October 18th, 2008

Who has campaigned more in the 'real Virginia'?

(CNN) – McCain adviser Nancy Pfotenhauer made a splash Saturday by drawing a line between northern Virginia and “real Virginia,” which she said is the “part of the state that is more Southern in nature,” a comment that may not sit well with the many residents of the commonwealth residing north of Frederickburg.

Using Pfotenhauer’s definition, however, Barack Obama and his running mate Joe Biden have out-campaigned their Republican rivals by a significant margin in “real Virginia.”

Obama has made nine campaign stops in central, southwest and southeast Virginia: in Martinsville, Lynchburg, Chester, Chesapeake, Fredericksburg, Lebanon, Norfolk, Roanoke and Newport News. Biden has made two: Castlewood and Fredericksburg.

By contrast, McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin have only ventured out of northern Virginia twice. On Monday, the pair held a joint rally in Virginia Beach, and Palin then continued on to a campaign stop in Richmond.

McCain’s rally Saturday was in the northern Virginia town of Woodbridge, home to thousands of Virginians who commute up to Washington, D.C. every day on I-95.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

The McCain/Palin campaign just keeps drawing divisive lines in our states and in this country. WHY? McCain has become one of the most dishonorable people I've ever known.

The same people that brought you Bush/Cheney for the past 8 years are now presenting McCain/Palin.

Gonna fall for it again? Not me. Not this time. Not ever again.

Obama/Biden '08

October 18, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  2. Bob Virginia

Most Northern Virginia people can read and write so tthe MCain Palin ticket will have some problems here.

October 18, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  3. Chris from STL

This is another example of the divisive nature of the republican party.

October 18, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  4. FL Rep for Obama

So now McCain staffers are dividing the states, just as their negative and FALSE attacks are dividing the nation. Yes, that's what we need in the White House...a President who divides instead of one who unites. Early voting starts in FL on Monday. I'll be racing to the polls to vote Democratic the first time in my life. This country needs REAL CHANGE = OBAMA! By the way...we Central Floridians could care less if the Tampa Tribute endorses McCain. The endorsed Bush both times two...show how "in touch" the newspaper is with its subscribers...

October 18, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. mmd

In regard to the aforementioned article on new paper endorsements. Why would you have to read the article to learn that the topic is misleading, one paper backed Obama and one paper backed mccain. You never know it from the topic. One paper backed mccain and the other paper praised both men.

You have the nerve to have a fact check for other people.
    SHAME ON YOU CNN

October 18, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  6. Ohio

Someone get McCain some teeth whitener.... ew. Oh, and sarah... boo.

October 18, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. jojodancer1119

I live in Richmond, VA and I'm voting for Obama all the way! There's no way I would give McCain and that simple-minded Palin a chance at all!

Obama-Biden 08

October 18, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. FreeNLovIt

Real Virginia? Does that make the rest of us who ALSO pay taxes, fake Americans?

October 18, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  9. C W

Yep, that's the McCain/Palin ticket: divisive, insulting, nauseatingly dumb. I lived in Alexandria for five years and felt pretty "real" up there.

The whole state is filled with lovely people, top to bottom. McCain and Palin once again demonstrated they're idiots!

October 18, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  10. FreeNLovIt

We all take our turns to row this SHIP called Mother America and just because I'm in the middle row or front row, it doesnt mean I am not a 'REAL' American.

October 18, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  11. Lilarose in Bandon-by-the-Sea, Oregon

If you support Obama, don't get complacent thinking because he is ahead in the polls that he is going to win the election.

YOU HAVE TO VOTE!

AND YOUNG PEOPLE–you are the culprits most of the time–lots of talk and no do!

I have never missed an election since JFK–not a local, state, or national election. I worked on Robert Kennedy's campaign until the moment he was murdered.

Obama is a special man like JFK and RFK. I was there then and I know it now!

Do your duty and you will elect the best candidates! OBAMA/BIDEN

October 18, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  12. Lee from FL

pro-America areas and real Virginia are where mccain and pain supporters live.

October 18, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  13. j

Does gutter politics have a bottom? I used to think McCain was a decent person. Not so anymore.

October 18, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  14. Linda

Notice CNN does not say the Miami Herald endorsed Obama in its catchy headline. It says McCain was endorsed by the Tampa. Come on CNN. you are better than that!!! CNN appears to be in the tank for McCain. Please be objective in your reporting.

October 18, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  15. ready for change

VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN, MCCAIN& PALIN ARE SO NEGATIVE, THEY CAN'T TALK ABOUT THE ISSUES, WITH THE ELECTION SO CLOSE HOW COULD THEY STILL FOCUS ON ALL THIS CHEAP CAMPAIGNING& AND CARING MORE ABOUT SNL THAN THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, THEY ARE THE WORST CANADIATES THAT I HAVE EVER WITNESSED. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS, VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN

October 18, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  16. Former Republican voting for Obama/Biden

Nancy Pfotenhauer is one of McCain's top ten for earmarks that worked in his campaign. McCain has to remove her from his campaign when he got caught. They is one left nd that is Palin. She is still there and still spewing lies and dividing this great nation.

October 18, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  17. Jose

The flack Nancy Pfotenhauer all but waves the Confederate flag in a failing attempt to save Virginia for the Confederacy, er, John "descendant of slave-owners" McCain.

October 18, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  18. Fred Crockett

Nancy should start looking for a job in another field. Since the campaign started, she has been the most viscious, lemon-sucking aide on either side, maliciously babbling on and on with her inane platitudes. I am a conservative Canadian, but this strange woman would casue me to vote for anyone but her champion of the moment.

October 18, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  19. Chris F.

I guess only places that are conservative are more real tahn other parts of the Contry. I do not support McCain but I am a veteran and an American. I love and would die for this nation just like all other patriots. I do not have to support McCAin/Palin to be an American. McCain/Palin are the truth ati-Americans. We have freedoms in the nation that the last 8 years has bee supressed by fear and lies..

October 18, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  20. Christiane from Germany

Miss Pf.... dont know what she say. Better first thinking , then talking

October 18, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  21. Aaron from Ohio

The "real Virginia"? More "southern in nature"? Why does the McCain camp keep piling on with this two Americas stuff? We are one nation. We are one people. It's OK to have two parties. It's OK to support whichever candidate you want. This constant message they put out makes it sound like only their party is patriotic and is going to "do the right thing". Enough already. All of these code phrases isn't code. EVERYBODY understands what you're implying. MOST Americans are smarter than Governor Palin. You're not fooling anyone.

October 18, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  22. tigerakabj

Real Virginia? I guess they really do want a divided America.

I can't wait until this election is over. McCain is the most disgraceful man alive.

Are you listening Arizona? Throw him out. He doesn't deserve to be elected dog catcher.

Obama/Biden 2008/2012.

October 18, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  23. sad.

who are the ones dividing America now...?

October 18, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  24. Rob R

disenfranchising virginians....good way to win there

obama/biden 08

October 18, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  25. Betty, Virginia

I'm TOTALLY sick of the McCain campaign.

First I'm not pro-American and now I'm not a "real" Virginian. WHO THE H#LL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE DEFINING ME?

Well let me tell you what I am. I'm a proud American who's proud of her state of Virginia who will be VOTING BLUE across the ticket this year – and I voted for Bush twice... In fact, I've voted republican since 1980.

October 18, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |