October 18th, 2008

Who has campaigned more in the 'real Virginia'?

(CNN) – McCain adviser Nancy Pfotenhauer made a splash Saturday by drawing a line between northern Virginia and “real Virginia,” which she said is the “part of the state that is more Southern in nature,” a comment that may not sit well with the many residents of the commonwealth residing north of Frederickburg.

Using Pfotenhauer’s definition, however, Barack Obama and his running mate Joe Biden have out-campaigned their Republican rivals by a significant margin in “real Virginia.”

Obama has made nine campaign stops in central, southwest and southeast Virginia: in Martinsville, Lynchburg, Chester, Chesapeake, Fredericksburg, Lebanon, Norfolk, Roanoke and Newport News. Biden has made two: Castlewood and Fredericksburg.

By contrast, McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin have only ventured out of northern Virginia twice. On Monday, the pair held a joint rally in Virginia Beach, and Palin then continued on to a campaign stop in Richmond.

McCain’s rally Saturday was in the northern Virginia town of Woodbridge, home to thousands of Virginians who commute up to Washington, D.C. every day on I-95.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Patti

October 18, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  2. Patti

Now I see the True McCain what is he going to do if GOD forbid he gets elected is he going to divide the country and only give tax cuts to the red states??? This is the SCARIEST election, I wish it was Nov 5th already. I read on another site an elderly women was knock down just because she had an Obama t-shirt on. I think someone need to do something about Palin for starting all this uglyness.

October 18, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  3. Jan - Canada

Desperate people do desperate things . Republicans know they've lost already so they don't care what they spew out . This game their playing is ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC .

Just all a bunch of sore losers...........

October 18, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  4. DB25

That VA comment was probably the nail in the Republican's coffin in VA. I think the chances of McCain winning the state now is less than none.

October 18, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  5. Paco - Tucson, AZ

They can continue trying to DIVIDE as much as they please. But the McCain-Palin ticket will never CONQUER.

October 18, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  6. tim in wa.

The RNC knows that their bid to control this country for four more years is over – so they're using their puppets – the once great man John McCain and that twit from Alaska – to drive as big a wedge into the country as possible before Obama takes office – so Obama will be fighting more crisis than anyone president should ever have to deal with – a divided nation and a world that can't stand us. This way, they can swoop back in in four years and finish the job of the fascist nation they've been working so hard on during the last 8 years...

October 18, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  7. TSC

Too bad that I cannot vote; I follow USA politics and just love O'Bama's platform.

GO O'BAMA/BIDEN......

October 18, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  8. Please think

McCain-Palin and the RNC are repugnant. I can no longer be objective toward comprehending support for this ticket. They exclaim "country first" while making every attempt to divide it in order to retain power over this great nation. Their disgusting divisive attacks prey on the deepest fears and ignorance of the American people. It's painful to see but perhaps necessary in order for America to progress toward a brighter future. Growing pains.

October 18, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  9. NLAVGU

McCain/Palin 08: Never Let A Voter Go Unalienated.

October 18, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  10. Janice

Listen up everyone, if McCain wins this election America as we now know it will disappear. McCain is involved with Project for the New American Century (PNAC); these people are considered neocons or neocans. Research it for yourselves. Google it and read all about it. These same folks want to "label" Obama.

October 18, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  11. independent from VA

you just lost VA to Barack.

is that real enough McCain

October 18, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  12. McCain Campaign= Danger to the US

Marty from PA-...and I'm from "fake" NJ voting for Obama! Hi neighbor!

October 18, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  13. Pat, NJ

My WWII vet dad taught us 8 kids that voting is not only a right, but a duty as an American. I have never missed a vote in my life (I am 56), I even vote in local board of education elections (and that's pretty boring). As a registered Republican, I voted for John McCain in the NJ primaries. As an American, I picked up my Obama/Biden yard sign today. I am proud to cast my vote this year for Obama. I hope that some of my republican neighbors see my sign and realize that, yes, it is OK to vote for the best candidate.

Obama/Biden

October 18, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  14. Pat Pa.

I really hope that the folks in Virginia do not stand for this nonsense.

October 18, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  15. Tom

First, Palin's "pro-American" gaffee, now this – obviously, Republicans believe anywhere that isn't leaning their way isn't really America.

Sorry guys – we get to vote to, and trust me, you're not gonna like it...

October 18, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  16. Dal CA

McCain was born in Panama. IS that or was that part of USA. McCain is not eligible to run for the president of USA.

October 18, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  17. ginger

"the real Virginia" What is wrong with this man? Even if he wins doens't he realize half of the country will NEVER respect him? Now McCain aides are attempting to explain what he meant by this comment.

Does America want or need a President who will sink so low?

Obama/Biden

October 18, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  18. Mag

Guess what – I live in the southwestern part of "real Virginia" and it is still Obama- Biden !!

October 18, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  19. AllthatMatters

My son said Senator McCain looks scary , so Looks like I will vote He smiled when I gave him my pick. Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  20. Terri from Texas

REAL VIRGINIA??? What an insult to the rest of the wonderful people of that great state. First you have Palin referring to certain areas of our country as "PRO-AMERICA", now McCain's aide's comments. IT APPEARS THAT WE ALL SHOULD BE QUESTIONING THEIR PATRIOTISM.

October 19, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  21. Rachel

King and Wolf cannot accept that OBama is win...get a life

October 19, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  22. evis nash

mcain sorry u are dead already and palin you need to educate yourself you are so empty.
    OBAM 08

October 19, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  23. JT

Good thing I already casted my vote for Obama. In Virginia to be exact. Northern Virginia to clarify!!! Here they go again trying to divide us, except this time its by different parts of the state. When will they ever learn????

October 19, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  24. nosha

go up vote 4 obama-biden ticket.mccain is a big liar and he knows that he is a loser,they can't divide virginia nor america

October 19, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  25. Larry-TN

Unfortunately there are many who believe the innuendo foisted on the voters by the McCain/Palin/Rove ticket.

October 19, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |