October 19th, 2008

Powell endorses Barack Obama

Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.
Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.

(CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. SDO

Awesome!!

October 19, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. SW,OHIO

I have always had alot of respect for Colin Powell and I have even more now! He's a very intelligent man and it shows! We love you Colin!!!!!

October 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. Niky

Whoa... great news. Colin is a very respectable man. Thanks for throwing your support behind Obama. Good going Barack!

October 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. BJ

Listening to Colin Powell this morning, I could not help but admire the man to come to, for what must have been to him, a very difficult decision. Many of the points he brought up, things he was not comfortable about that are happening in this campaign, were the very same things that I saw happening. My admiration for John McCain has really declined during this period. His choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate is becoming more and more scary each day. She has really stoked the fires to racially divide the country even more, whereas Obama is trying his best to bring the people together.

Another thing I have noticed is how McCain has seized upon, and is now promoting, many of the things that Obama was talking about from the beginning, e.g., Obama started to talk about change from the very beginning, so when McCain saw how well it was working for him, he decided to take it up too. I can't remember McCain talking about education until, again, he saw how well it was working for Obama. He really doesn't seem to be able to identify exactly what is needed for the American people.

How can he hire someone to help run his campaign, someone who just about villified him when he was running against Bush. That man has certainly brought his nastiness to the McCain campaign.

People, open your eyes and listen to what is being said by both candidates, then check out "Fact Check" and "Truth Squad", try to make an intelligent decision.

October 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. A citizen living abroad

None of this matter unless we go out and vote! I beg and I beg all of you to go out and vote for Obama!

God Bless!

October 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. Hugh Clark

I think the endorcement of Barack Obama by Mr. Powell is going to be a help to the candidacy of Obama.

October 19, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  7. Tiff of lithia springs

I always questioned Colin Powells attachment for the Republicans. I think that the Palin pick has been a question for many strong Republicans. It's a protest and Respectable Republicans need to take their party back.

October 19, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. R

this is not a surprise. he should have done that a long time ago. why now?

October 19, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. stacy

who would have thought he would have done otherwise.

October 19, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. Adrian Veidt

At one time, I had hoped Powell would run for president himself. It makes me glad that he's endorsed Obama.

October 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  11. nadeem

I've always admired Powell. He made a reasoned positive intelligent argument today as to why he is voting for Obama.

October 19, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  12. K from CA

Welcome aboard!

Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  13. White Christian Mother for Obama

I am glad McCain loves being the Underdog because that is where he will stay!!

October 19, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  14. Brenda

I am thrilled that Colin Powell endorsed Senator Obama! Now let's see how the Republican right will do to destroy Mr. Powell's credibility.

October 19, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  15. KG

STUPID!!!!! Say good-bye to the USA as we know it.

October 19, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  16. Orlando

Gen. Powell is a prominent figure around the world, which has made some bad decisions with the Bush Administration and would like to rectify our stands in the World and he sees Barack as the candidate who will chart the course for that to take place.

WELCOME Aboard Gen Powell!!!

October 19, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  17. Brian

This is a significant endorsement. As a republican it seems like one more nail in McCain's campaign coffin, as it were.

I have always had a high regard for Powell, and no one can argue that his experience in the Middle East situation is second to none. That he has come out in criticism of McCain and Bush is noteworthy.

This endorsement definately adds a point or two in my mind for Obama. I am still on the fence, but perhaps there is a tilt at the moment towards the blue...

October 19, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  18. midwestrn grl_stl

That's whats up.

October 19, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  19. Frances

Makes good sense to me!!

October 19, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  20. Jason Hussein, Nashville, Tn.

This comes as no surprise, Powell is a smart man who was used as a tool by the GOP.

October 19, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  21. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

"Obama lead at 6", minus the 2-6 point Bradley effect, and the normal closing of the gap at the end of the campaign, and we have an Electoral College squeaker. Powell's imprimatur won't change this by more than a point or two.

October 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  22. John, Minnesota

Good. Can we finally move on with rebuilding America and get off
    the lame McCain and Palin crap.

I'm ready to move my country into the future.

October 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  23. jerry

good news

October 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  24. freshdem15

FANFREAKINTASTIC !!!!

WHOOOOO HOOOOOO !!

October 19, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  25. Patrick

I hope this put the nail in the coffin.

October 19, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |