October 18th, 2008

Who has campaigned more in the 'real Virginia'?

(CNN) – McCain adviser Nancy Pfotenhauer made a splash Saturday by drawing a line between northern Virginia and “real Virginia,” which she said is the “part of the state that is more Southern in nature,” a comment that may not sit well with the many residents of the commonwealth residing north of Frederickburg.

Using Pfotenhauer’s definition, however, Barack Obama and his running mate Joe Biden have out-campaigned their Republican rivals by a significant margin in “real Virginia.”

Obama has made nine campaign stops in central, southwest and southeast Virginia: in Martinsville, Lynchburg, Chester, Chesapeake, Fredericksburg, Lebanon, Norfolk, Roanoke and Newport News. Biden has made two: Castlewood and Fredericksburg.

By contrast, McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin have only ventured out of northern Virginia twice. On Monday, the pair held a joint rally in Virginia Beach, and Palin then continued on to a campaign stop in Richmond.

McCain’s rally Saturday was in the northern Virginia town of Woodbridge, home to thousands of Virginians who commute up to Washington, D.C. every day on I-95.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Sean

McCain campaign tried to appeal to The Average American with a "Fake Plumber' now they alienate the same people by "Dividing" Virginia into North and South! IS MCCain stuck in the Civil War Era?

October 18, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  2. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Obama is confident that Biden can deliver a message on his own and know what he's talking about. McCain has to shadow Palin like Lieberman had to shadow him for the same reasons, too many stupid mistakes.

October 18, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  3. Winnie Hussein.... in Montana

Does anybody in the GOP still think? What are they doing dividing the nation in pro-America areas v. anti-American areas and dividing the state of Virginia into the "real" and the fake? Does this make sense to any rational person?

My gosh, let's hurry up and elect Sens. Obama and Biden so we can get on with the business of reuniting this nation!

October 18, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. Joel from Florida

real Virginia???...pro-american state???

why is the McCain camp hell bent on dividing our country???

I'm not for Obama...but atleast he is trying to keep america united.

and it's the dishonorable shamefull McCain camp tactics that just cost them my vote for McCain

October 18, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  5. vahe

obama thats for sure

October 18, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  6. susie

Obama snubbed Virginia during the primaries. Now, he wants their votes.

October 18, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  7. rok

Terrible. McCain's camp keep dividing this country. McCain adviser Nancy Pfotenhauer refered certain part of Virginia as "Real Virginia" and the other as "Not Real". Today, Sarah Palin called some States in this country as"Pro-Americans" and indirectly saying that certain states in this country are "Anti-Americans"

McCain's camp have not rejected these comments yet.

We all need a leader who knows how to unite the people of this country together.

Vote Early. Vote Obama/Biden '08

October 18, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  8. mitch

more politics of division by the mccain /palin ticket.

October 18, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  9. v.ananthan

Obama will do anything to win...

Including voter frauds and moving people to battle states…

McCain / Palin 08

October 18, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  10. Brian Rich

This real/fake America is a big pile of horse excrement.

Oddly enough, it's all coming out of Palin's mouth.

October 18, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  11. Faye

So according to the McCain campaign, all of the military families, like my family, that live in Fairfax county and veteran families that live in Northern Virginia, dont represent "real" Virginia. This campaign is really offensive. First there are Pro-america parts of the country, Northern Virginia is communist country and now we are not part of "real" Virginia. Great! Just Great! Way to offend......

October 18, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  12. Speider

Are they dividing states and cities into "real America" now? And where am I? Am I a "real American?" Or am I a leftist, socialist and therefore not deserving of the title "real American?"

The McCain campaign must be, and I am using this word in the real sense for lack of an understanding of why they would flaunt such statements, stupid! This smacks of the candidate who divided the nation into "true Aryans" and "traitors to the Fatherland."

October 18, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  13. Peter (CA)

The McCain campaign continues to try and divide the nation more and more. Their advisers bring out the worst in politics, which is saying a lot.

October 18, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  14. paul

Before the last debate I had given up on McCain. I had initially thought he was the right man for this election and should be made president. He has the experience, the nobility/patriotic character that I believe a president should have, and is a man with plenty of experience.

But than he continuously underwhelmed me in debates and in press conferences. It didn't, though, put me in Obama's corner. I truly feel that the press and people have accepted this man from Chicago on face value alone. Experience counts because otherwise I would run for president.

Finally McCain showed me that he is the man for the job. In the last debate he spoke about himself and the people of this country. He showed me he understand what we might all be going through and definitely spoke about helping the little guy and not just the bankers/wall street execs. I am not FULLY back in his court, but if McCain continues to election day the way he has since the debate I will vote for him as I hope will 51% of the american people!

October 18, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  15. dolllorbil

Hey VIRGINIA did you people know that there is a north and south as well as a West Virginia. Wow this is 2008 and I though the war between the north and south was over almost 150 years ago. What an idiotic and racisit thing to say.

October 18, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. Dealt, Lisbon

Great... are Republics drawing a distinction between real Virginia and otherwise Virgina? Republicans play hard and dirty. Is the "real Virginia" hard and dirty? Europe is tired of not liking America, but it's fair to say Bush hasn't helped much and this type of Republicans make it harder to forget him.

Is McCain going to denounce Pfotenhauer? He seems to be perpetually asking others to denounce one thing or another, but I haven't seen him denouncing anything his camps says. Now I know why... those are the real americans. Pity...

October 18, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  17. Dan, Virginia

As a resident of northern Virginia, I am sick and tired of the McCain campaign trashing the part of the state where I live. First, McCain's brother called us "Communist country", and now this. Well, John McCain better get ready when the 'real Virginia' votes for Barack Obama on November 4th.

October 18, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. james in s.c.

what are these republicans are doing??? are they trying to divide the this beloving country? looks that way....calling democrats socialist while mccain -palin running their campaign like facist and communism!!!! worst yet calling democrats anti-american!!! I'M NOT GOING TO FALL FOR THAT S**T!!!! WAKE UP AMERICA DON'T FALL FOR THIS CRAP!!!!!

OBAMA-BIDEN 08

P.S. to cnn, don't be fooled again and don't let them hold a gun to ya heads about reporting about the true colors of palin administration, they're nothing but doomsday cultist!!!!!

PEACE!!!

October 18, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  19. BOOTSTOMPER

If the people in this country of ours elects John McCain and Sarah Palin then it will confirm to me that the citizens of this country are backward morons.

October 18, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  20. rok

Northern Virginia, wake up. This woman just said that Northern Virginia "Not "Real" Virginia". I hope you all we not vote for McCain on that day. Terrible, Terrible!!!!!!!! It shows that McCain camp have preference to some states in America. Is that a quality of a leader?

Vote Early.

Vote Obama/Biden '08

October 18, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  21. Joan

Clearly what she meant by her comments about people form "Metro D.C." moving into Northern Virginia is that too many African Americans have relocated from D.C. into the Northern Virginia suburbs. I was born in and lived in D.C. for most of my life and many of my relatives have relocated in this way over the past 20 years and yes, the demographics have changed in Northern Virgina. I still am shocked, however, with the blatant arrogance and racism of her comment – stated with such ease and not retracted. I was watching MSNBC when she made this comment and the anchor, who was African American, "got it" right away, and that is why he was trying to give her a way out. This is just another example, usually brought up by Palin, of the McCain campaign's outright attempt to divide the country.

October 18, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  22. Dennis

So now Obama is a socialist ... Well, if Obama is a socialist, then McCain/Palin are fascists! STOP THIS. McCain/Palin are destroying this country!

Obama has been running a far cleaner campaign ... If they were to bring out the dirt on these two ... Keating 5, AIP, POW confession ... and even ACORN ... John.

Joe the Plummer is a Republican. McCain wants to use this dishonest man ...

JOHN STOP IN YOUR TRACKS and SAY YOUR SORRY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, then go home and retire.

October 18, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  23. voting Obama

I guess in Palin's mind, this part of Virginia is the pro-American. This just shows that they are incapable of reaching out to anyone outside of their base!

October 18, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  24. Josh

Nancy Pfotenhauer Who
    we are forced to watch her practice her brand of phony, over-smiling condescending reiteration of annoying Republican talking points far too often While some might say that Nancy is just full of Botox and lip filler, I think she's full of crap

October 18, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  25. Ken

Thank you, Peter, for knowing what "northern Virginia" is now. With the VRE to take commuters from Fredericksburg to DC, that whole area is now considered northern VA. Then you consider it's just another hour to Richmond, a likely Obama stronghold, and you pretty much have empty space and Kings Dominion in between. Good job ticking off the majority of the state, Nancy!

October 18, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |