October 19th, 2008

Palin says voters 'irritated' by robocalls

Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.
Palin discussed GOP robocalls and socialism on Sunday.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) – All of a sudden, Sarah Palin is eager to meet the press.

John McCain’s running mate took questions from her press corps for the second time in three days late Sunday after flying into Colorado Springs. But Palin was not completely on message.

Wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and standing on a breezy tarmac, Palin said that if she had her way, the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee would not be flooding battleground states with automated phone calls tying Barack Obama to former radical William Ayers, as they have done over the last week.

Several top Republicans, including Senators Susan Collins and Norm Coleman, have condemned the tactic. Asked about those criticisms, Palin at first dismissed the matter as "inside baseball stuff" and said it's "some of the campaign top brass’s call on that."

But when asked if she would approve the use of robocalls if she were running the campaign, Palin said she’d probably chart a different course.

"If I called all the shots, and if I could wave a magic wand," Palin said, "I would be sitting at a kitchen table with more and more Americans, talking to them about our plan to get the economy back on track and winning the war, and not having to rely on the old conventional ways of campaigning that includes those robocalls, and includes spending so much money on the television ads that, I think, is kind of draining out there in terms of Americans' attention span.

"They get a bit irritated with just being inundated," she continued, "and you're seeing a lot of that of course with the huge amounts of money that Barack Obama is able to spend on his ads and his robocalls also."

Ultimately, the Alaska governor said she was not calling for an end to the automated calls, and she did not say if she had spoken to campaign officials at any point about the calls.

Palin was also asked if she and McCain believe that Barack Obama’s tax plan, which would raise taxes on Americans making over $250,000 and provide tax credits to middle and lower-income workers, is socialist. At a campaign rally in New Mexico earlier Sunday, Palin said Obama wants to "experiment with socialism."

"There are socialist principles to that, yes," Palin said of Obama's plan. "Taking more from a small business or small business owners or from a hard working family and then redistributing that money according to a politician’s priorities. There are hints of socialism in there."

Asked if she thinks the government’s plan to inject billions of taxpayer dollars directly into troubled banks amounts to socialism - a belief held by many conservative legislators, talk radio hosts and bloggers - Palin said, "No, I do not."

"I believe that there are those measures that had to be taken by congress to shore up not only the housing market but the credit markets also, to make sure that that’s not frozen, so that our small businesses have opportunities to borrow, and that was the purpose, of course, and that part of the bailout and the shoring of the banks," she said.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Mariam Wang

Palin thinks her one-time SNL appearance would earn her good review with the press. Well, her answers certainly prove otherwise. Inconsistent, incoherent, and at times purely dishonest, now she argues against the tactic linking Obama to Ayers, fails to face up the bail-out, well – hints of socialism in there – while attacking Obama's tax plan, and admits that she is not calling the shots. Well. Guess the last part was the truth – puppet, parrot, and fair-weather politician. So very different from Washington, she is!

If SNL really turned the election, and McCain-Palin won in November, then the US truly deserve them – no doubt, and no future!

Independent turned Obama supporter – especially after McCain's VP selection!

Obama-Biden 08

October 20, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  2. dg in Toronto

I see what Palin is saying. Giving to the poor is socialism. Giving to the rich is not.

I don't think America can survive another pea brain for preseident. Obama is the only choice.

October 20, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  3. Asad

Palin just admitted that she doesn't like the way campaign is going. If she had any leadership she would confront McCain and the republicans about it!

WHY CANT THE MCCAIN CAMPAIGN JUST ADMIT THAT WE ARE LOSING THE WAR IN IRAQ, ARE THEY STUPID!!!!!!!!!

Anyway go Obama!! Make sure to Vote!!

October 20, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  4. Darrell (Florida

Palin scares me at times– I think she has some plans and an agenda that the American people aren't entirely aware of. Somehow I believe she's radical in particular ideologies. I know what I'll be getting if I vote for McCain- but I'm not so sure about his running mate Palin–her husband too.

Maybe it's just me.

October 20, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  5. NO MAM

she's full of herself. Now she's determining what is and isn't Socialism? Nationalizing banks by the current administration is not socialism? Oh, it's called "saving the country by a Republican president". You and you're old tactics of Sen. Joe McCarthy that's so 1947-1957...

October 20, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  6. Miri

I wish every one would stop picking on Palin & McCain by asking them tough questions that force them to think. After all last two times out we elected the guy who's not all that bright and that's been sorta OK.
    I mean hasn't it?

October 20, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  7. Mike Wagner

blah blah blah. Has she said anything that didn't involve slamming Obama? I guess when your campaign has no substance, you've nothing left to do. Hope you're still welcome in Alaska.

October 20, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  8. Randall

Could someone tell me what in the world John McCains criteria must have been to pick a running mate like this? I'm sure she is a nice person, but a possible POTUS are you friggin' kiddin' me!!! McCain wants to portray himself as just your average guy now THATS funny, could you imagine John McCain at a summit meeting with someone like Putin and the president making all those knucklheaded facial expressions evertime he hears something he disagrees with and S.P. in the background yelling "you keep on mavericking you mavericker"
    I think I'll just vote for the smart guy instead.

October 20, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  9. Denise

In other words, the robocop method is failing! Avaition of new course needed! Mayday! McCain/Palin ticket sinking quicker than The Titainic!

October 20, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  10. Surething

great comment Biden, "no more questions after Powell endorsement". so now Biden has no questions and no answers. sounds about right.

October 20, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  11. Cant believe this lady thinks she know socialism when she doesnt know a thing about it.

Sarah Palin has officially shown she does not know what socialism is about. Claiming that Obama wants to engage in Socialism while denouncing socialist actions by the current government is a contradiction and only goes on to show that she does not understand what socialism is about.

October 20, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  12. Just Me

This woman scares me – typical Republican fear mongering. It's time to vote for hope and our future not the past. Let's think about what America can be – not what we were (sorry Reaganites...).

October 20, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  13. Rich--Fargo

She sould be asked if she knows what socialism is. I know more then Gov. Palin and I do not qualify for a credit card.

October 20, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  14. Steve Los Angeles

I'm sorry, but shouldn't these people at least Google the word 'socialism' before they go throwing it around at people much more intelligent than themselves? Go away, Sarah.

October 20, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  15. Jack Six Pack

What voters are fed up with is silly sarah trying to pretend that she is qualified to be anything other than dogcatcher in some backwater hick town.

Sarah, if you ever tried to tell the truth perhaps some people other than wingnuts might listen to you but, since your one of them, I would guess not!

October 20, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  16. Michael Aparicio

While I, personally, am glad to hear Governor Palin openly criticize these tactics, I also can't help but notice how disorganized this campaign is. McCain's own Vice-Presidential candidate isn't staying on message. Do we really want such political incompetence in the White House?

October 20, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  17. jax08

This woman is a airhead!!

October 20, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  18. Taylor

Did anyone ask Palin if she even knows what socialism is?

October 20, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  19. Ben

They are letting Palin talk. True sign that they have given up.

October 20, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  20. Bigbubba

McCain claims he loves being the underdog. Good thing considering his campaign tactics. the only people that approve of his tactics are the far, far right wing of the right wing party. The folks that buy their sheets on the family plan, The folks that love minorities because otherwise they would have to do their own yard work.

And Palin, well bless her heart, she just can't stop lying can she. Obama's tax plan reduces taxes on everyone making less than $250,000 a year. See, that is not so hard to understand. So, unless she is just dumber than a box of rocks, she is just outright lying to the American people.

I don't know which sounds better. That she is that stupid or that she is as dishonest as the campaign is making her look. I'm leaning toward stupid. Otherwise, considering her avowed Christianity, she would be a hypocrite as well as being a liar.

October 20, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  21. Alex, Athens, OH

We're all of a sudden remorseful for our actions? I just don't understand the McCain/Palin ticket...

So thankful I've been an Obama supporter since the primaries started...

October 20, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  22. Oklahoma Woman for Obama 08

I'm sick of this woman. They are probably sick of me too since I don't make over $250,000 and recognize that they don't care about me...Obama/Biden 08

October 20, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  23. Rose

You BETCHA! Thank God we won't have to endure Palin's ideas after 2 more weeks. Then she can go educate herself on all those subjects about which she's so quick to opine.

October 20, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  24. kristi

If money is given to people it is called "Experimenting with Socialism"
    What is handing out large amounts of money to corporations and nationalizing banks called?

October 20, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  25. Brandon

how many times will she say shore up or shoring? idiot....

October 20, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |