October 19th, 2008

Powell endorses Barack Obama

Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.
Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.

(CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. ABG

If Barack Obama was more like Colin Powell, he would be leading by alot more in the polls.

Given how Obamadisplayed himself before and during the primary, especially the comment that people from PA have hatred for others that are different from them, I do not trust who he really is inside.

I am a lifelong Democrat who is really nervous about electing a man no one really knows who has no accomplishments.

I hope Obama delivers on what he promises if elected.

October 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. Cathy

I was truly touched by Powell's story about the Muslim-American who gave his life for this country in the Iraq war. That solider loved this country just as much as the next solider....no matter what his faith was.

I wish the republican would stop trying to demonize the mid-eastern faiths. The republicans (including Palin) seem to forget 9/11 was executed by radical extremist and not American-Muslisim, Arabs, etc.

October 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. Susan

Listen to General Colin Powell's statements, Why? His press conference was very informative, his reasons are logical.

October 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. Palin Pales in Comparison

Hmmm wa negative thing will McCain come up with for Powell???
    Tick Tock....give it another hour...
    Desperado McCain !!!

October 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. Janice

francisco siqueiros,

Maybe this helped General Powell make up his mind:

Sarah Palin: Palling Around With Secessionists

October 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  6. Pamma

This is the NAILin the coffin!

October 19, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  7. CaroleK

General Colin Powell's endorsement of Barack Obama has is extremely powerful. Powell became the Bush Administrations "sacririficial lamb" on the Iraq War. I watched on CNN International in Europe the day that, within 5 minutes, VP Cheney and Gen. Powell contradicted each other on Iraq! Powell was forced to spit out the Bush line at the U.N. His discomfort was obvious.As an General, a former Secretary of State, a Republican; his endorsement is as weighty to Republicans as Senator Kennedy's.was to Democrats. Anyone who thinks this is about race, is delusional. Once the hype about Palin died down and Americans heard her views and "qualifications," any intelligent, educated person knew that this woman was a reckless, impulsive choice of a man who placed his political aspirations far ahead of this country he claims comes first.

October 19, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. Dem for McCain

Glad to see Powell waited to see who was going to win, so he could secure his new cabinet position.

Interesting to see also that race really does trump all other considerations, whether consciously or sub-consciously.

October 19, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. Christine El Paso

I'm glad to see the party politics falling to the waistside with some people like Powell. It's very refreshing and shows that some people think for themselfs. Mr. Powell is a very respected man in American Politics, and his whole statement on his endorsement shows why!

October 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  10. sarah

Colin Powell's intelligent, measured, pragmatic endorsement of Barack Obama reinforces my decision to vote for Barack Obama. The Obama-Biden team provides America with the leadership, judgement, inclusiveness and temperment we need for today's extraordinary complex issues.

This endorsement could be a 'game-changer' . Let this be a wake up call to McCain and the RNC to back off the negative and hostile campaign rhetoric and campaign on substantive areas of disagreement and approach. Not Ayers, not Acorn.

As a registered Republican, I've donated to the Obama campaign and will again if the McCain, Palin and the RNC don't change the tactics. Obama doesn't need my donation, but it helps send the message that negativity is not the way to demonstrate leadership.

October 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  11. Colin PowBowWow

Lol!! This coming from a guy who sold the WMD story to the UN. What a jerk!! He should be impeached along with BUSH. Enough with this crap. Impeach Bush, imprison Cheney and then put all the Nancy Beach Pelosi led democratic congress in the prison as well for their inadequacies and impotence on getting anything done.

October 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  12. insider

Lilly is an idiot!!!!!

October 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  13. American Citizen

How Sad!

October 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  14. republicans hate america

Well now the McCain campaign will say Powell is not a real general because he is black. stay tuned gutter politics are going to get even uglier.

October 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  15. nathan

Rice could come out and endorse Obama too!

October 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  16. Candy Wilson

I was unable to see this Live as I was working on data on my computer; as this is what I do for the Campaign.. I am a disabled RN with only 20% lung function so I have to do a sitting job.. I worry every day that the race is getting away from us with ALL this Horrendous Publicity... This is like a Breath of fresh air...And I literally cried as I read the story and how thoughtful and "sharp" he spoke... It was a Powerful and yet SOFT message.. Like Sen McCain said " quoting "Teddy" Walk softly but carry a big stick.. Col Powell is like a tree....I love him always have.... God Bless

October 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  17. ts

Thank you Powell!!! Americans this is a man who work with Bush and know that it is time for a change. Its not about color or about the party you with. Its all about getting someone in the WH that will be able to handle anything and for anybody to know how Washignton need to be handle would be Powell/that he knows that Barack would be the men for the job. Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  18. Margaret Leicester

Excellent! Colin Powell is a very reasoned, intelligent, grounded Republican. I can listen to him! He should be in Obama's cabinet, someone suggested Secretary of Defense–good thought

I loved Powell's response to questioning Obama's faith. I'm paraphrasing here "He is not a Muslim, he is a Christian. But the correct response should be, so what if he were a Muslim? This is a diverse country and there is nothing wrong with being a Muslim in this country."

The McCain camp needs to stop the name calling and smears now!

October 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  19. tiffany in ohio

COU NTRY FIRST...........AMERICANS FIRST.................UNITY FIRST............INTELLIGENTS FIRST...............HUMANITY FIRST..............RESPECT FIRST....................GOP PARTY LAST!!!!!!!!

October 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  20. Born in the USA

No matter who endorses Barrach Hussein Obama he certainly will not get my vote.

October 19, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  21. republicans hate america

October 19, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  22. Independent from Political Party BS!

It's amazing that Obama supporters can accept Powell with open arms but forget that Powell was a central character in feeding the country false intelligence that led to the Iraq war.

Powell and the Bush Administration should be put into jail for lying to the country!

Frankly, I'm glad Powell has endorsed Obama... Liars of a feather flock to Obama!

October 19, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  23. kmc

who cares? he unplugged himself for relevance and we all know why he is endorsing him. They have only one thing in common.

October 19, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  24. Jesus Praising, Freedom Loving American Patriot

IF PALIN IS SO QUALIFIED... Then why didn't she run for president?

I wonder what the Republican Primary would have looked like?

October 19, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  25. Meka

Thank you General Powell...
    In fact, I had visioned you as the VP. But I'm also a realist, and I suppose that would have been asking too much, of our Citizen's.

America is aware, that initially, you DID NOT SUPPORT THE IRAQ INVASION.

Thank you again for your JUDGEMENT and your VISION.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08-'12