October 19th, 2008

Powell endorses Barack Obama

Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.
Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.

(CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

This is great news! He confirms what those of us supporters have known for a long time. Obama is ready to lead.

October 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  2. TRACI

This is for all you people out there that went on and on about your respect for his opinions!! FOXNEWS loved him (until they heard he would be endorsing Obama). Now watch all of the hypocrites try to discredit him. It will be really entertaining to watch people imply that it is based on race, although Powell has always voted with independant leanings. Let the show begin!!

October 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  3. Jon Stewart

This is great news – a Great American endorsing another Great American. This goes to prove that hope is alive and well in America in spite of the hateful and disgraceful campaign run by McBush and Palin.

October 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  4. Your Move

I have always had a great respect and admiration for Gen. Powell and have veiwed him as a true example of a great man and leader. Today he stepped beyond party lines and as an American citizen who loves and has well served his country endorsed the future betterment of said country. I have no doubt that Sen. Obama and his campaign are deeply honored by not only the recognition but by the vote of confidence in his ability by Gen. Powell to help all of us turn our lives and nation around to a brighter better day.

October 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  5. McWho??

This is good news. This goes to show that inspite of all the garbage being hauled at Obama, leaders know he is up to the task of leadership. All the McStrain/Pail-in scampaign can do is continue to attempt to drag Obama's name through the mud and stoke the fires of hatred. The rally in St.Louis yesterday shows just how ready America is for Change

October 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  6. Loyal Repulican for 49 years voting for OBAMA

Thank you Collin Powell, the voice of reason. You are a highly respected Repulican in so many ways. As a Republican, I am in total agreement with you on Barack Obama's intellect and ability to lead. Obama has the best interest of the hard working American in his heart.

Republicans for Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  7. (Former) Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

This is great news! I have such a deep respect for Gen. Powell as he is one of the Republicans that I try to model my social and political beliefs after. I think that Gen. Powell is a true American hero and exemplifies the best of the American Dream. You know that the extremist Republicans are already trying to tarnish this endorsement. They will likely say that Powell selected Obama because he is Black or they will attempt to tarnish Powell's overall achievements. This is just how extremist right-wing Republicans work-they only have hate, division, and anger to win any election!

October 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  8. Evelyn

I really respect the thoughtful and insightful way Colin Powell went about making his decision and how he explained both the strengths and weaknesses of both candidates and how that went about making this momentous decision. Thank you for talking about the best interest of America.

October 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  9. Jimmy

I am not surprise, any great mind in his position will take such decision that he has taken. Obama has proven to be a great mind that is capable of leading this country at this terrible time. General, again you have shown your honesty and above all your love for this country. God bless America.

October 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  10. anne

Obama will make a great president. To be backing McCain at this point you have to be really insane. Our country deserves a smart president. McCain has only shown that he thinks Americans are fools.
    Let's all keep working hard! We don't want haters to take over our country! They've already been in charge too long!

Obama 08!

October 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  11. Letha

Was anyone surprised by this endorsement? It was predictable, expected and all but said out loud for the last few months. I though Powell was a smart man but obviously playing follow the vombies.

October 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  12. Jackson

I'm thrilled but I know right-wingers are just going to turn it into a "black guy voting for a black guy" thing.

October 19, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  13. Justin

This is huge for Obama. Of all the people who served in the Bush administration, Powell is one of the few to leave it with some measure of respect from his peers and the public.

The fact that Obama can attract the vote of someone like Powell speaks volumes about his ability to unite and fix this country.

October 19, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  14. Tim, VA

Game is over McCain...lol

October 19, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  15. Owanemi Iyalla

I can't say I'm surprised. Nonetheless this is good, although I don't think it will sway voters decissions.

October 19, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  16. the Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Today the Columbus Dispatch endorsed John McCain. His experience, service and sacrifice have made him more qualified to president.

Well I can see why Powell is voting for "that one.". As i recall Powell was fired from the Bush White House. I think the reason Powell is voting for Obama is because he is black and so is Obama. I think that is the sole reason. I am shocked that the blacks are solidifying behind the black candidate. Now that is racism, right?

The Republicans gave Powell his national platform and now he is spurning them. I am shocked that he has that many sour grapes. I guess his African roots are deeper than his political views and his values were for sale.

October 19, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  17. AMAforObama

President Obama is going to need Powell's experienced when he moves into the white house.:-)

October 19, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  18. T. Rothchild, A Real Virginian from the northern part

I new it. Powell, being a four star general knows that Sarah Palin is
    unqualified and a direct threat to the national security of the United
    States. Yes sir, General Powell.

Democrats 08.

October 19, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  19. tom

October 19, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  20. A Sousley

This speaks loudly for Barack's wisdom and judgement. It also speaks loudly for McCain's lack thereof.

October 19, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  21. Mark, Ohio

I just saw Powell on Meet the Press – he explained everything well.

I really respect Powell and I think he is right.

October 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  22. OBAMA THE SMART CHOICE

Welcome aboard General!

October 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  23. Glenn

This is huge...Colin Powell is not only a Republican, but a military man. Here is a career general saying that the Bush/McCain policies toward Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc. are wrong.

October 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  24. Th3rdpwr

Of course Obama and McCain knew about this prior to the announcement, but WAHOOO! this is great!

October 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  25. Hpotterfan77 in CT

Thank you Mr. Powell. Welcome to the club. You have chosen to endorse a candidate that will mean real change this country can believe in. Obama/Biden '08/'12

October 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |