October 19th, 2008

Powell endorses Barack Obama

Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.
Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.

(CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. gijoe31523

Will he again be Secretary of State or the new Secretary of Degfense?

October 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  2. Obama/Biden 08

Radical Ring-wing implosion in...5, 4, 3, 2....1.

So everyone get ready for the slams against Powell and it goes something like this:

No one really cares about his opinion.
    How he never really was that great
    He's only voting for Obama because he's black
    He's a traitor
    He was the one who lied about weapons, not Bush
    He is irrelevant.....blah blah blah

Did I forget anything righties? I'm sure they are furiously stamping out the talking points as we speak.

October 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  3. OBAMA '08

McCain when are you going to learn??? Tell us what you're going to do, instead of trying to drive fear about Barack Obama!!! Your attempts to divide America are saddening and pitiful.

October 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  4. Reason

Good job Powell and welcome aboard. On to the promise land!

October 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. MoxieGurl

Finally he returns from the dark side and the UnAmerican forces of evil....

Welcome back General Powell

October 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. Reggie

the new kind of October surprise....

October 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  7. Don

I have admired General Powell since the first gulf war. I admire him still

October 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  8. James in NJ

WOW! The greatest and strongest and wisest Republican since Ronald Reagan backs Barack Obama!
    Powell, Buffet, and Condi Rice(soon) undecideds still need to hear more?
    That is the Endorsement of the Year!
    Now I just need to record MY endorsement on Nov 4th!
    Obama/Biden in 08!

October 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  9. Tony Wilson

This is the Nail In The Coffin for McCain/Palin....Let's see Joe The Plubmer Beat That...

Obama/Biden 08-16

October 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  10. Alison

hooray!!!!!!!

October 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  11. shay

I was waiting and peeping around the corner for this.

Thank You Secretary of State Colin Powell

October 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  12. pat C.

thank you mr. powell. maybe now more people will see why obama is the right man for the job to rebuild this country. i am so worried about this wonderful nation in the way mccain and palin are trying to divide us. mccain will go down in shame and sarah palin will be known as a race baiter and the worst republican in history once this election is over.
    i pray this endorcement will begin to pull us together as a body of americans and move on from all the bad and spitful ignorance that has come from the republicans and slanders on obama will stop.
    i am a proud american that has voted already for barack obama because he is the one to heal us.

October 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  13. Lisa from Saugus

It is not surprising that a black man would vote for the first black Presidential candidate.

I don't think Colin Powell is giving John McCain a fair chance!!! His problem is with George Bush not John McCain.

Lisa, Saugus, MA

October 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  14. Christy

I love this endorsement and have tremendous respect for Colin Powell. However, the sad reality is that much of white America will not give it value reducing it to "a black man supporting another black man".

Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  15. (Former) Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

I just say Powell's brief comments and he said a lot. I liked his statement about the unnecessary negativity of the McCain camp that has, in my view, erroded considerable repect for McCain, for example, I simply have no more regard for McCain. I respect his service as a military hero, but as a politician, he has shown extremely bad judgment and dishonor. Powell was right; we have so many real problems in this nation, that the last think we should be worrying about are stupid and false attacks.

October 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  16. Larry-Detroit

who I'm I to say anything negetive about this endorsment with a stand up guy like Collin Powell.

October 19, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  17. blaising

THERE'S THE LOVE!!!

Kudos to Mr. Powell...the man has a good head on his shoulders....and a HEART!!

October 19, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  18. Bob Virginia

Powell said he questioned Sen. John McCain's judgment in picking Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate because he doesn't think she is ready to be president.

This is why Mc Cain will be unable to win this election, he had a better than even chance before selecting her as VP, What could he have beeen thinking??? He had it made with his "experience" versus Obama., then he selected Palin, such a befuddled choice he made.

October 19, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  19. Kezi

I know this won't get put on because my comments never do...I just want to congratulate Colin Powell for being a republican of dignity and reason, we all have been turned off by the negative tones of Senator McCain's campaign. I'm glad you and other conservative 's realized that it's way out of line. Hopefully this will be a new era in politics where out parties discuss ideas about bettering America and not whose more American and whose not!

October 19, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  20. Linda32

People are tired of the tone of the McCain's campaign. Plain and simple.

October 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  21. Adam

This is HUGE – I think this is the final nail in the McCain Coffin...na na na na – hey hey hey...good bye!!!

October 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  22. Rice

Thank you ever so much Mr. Powell. Barack is the uniter and will not only unite our country but the world. I could not be prouder today to be an American. After living 10 years in Europe, I am finally happy to be home and ready to travel the world again with pride!!! Thank you not only Mr. Powell but to all of us Obamamates who support Obama and the future of the USA!!! Happy days are here again!!! Almost, so don't forget to vote and let's keep working to make this the best presidency and administration straight through unti 2016 as this will not end on inauguration day, that day will only be the beginning, however the beginning of a new day for America.

October 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  23. sw

Thank you Mr. Powell and welcome to our team "Change You Can Belive In".
    Obama/Biden

October 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  24. BAT

I bet you a milltion dollars that Election day, He will vote for McCain!

October 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  25. Ted van Tol

Finaly! A great man who was fuled by his own secret service
    and Pres. Bush on Iraq, supports Obama.
    A good and wise decision, I hope he will enjoy his team on foreign politics.

October 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |