October 19th, 2008

Powell endorses Barack Obama

Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.
Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.

(CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. ready for change

THANK YOU MR. POWELL!

October 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  2. Dawn

It looks like McCain looses. Powell decision to choose Obama was not much of a shock to alot of Obama supporters. When you spew hatred in America you will loose! Dirty politics makes dirty politicians. He does not like McCains pick for VP, as for me I trust in Obama's pick in VP Joe Biden, He is perfect!
    I am listening to Powell right now, he speaks the truth about McCain, Hearing about Non-Americans in the Government, welcome back Joe McCarthy. McCain/Palin is trying to bring back that back. What scares me the most is that she is a heartbeat away from the Presidency? Well if you are a Democrat you are Anti-Americans, if you are a liberal you are a non-American. Remember that her endorsement for the Govenor of Alaska was AIP? So that makes her a non American As I listen to both Parties in their Campaign, McCain and his puppet, Palin are trying to split people up, and Goddess help us! Please vote in November and vote with your heart, not with fear.
    GoBama and Biden and Bless America for this great American!

October 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  3. joan

Thank you, mr.Powell. You are a great man. I always admire you and I knew you would endorse Obama.

October 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  4. L. MIAMI, FLORIDA

JOBS BABY JOBS !
    JOBS BABY JOBS !
    JOBS BABY JOBS !
    JOBS BABY JOBS !

FROM THE BLUE STATE OF FLORIDA ,

GO OBAMA BIDEN

October 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  5. JB

It's getting increasingly difficult for anyone to attack Obama as lacking substance. General Powell is not a man who would be easily fooled by a smooth talking speech giver. This endorsement is very significant.

October 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  6. Christiane from Germany

Great Endorsement

October 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  7. TXvet

General Powell, I couldn't agree more!

October 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. ava-GA

October 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  9. Central FL

Thank you, Powell. His objective analysis was very thoughtful and sincere.

The Orlando Sentinel also endorsed Obama for president today.

Yes we can!

October 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  10. Jesse

Powell is great AMERICAN an not to be taken lightly

October 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  11. John in VA

Gen. Powell, you are one of the few Republicans I have the upmost respect for, and you just now showed one of the reasons why. I really wish you had chose to run for President in 96.

October 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  12. king

it's over

October 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  13. carmen collins

October 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  14. Waiting for an intelligent sign

If there is anyone I would rather have as President would have been Colin Powell. I think his endorsment is awsome. And he's a Republican. I believe he retired because he did not like what he was seeing in Washington. His critique of his view on what he has been seeing is dead on, Including McCain VP choice.

Go Bama Go!

October 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  15. Anonymous

SMART MAN

October 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  16. Ratemo

Obama camp, keep it steady......There is light at the end of the tunnel As an idependent, I am comfident that President Obama has more to offer. Best wishes to Obama/Biden

October 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  17. Kyle, MA

I love it. This is a military man who is undisputed in his service to this country. His support means everything, and a resounding vote of confidence.

Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  18. The choice is clear

Yes of course Colin is black, but if anyone knows anything about Colin is that he doesn't make decisions based on superficial things.

The man is a war hero himself and a general. We've seen him to be thoughtful, patient, and authoritative.

October 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  19. Joe Regis

Powell can now be forgiven for the deception of the Iraq war. It is clear that he was mislead as well as the rest of the nation and the world into supporting a misguided war of opportunity waging in part by soldiers of fortune.

Congratulation General!

Now, we turn the page on the republican this year.

Landslide Obama/Biden 08/12.

October 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  20. Ted

Glad to see that not all the GOPpers out there are brain dead.

October 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  21. Jackie

Secretary Powell echoes my own thoughts,,,,,,the choice of vp is large and Senator Obama chose well...I believe both presidential candidates are good men.........Senator McCain who I would have gladly voted for 10 years ago has, because of his age and belief that this is his last chance, sold his soul to the RNC.......a number of us, in the last two elections, have done the same- and look at what it has gotten us.... Its time for a new direction..

October 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  22. Olegringo, NM

Powell, unlike some of us did'nt really have a choice.

October 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  23. DJ

This is fantastic news for the Obama ticket. Not that I necessarily agree with Sec. Powell's judgement as regards most things (he did back Bush after all), but I'm glad to see this stalwart republican backing the only candidate that makes sense in the given set of circumstances surrounding this election season.

October 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  24. B in NC

Mr. Powell, thank you so much for proving the point I've been making for so long during this election: Race trumps all when it comes to the blacks supporting Nobama during this Presidential Election.

October 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  25. former gop

I knew he would because he's trying to redeem himself for lying to the American people about WMDs in Iraq, which he was bullied into by George W, to get us into this unnecessary, costly, humiliating war.

Former Secretary of State, sir, I hope you intend to speak out daily against four more years of the colossal mess you contributed in creating.

SIR, REDEEM YOURSELF.