October 19th, 2008

Powell endorses Barack Obama

Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.
Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.

(CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. AZVoter

The Republican smear of Colin Powell begins in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

October 19, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. James From Chicago

Powell is one of america;s most respected men.

I;m sure he thought very hard before he endorsed Obama, he mad the
    right choice,

Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  3. Grace Needed

This endorsement I just watched on Meet the Press was sincere and sensitive to his own party, as well as sensible at this time in the Presidential campaign. This was Colin Powell at his best discussing the best in the candidates and how they have failed to make use of their best – advice, resources, etc. He knows it takes more than being a war hero to lead a country through war to find peace and he knows it takes more than a fighter to bring our country out of this current economic mess. I agree with his endorsement and would endorse him for any position in President Obama's administration.

October 19, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  4. nesto

Yes, we should come together beyond party lines to save this country. I am also voting for Barack.

October 19, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  5. Chris, from WI

Couldn't have said it any better General! *cheers*

October 19, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  6. bob

This show Obama brings people and McCain dosen't

October 19, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  7. proudamerican

This comes as a very welcomed surprise. Colin represents the moderate American. His service to his country as well as his wisdom in knowing when to call it "quits" with W really makes him a fantastic supporter. Also, the fact that he is a Republican and has known McCain longer than Obama makes this move an interesting one...

October 19, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. No Longer Amused, Las Vegas

Thank you General Powell.

That was a well-thought out, succinct and respectful analysis of the situation.

That decision must have been hard for you, but you put the country first as you always have.

I haven't always agreed with you but I have always repected you. You once more showed me that you are a true American.

I especially appreciated you bringing up that we are a country of many religions and they are all welcome.

I am a Christian myself, but I don't think that we have addressed how much the 'accusation' of Obama being a Muslim is not just inaccurate, but more importantly, it is unAmerican that we should consider there to be anything wrong with it. My country welcomes freedom of worship.

God bless you.

October 19, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. White Christian Mother for Obama

awesome!! I like Powell!

October 19, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  10. Trysh in Los Angeles

An intelligent choice from an intelligent man. Now watch all of the hateful Republicans to come in and say its only because he is Black. They love Colin Powell when he is was on "their side", but now they will minimalize his opinion and their respect for him because the man he supports happens to be the same race as he is....just like the man they support is the same race as they are.

October 19, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  11. Bryan

And with the nail into McCain's coffin, Obama wins the election.

October 19, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  12. Winnie Hussein.... in Montana

Thank you, Gen. Powell, for your very careful, very thoughtful decision of who to endorse this year. Your intelligence and character have always impressed me and I am so thankful for your endorsement of the candidate I believe will be best for this nation. Thank you to Christopher Buckley, as well. He is incredibly talented and well educated and his endorsement indicates that a conservative can think for himself.

October 19, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  13. jim

It is the tale of the two candidates. Obama has the endorsement of Colin Powell and McCain has Joe the unlicensed plumber.

October 19, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  14. twiddly

Thank you, Colin Powell. More republicans need to acknowledge that Sarah Palin is in no way qualified to be vice president, much less president.

Her selection by McCain is indicative of 'gut' decision-making, and of playing to perceived political winds, trying to win points from women and evangelicals.

Palin is clearly not the best the republican party had to offer, and this political 'gimmick' will prove to be the downfall of his campaign.

October 19, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  15. Disbelief in San Dieg

What a betrayal to the women and men in uniform.

I am glad I never had to be in a foxhole with Powell. Unbelievable...

October 19, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  16. JohnLee

I've always admired Powell and I am glad that he is able to think for himself. He makes some valid points.

October 19, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  17. virginia for obama

Thank you secretary of state Colin Powell for your wise endorsement.
    You have giving us even more confident in Obama/Biden ticket. Again
    thank you.

Go Obama/Biden!!!!

October 19, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  18. John, Army Veteran

Negative campaigning does not work. Powell wants that message made public too.

October 19, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  19. Conservative

TRUE conservatives need to unite! I say we let Colin lead us. If he's voting Obama, so am I.

October 19, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  20. Todd

Wise choice from Colin Powell. I can already hear the McCain people saying it's a "black" thing.

October 19, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  21. Fawn

US General, US Secretary of State, Republican . . . . and powerful long time figure of this government – believes Palin is a mistake, that linking Obama to Ayers is only a political game . . . McCain is too negative and has changed far to the right of himself -and that Obama would do a fine job. Not suprised at all, it' truth! Thank you Mr. Powell.

October 19, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  22. KB

I've always had such respect for Colin Powell. He's a smart man!!

October 19, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. Mr. X

The GOP was looking for an October surprise? They've got it now.

October 19, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  24. teflon warrior

Wow... big surprise! I bet no one saw that coming!

October 19, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. 56 year old "WHITE" female

some one who will restore our world standing...that person is not John McCain. Thank you Collin Powell

October 19, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |