October 19th, 2008

Powell endorses Barack Obama

Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.
Powell endorsed Obama Sunday.

(CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. GreatDepression

Wow, this was completely unexpected. Next we’ll hear Condoleezza Rice is voting for Obama, too. And I can hear all the racist epithets being thrown at me already. Whatever. FYI: I’m not voting for either one of these morons, and it has nothing to do with skin color or age.

October 19, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  2. Jeff

That is the icing on the cake for me...

Obama/Biden in 2008!!!

October 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  3. Josh

Yay Powell!

October 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  4. Diana

Great!!!!!!

October 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  5. James Walker

It won't be long before the Republicans try to belittle Powell's achievements and service for America and the Republican party in an attempt to water down this endorsement.

It's still good endorsement.

October 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  6. john

finally a republican with half a brain

October 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  7. That One won

Good job! I like also the reasons why Obama gets this endorsement.

October 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  8. Patty Eversoll

Obama talks the talk....but will he walk the walk....

October 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  9. question

i am not surprised at all......he waited this long...so he could be on the winning team......

October 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  10. John Dubai

Great leader endorses the new Leader of the free world..
    Mr. Obama will lead this country back to the promise land.

October 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  11. Stew From DC

This is great. Colin Powell speaks for many sensible people around this Country no matter what your politiclal affiliation. That the future of America is clear and it should be Barrack Obama.

Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  12. The Elitist

Intelligence recognizes intelligence.

October 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  13. Lisa T

Good choice General Powell! I too have voted for candidates in both major parties and I too have come to the conclusion that Obama is the intellectual and inclusive President that we need in America! I trust his judgement in foreign policy and economics way – something I can't say for the other ticket! Thank God we still have rational people who take the direction of our country seriously! I am proud to be an American and proud to be supporting Senator Barack Obama for President of the good ole' U.S.A.!!!!

Lisa T – turning Florida blue!!!!

October 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  14. jules

McCain has the backing of over 200 military leaders and many, many former Secretarys of State. Obama has the backing of Ayers and Rev. Wright, and now, Powell, one of the top 3 responsible for our country's mess! Yippee!!!

October 19, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  15. Larry

I just wish Powell hadn't felt he NEEDED to endorse Obama!

October 19, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  16. Aruba4Obama

Just what Obama needs right now a big endorsement of this caliber.

October 19, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  17. USMC

Bravo General Powell.

October 19, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  18. Not4MoreYears

Thank you, Colin Powell. I feel that this endorsement carries a lot of weight to several different audiences, and I know it was made for the right reasons.

Sir, you have done your country proud for many years, and this is one more example of that.

October 19, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  19. carlos

look my friends everyone is leavining the repubs even The General

Obama/Biden08/12

October 19, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  20. Brian from NYC

YES WE CAN!!!!! Plenty of room on the bandwagon for CHANGE!!!

October 19, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  21. Steve

I never thought Powell would play the race card. It's a good example of blacks banning together to get a black man elected president. It just goes to show that skin color is what this democratic party is all about.

October 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  22. Middle-Aged White Lady

I am ecstatic about Powell's endorsement. And it was made for the right reasons – Obama will change, will heal our relationship with the rest of the world. That IS important – we must regain our status as "the last best hope" – which has been so badly damaged over the past eight years.
    I am also glad he specified the selection of Palin as what turned him away from McCain. That was a foolish, politically-motivated decision on the part of the McCain campaign that may very well come to haunt them after the election.

October 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. carolyn

What a great endorsement! I am so proud of Barack and his campaign.

October 19, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  24. KJL

He had a painful decision, but he chose America.

October 19, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |