn: Read the papers!!! Over one third of the population has already voted for Obama!!! I'm a registered republican for over 40 years and I voted for Obama!!!

October 17, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. marricatt

Remember just one thing. OBAMA IS STILL AHEAD IN THE NATIONAL POLLS AND HE WILL BE THE NEXT US PRESIDENT!!!!

October 17, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  18. RIN

booooyaaaaa!!! now that is coming from a well respected and honorable man!!! thats what i am talking bout WEBB!!!!

October 17, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  19. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

PALIN IS A BOOB... I GUESS THAT MAKES McCAIN A BOOB TOO.... STUPID STUPID CHOICE....

OBAMA '08

October 17, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  20. Michael

Wow, who's the arrogant one? Confidence has not been shown by John McCain and many of his supporters including his campaign folk.
    He's edgy, scary and seems quite befuddled at times. You are waiting for what Shawn?

October 17, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  21. Un-Decided Voter, Now Decided

Shawn.... You and the likes of you aren't enough any more.
    That's a reality you have to deal with from here on out.

October 17, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  22. S. Boatman

Mccain Regrets Choosing Palin! I Regret To Inform You Mccain That I Will Be Voting For Obama!

October 17, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  23. Chad

No joke what was he thinking, Kay Bailey Hutcheson would have been a better pick. I still would not have voted for him, but still yet. At least she knows what papers and magazines she reads.

October 17, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  24. Paul Thompson

Biden's the one showing signs of mental difficulty...and the press is silent?

Isn't this just liberal sexism...to say a 'woman', who's a Governor and has more executive experience than all three other combined....isn't capable?

October 17, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  25. Brian

Well said, Sen. Webb! Poor judgment = poor leader.

McCain's desperate plumber jokes aren't going to trick the American people into putting him and his party's failed policies, failed vision for the future and failed governance back into the White House!

Obama / Biden '08!!!