October 17th, 2008

Webb on Palin: McCain wondering, ‘What was I thinking?’

Senator Jim Webb thinks that McCain is now regretting his VP selection.
Senator Jim Webb thinks that McCain is now regretting his VP selection.

ROANOKE, Virginia (CNN) – Introducing Barack Obama at a Friday campaign event, Virginia Senator Jim Webb questioned John McCain’s vice presidential pick and said it was a decision the Republican nominee now probably regrets.

“Do you really think that Sarah Palin is the most qualified person in the Republican Party?” asked Webb. “I don’t know how many people here like country music? I like country music. There’s a song about two years ago it was called ‘I know what I was doing but what was I thinking?’ I think John McCain is probably singing that song right now,” he added, referring to the Dierks Bentley tune “What was I thinking?”

“If you’re trying to talk to friends about clear distinctions in terms of judgment, temperament, vision, this is something you can really ask them to take a look at,” he said.

Webb said the choice of a running mate was the one real window into the kind of judgment a future president would exhibit in office. He said he did not really “understand the process” by which McCain picked Governor Palin but said Obama’s choice of Biden was “thoughtful,” and Biden is “capable in a moment of stepping forward” into the presidency.

“I watched the vice presidential debate and I thought Joe Biden did a very good job and at the beginning f the debate Governor Palin turned around and said ‘nice to meet you can I call you Joe’ and I was thinking Joe what you really ought to do is say ‘yeah, you can call me whatever you want - in two months you can call me Mr. Vice President,’” Webb said.

The junior senator said southwestern Virginia voters can “trust [Obama]” - and that the “Karl Rove” type campaign going on against him has gotten tough.

“What they do is they say that person is not like you that person doesn’t understand you,” he said. “There’s a lot of comments that have been made about certain ethnic issues in this campaign, and I would like to say we know Barack Obama’s father was born in Kenya. Barack Obama’s mother was born in Kansas by way of Kentucky. We’re going to see on Election Day the election of the 44th President of the United States, whose ancestry and whose family line goes back to the mountains of this area.”

Filed under: Jim Webb • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

ITS AMAZING IF SARAH IS NOT QUALIFIED TO BE PRESIDENT HOW IS OBAMA.

PLEASE WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  2. Joanna

Joe Biden is only more qualified than Sarah Palin because he is less intelligent. Imagine, JOBS is a 3 letter word. Yup that is what he said!! As for Sarah Palin, she introduced many of us, for the first time, to the Republican party and Fox News. And, except for Lou Dobbs, most of us no longer watch CNN!!!

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. Franky

You know what I would do, especially in Roanoke? I would just remind people about Senator McCain...literally! You know, the Senator McCain of the past vs the Senator McCain of the future. I'm sure is a fairy tale in heaven, LOL!! I got a genius idea when it comes to Conservatives...plus, we deserve what we get! LOL!!

Hey look, is Joey Joe, Joe!! -Barney from the Simpsons!

October 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. G

AMEN!!!

October 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. Ann - OH

Shawn GA-DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH SHAWN...LORL!!!!!
    YOU GUYS ARE JUST SAYING STUPID STUFF RIGHT NOW.....I.E. WE GOT YOU JUST WHERE WE WANT YOU?????GIVE-ME-A-BREAK.
    THERE'S NO DOUBT YOU'LL WOULD LOOVE TO SEE THE POLLS IN YOU'LLS FAVOR. BUT.....NOT THIS TIME!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

GET USED TO SAYING "PRESIDENT BARACH OBAMA"
    OBAMA

October 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. Voice

I WILL SAY IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

THE WAY YOU RUN YOUR CAMPAIGN IS THE WAY YOU WILL RUN YOUR PRESIDENCY!!!

PALIN IS A SNAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Phil, Ashburn, VA

Amen... Palin is the most unqualified person ever to run for high office. She does not even understand the basic things of the US government. She is in way over her head.

October 17, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  8. Helen

YOU SAID IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA / BIDEN 08

October 17, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. Kay

Palin didn't reform anything in Alaska during her term as governor. She merely perpetuated some of the fraud by sleight-of-hand management of federal funds.

That AIP group her husband belongs to is perfectly willing for Alaska to receive federal funding for infrastructure improvement and "drill, baby, drill", but they want their cake and want to keep it to themselves to eat (in their quest to secede from the Union).

The Palins support Alaska becoming a third world country, qualifying no doubt for billions, not millions, in foreign aid from the USA. What do you want to bet that's on Sarah Palin's hidden agenda, if she (by some horrific happenstance) becomes VP?

October 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  10. sue

I love how people say "silent majority".

If they are silent – then how do you know how the majority is thinking? The answer is you don't. So I wouldn't be speaking for the "silent majority" if I were you, because you could actually be the "silent minority".

October 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  11. sabuc for Obama

You the really funny joke that gets repeated but looses its funny after the third time in the same group? That's what Palin has become. A stale sad joke played on America.

October 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. Candid

By picking Sarah Palin for his running mate, Mr. McCain is completely against his "Country First". He lost my trust since that day.

October 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  13. stephanie

If McCain truly means his campaign slogan about putting country first..he should put Palin to the media test. If not, replace her with a more worthy and viable and honorable candidate. Enough of this folksy faery and patriot poltiics...Palin is a disaster,

October 17, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  14. AJ

I'm sure he does regret it. I'm also sure America will regret the election of either Senator McCain or Obama. I dont think we'll ever learn.

October 17, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  15. Ronnie in Gregory, TX

Citizens of this nation have heard enough Republican spinning to last them a lifetime or two. We are smarter than we ever thought possible and now we know what to do with all our new "smarts". Our "to do list"? Send Palin packin'. And the old man that picked her so he could go home to Arizona and rock on the front porch? Nice job, John!! It worked! You knew we were too smart to swallow that nut job and you were right!

October 17, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  16. mom for obama

During the debate this week, even John McCain could not bring himself to say that Sarah Palin was qualified to take over for him should something happen. He praised her work as governor, said she was a role model for women, and said he was proud of her (several times) but he NEVER said he thought she was qualified. That should tell everyone considering voting for that ticket something. Sarah Palin is no role model for me, my daughter, or any of the women I know and she sure isn't qualified to lead our country. My absentee ballot is being turned in Monday with my vote for Obama/Biden clearly marked.

October 17, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  17. Dealt, Lisbon

For those who are urging McCain to let Palin go, remember... McCain chose Palin, and reaffirmed one or two days ago how terrific she is... How can he go back on that? Even if something bad happened to Palin or Palin's family "forcing" her to step down, there would always be a suspicion bordering on certainty that he was throwing her overboad to lighten the ship AFTER two, at least, bad judgements.

October 17, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  18. undecided

I'll toss that question right back at you.

Do you really think that Obama is the most qualified person in the democratic party?

October 17, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. Olivia

Jim Webb is just voicing the theme for the day...as decided by the Obama campaign. You will be hearing exactly the same thing....verbatim.......on all the Obama networks for the rest of the day. i just tune them all out.
    It'll be something new tomorrow. All like sheep.

October 17, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Ronnie in Gregory, TX

All McCain was thinking when he picked Sarah Palin was going back to Arizona and kickin' back with a cold one on his front porch on the fifth of November. He knew how to do it and all he had to do was pray she'd be stupid enough to say "Yes".

October 17, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. John

Claiming Palin's "Executive Experience" qualifies her to be VP is kinda like claiming G.W. Bush's experience as gov. qualified him to be President. Just look where that "Executive Experience" has taken us. With Bush as an example, experience as a governor of an oil rich state is a *major* disqualification. If you want 4 more years of Bush, vote for the Bush Clone (Palin).

October 17, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  22. Kris K in RM CA

Palin does not represent me in any way. She is not capable of running the country and on that fact alone the voters choice is Democrat or Independent.There is NO Republican choice for Americans this year.McCain made a horrible choice in VP candidate and put all of America in danger.He is a bad decision maker-that is clear.Not someone I want running the country or representing me on the world stage.

October 17, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. tulsa

Thank you Senator.

October 17, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  24. Obamafied Cheesehead

Latest rumor:
    McCain has a scar on his forehead. Its not that he’s been praying line a Muslim no, to the contrary, he’s been banging his head against the wall since the RNC convention after he picked his VP.

October 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. Michelle, PA

After the initial novelty wore off, Palin has been the nail in McCain's coffin and yet another clear sign he is not in control of his own campaign apparatus. Show me a candidate's campaign, and I'll know how their White House will run. Give me "No Drama Obama" over "Chaos McCain" any day!

October 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |