October 17th, 2008

Webb on Palin: McCain wondering, ‘What was I thinking?’

Senator Jim Webb thinks that McCain is now regretting his VP selection.
Senator Jim Webb thinks that McCain is now regretting his VP selection.

ROANOKE, Virginia (CNN) – Introducing Barack Obama at a Friday campaign event, Virginia Senator Jim Webb questioned John McCain’s vice presidential pick and said it was a decision the Republican nominee now probably regrets.

“Do you really think that Sarah Palin is the most qualified person in the Republican Party?” asked Webb. “I don’t know how many people here like country music? I like country music. There’s a song about two years ago it was called ‘I know what I was doing but what was I thinking?’ I think John McCain is probably singing that song right now,” he added, referring to the Dierks Bentley tune “What was I thinking?”

“If you’re trying to talk to friends about clear distinctions in terms of judgment, temperament, vision, this is something you can really ask them to take a look at,” he said.

Webb said the choice of a running mate was the one real window into the kind of judgment a future president would exhibit in office. He said he did not really “understand the process” by which McCain picked Governor Palin but said Obama’s choice of Biden was “thoughtful,” and Biden is “capable in a moment of stepping forward” into the presidency.

“I watched the vice presidential debate and I thought Joe Biden did a very good job and at the beginning f the debate Governor Palin turned around and said ‘nice to meet you can I call you Joe’ and I was thinking Joe what you really ought to do is say ‘yeah, you can call me whatever you want - in two months you can call me Mr. Vice President,’” Webb said.

The junior senator said southwestern Virginia voters can “trust [Obama]” - and that the “Karl Rove” type campaign going on against him has gotten tough.

“What they do is they say that person is not like you that person doesn’t understand you,” he said. “There’s a lot of comments that have been made about certain ethnic issues in this campaign, and I would like to say we know Barack Obama’s father was born in Kenya. Barack Obama’s mother was born in Kansas by way of Kentucky. We’re going to see on Election Day the election of the 44th President of the United States, whose ancestry and whose family line goes back to the mountains of this area.”

Filed under: Jim Webb • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Phil the Engineer

As a Republican I voted for John McCain in the primary.

But now, everytime I consider doing the same in the general election two images enter my mind.

1. A flatlined heart monitor,
    2. Sarah Palin taking the Presidential Oath of Office.

I have to put my country first and vote for the smart guy.

October 17, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Candid

Dear Mr. Webb, I agree with you 100%. That was a mistake Mr. McCain will regret the rest of his life.

October 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. Bill

Bill O'Reilly? mainstream? You've got to be joking.

October 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  4. T.O, New York, NY

@ Shawn -Ga: "we have you just where we want you"
    Keep dreaming.

October 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. ffd

Thanks to Ric! I second that comment. The hypocrisy is not helping either. She keeps stating: "Who is Barack Obama," and "make Barack Obama answer questions about...." Well, why dont you Gov. Palin? For all that tough talk you appear quite afraid of the country! You cant shoot for the election from the safety of a helicopter as you do with wolves!

October 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Olivia

Roberta: Thanks for your insightful comment. It really helps me make up my mind as to who to vote for. How can I not want to support a candidate whose supporters are full of venom and hate?

October 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  7. Former Republican

Did you all watch Letterman last night....McCain was lying through his teeth. He is stuck with his decision now re. Palin, he knows it would be the end of not only his bid for the presidency, but also for his credibility as a Senator, if he admits that that was a bad decision! Fact is Palin may be a good person, mother and wife....even Governor, but she is a very ignorant, unaware person, who doesn't under the world around her outside of Alaska. She is good a reading teleprompters and cue cards, but in every one and one she has done with independent journalists shows just how unaware she is. We can't have the most uninformed and ignorant person giving advise to a stubborn, angry president, or running the greatest country on earth....we need the best. McCain/Palin is a very mediocre poor choice.

October 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. Karl

Haven’t heard an intelligent word yet out of her, except maybe for a very astute geography lesson on where to find Alaska. Apparently you have to go through Russia, and then when you get to the end, you swim a little bit, and there you are! Wow. A breath away from being president.

October 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. chelle

If she is as qualified as John McCain likes to tout, why does she not do interviews? As isn't it funny that she is qualified because she "inspires", but somehow the inspiration and hope that Obama inspires is totally discounted??

October 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. Kay

Uh, oh. Shawn just verified what we all suspected - there WILL be rampant voter fraud - perpetrated by the Repubs.

October 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. Geraldine Coleman

If McCain wins this election. I am afraid Todd and Sarah has something up thier sleeves. McCain probably wouldn't last too long. (God forbid) and then there goes palin meeting with world leaders with answers like "MavericK, Hockey Mom, Wink-Wink); I don;t think that's qualification enough to meet with Putin and other foreign leaders when it comes to serious foreign policy affairs.

October 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Blue

Yeah, I said that to after I got married to the Queen of mean...What the hell was he thinking? In my case i was scared of her now Palin scares me even more.

October 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Olivia

Obama picked Biden, didn't he? So, McCain picked Palin and we love her......she is the better choice. If Obama and his supporters didn't fear her they would have left her alone. I'm sure Obama still have nightmares about his shock when McCain first announced Palin as his vp. I still get a chuckle when I think of it. Payback for hillary.

Yes...we will be coming!

October 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. Kingslough

I love the logic behind Obama's running mate. He knew his weak points (foreign policy) and chose one that would cover that up by input. Whats McCains excuse or better yet what was his thought in picking Palin? I've tried to ration but can't find one. Probably the lewisky of the future who knows McCain is good at that, anyone remember his history?? 'Country first' my foot!

October 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  15. Laura

How sad that Sarah Palin can't see herself doing Situation Room , Larry King, or Meet the Press but feels right at home on SNL ..... yeah honey your life is a joke!

October 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  16. Olivia

Webb is dumb.

October 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  17. Jean

I agree with Webb. God Bless Obama and Biden.

October 17, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. J J

Then the question to ask is BO the most qualified person in the Democratic party?

October 17, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  19. Hillary Democrat

And Obama has experience??? Give me a Break. NO WAY NO HOW NOBAMA he is fixing this election with ACORN and Chicago Politics. WAKE UP AMERICA.. VOTE McCain in 2008 and HILLARY in 2012.

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  20. BM

I agree wtih Lee. Sarah Palin is frightening! I do not want her finger on the trigger for a nuclear weapon! This is absolutely the worst choice McCain could have made.

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  21. republican voting for obama

you know why mcbush is going to lose.

it is sarah.

the stupidest mistake he will ever have made.

go obama

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  22. Great

Obama has a vision for the future McCain has a vision for the past. Obama represents a change in the direction of our country. Working families cannot survive another administration of failed economic policies, rising debt and the shifting of wealth from workers to corporations.

OBAMA 08

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Marti, Plano

Susie, you are just a goofball. MA Voter, ACORN is required by federal law to turn in all voter registrations they receive, regardless of whether they turn out to be legitimate. The issue at hand is alleged voter REGISTRATION fraud, NOT voter fraud. Please be factual.

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  24. Navy Veteran

Perhaps John McCain should have vetted Palin more thoroughly. I think he thought most women in this country would automatically run over and vote for her because she is a woman since Hillary Clinton lost the bid for the Dem. nomination. Well, fooey on you, old man. Its all about being qualified, again I say, QUALIFIED. I personally think youu have made this whole campaign a joke as far as "some" Rebuplicans are concerned. If you din't take this serious, that is, picking a qualified V.P., how will you take anything else serious that a President is supposed to do? Maybe next time, if you are still around!

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  25. Mike, CA

Man, I really like Joe Biden. I really do. I think that state has a heck of a Senator and one that many states are envious of. Sarah Palin...please don't ever come to California. From the Pacific Ocean to the Sierra Nevada mountains, in the rolling hills and the agricultural vallies, in the big cities and the small towns, we respect each other and allow others to live their lives. Our diversity makes us a greater place to live not worse. Your small mindedness wouldn't get you to McDonald's shift leader in California.

How are you a governor? Really? Seriously?

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |