October 19th, 2008

Powell endorses Barack Obama

Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.
Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.

(CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Republicans in Favor of Dems.

Now there you have it. A one time avid support of Bush is now seeing the light. Supporting reason and sound judgement instead of the eratic judgement of John Mccain. I too as a republican is joining Gen. Colin Powell. That is putting country first over politics.

October 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. francisco siqueiros

I do not think its a good idea. if you are a republican, you have to go for the republican candidate even if you do not like the candidate. ....A very bad idea going public and suporting somebody else.

October 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  3. john ny

this is great Powell has been watching both campaigns very closely. he sees what america is looking at An erratic, grumpy old man who is out of touch and has turned his campaign into nasty ads and comments.
    Powell also said that palin is not ready to be the pres or vp powell would know mccain showed poor judgement mccain and palin ticket is disgusting even powell said that the robo calls are disgusting

October 19, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  4. JT

Yes sir, A black president would be electrifiying...

October 19, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  5. kau

Well, at least someone has the decency to tell the truth in simple terms. One leader want to lead America back to glory days and the other want to divide America into pro and anti America.

America it is time we decide.

October 19, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  6. Ivet

Is anyone surprised, he wants to see history made no matter at what cost

October 19, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  7. up

Finally, a courageous, sane voice! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Gen. Colin Powell! I feel safer in the US, today! There are still people in powerful positions in the US who feel the good of this nation is more important than party affliations! I am too a republican supporting Barack Obama for the EXACT same reasons you spoke, General Colin Powell! Thank you finally for voicing my concerns. This is the UNITED states, NOT the DIVIDED states!!!

October 19, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  8. Ben

As usually, Powell provides a voice of reason and sanity. Unfortunately, every right-wing site I've seen has been inundated by posters calling him anti-American, a traitor, and a racist. It saddens me greatly that a national hero is subjected to this type of ridiculous treatment, but I hope that on November 4th, the vast majority of Americans will prove that they are above this sort of pettiness.

October 19, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  9. McCain=the draft

Thank you for your honesty Colin Powell.

October 19, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. William

......FINALLY! A REAL Republican who can take on his own party! And he isn't even a maverick!

October 19, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. Tom Hedick

I was surprised at Colin Powell’s endorsement of Obama, I thought more of him and thought we shared the same values about life and our love of America. Needless to say I have lost my entire respect for Colin Powell. What a slap in our troops face, Obama is dangerous and reckless and Powell knows it but because the Bush administration hung him out to dry this is his way of paying them back. The man has totally turned his back on his country. I hope history judges him harshly!!

October 19, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. Linda

Powell was misled by one Republican presidential team. I do not think he wants to see this happen again. McCain/Palin have characteristics so similar to Bush/Cheney – a disregard for taking advantage of the great thinkers in this country in order to promote an agenda that never had a mandate. McCain/Palin, like Bush/Chaney, is simply dangerous and promises to lead this country in the current path.

October 19, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. Larry, Hazleton, Pa

Thank you General Powell this could not have come at a more important time in our nations history. We now could have the best chance of regaining the the ideals of our founding fathers.

October 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  14. Annie, Atlanta

How could any intelligent person not endorse Barack Obama. John McCain is tearing this country apart with fear and hate, on purpose, so he can be President. We may never heal after what he and Palin are doing. Now Republicans are purging voters from lists nationwide. I don't even recognize America anymore.

October 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. Albert Ware, Jr.

Gen. Colin Powell said everything that needed to be said and should be said. Sen. Obama is exactly what this country needs right now and I pray to GOD he wins!!!!!

Obama/Biden 08 & 12!!!

October 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. From the North

Powell joins an increasing number of prominent Republicans who have stated they have doubts about McCain's judgement and temperament and overall ability to lead.

A man who puts country before his own personal interests and before party loyalties – a man to emulate indeed! Very admirable.

October 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  17. republican who cares

How two faced can you get? Glad he deceided to leave the White House. I had the utmost respect for Colin Powell, however I have reservations about him now. If he ever ran for any office he certainly would not get in on my vote.

October 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  18. Justin from CT

Powell> Lieberman as far as cross-over endorsers go.

October 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  19. Chuck

DUH.

October 19, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Maybe it is because of his race.

October 19, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  21. holding breath

We all knew long ago that Colin Powell was a stand up guy. The Bush admin. showed him no respect. The new Republican crew will attack him shortly. But I think it is a huge endoursement from a man of the world for the benefit of the United States and our reputation abroad. Let's see.

October 19, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  22. Albert Ware, Jr.

Gen. Colin Powell said everything that needed to be said and should be said. Sen. Obama is exactly what this country needs right now and I pray to God that he wins the election!

Obama/Biden!!!!

October 19, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. marc

I would have been rather it have been Colin Powell running than Obama.
    I don't put too much into it. Why should he go against the grain and subject himself to ridicule from the black community at this point when Obama is ahead in the polls.. If he would have done it months ago, I would put more credibility into it.

October 19, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. Cindy in Atlanta

This is a huge endorsement from my perspective. His criticsm of the Palin pick echos the sentiments of all the "major" newspapers that also endorsed Obama this weekend. I was also glad that he emphasized the "negative" tone of the McCain campaign as to why he decided to support Obama.

But they continue with the negative attacks....don't they get it? I hope they will read or listen to Powell's entire endorsement and perhaps decided to start talking about real issues....but it just might be too late at this point.

Obama/Biden '08

October 19, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  25. Republican

I trust Colin Powell's judgement. The deciding factor was the most telling. John McCain campaign as well as his VP pick speak directly the lack of McCain's judgement and therefore disqualify him for the Presidency. My vote will follow Mr Powell's and go for Obama/Biden.

October 19, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |