October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Oregonian for Obama/Biden

I really like what the Texan Independent for Obama had to say in a previous posting….

Don't gloat…., VOTE.

Obama is so close to sprinting through that finish line. That being said, we Obama supporters need to stick together, vote early if we can, encourage our fellow Obama supportes to also vote early, and stay involved even after we help him to win the election on November 4th. Remember, Obama winning this election is only the beginning, and he will be able to do great things with our help and support. But, we can't afford to become complacent either – it's more important than ever to stick together and make sure that Obama gets to the White House. I simply don't put anything past the Republican party and this election is not about them…it's about all of us. This country truly has a chance to once again be FOR the people and BY the people. About dang time, I'd say.

Obama/Binden 2008!

October 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  2. Peter (CA)

Umm, CNN.....47-46 in WV is not a 6 pt lead.

This is good news. The lead is pretty steady (Rasmussen has had it in a narrow range of about 50-52 to 44-45 for three weeks now). The swing states are coming aboard.

And now Colin Powell is backing Obama also.
    I can't wait to see what the foaming at the mouth right wingers will have to say.

October 19, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  3. Rj

I don't care what the polls say. I'm not counting my chickens till Obama is elected President. In fact I hope the polls stay close so nobody decides their vote is not important.

October 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. ANGIE

Come on OHIO Its time for change no more dirty Poltics, No more lies, No more Of our country DIVIDED, Its time we have risen up and go above this kind of stuff its time to turn the page to Anew ITS TIME FOR BARACK OBAMA TO BE PRESIDENT!! DONT FORGET TO VOTE!

October 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  5. Wisest one of All

Looks like there are a lot of fools out there. Why else would someone blindly follow a racist empty suit like hussein nobama. He has nothing to offer this country and can only spout campaign slogans. Proven fact!

October 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. JANIE

WELL SAID. GO VOTE!

October 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. Bobbie, New Orleans

Americans-remember-you don't have to give up your core values in order to turn the economy around-

Do we want Communism or Socialism here?

Do we want our money taken from us in the form of higher taxes and given to crack heads sitting on street corners in the ghettos?

Time to decide.

October 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Mike

Huumph. Must be all of the Not "Pro American" areas that Tina Fey er..Sarah Palin warned us about.

October 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. Teen who cannot vote this election

I encourage everyone to go out there and vote on Nov 4.

Obama/Biden '08

October 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. john for Obama

Oregonian for Obama/Biden
    Well said!!!!!

Yes this will not be over on Nov 4th by no means !! GO TEAM OBAMA!!

October 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Joe in MN

Minnesota Blue!

Go and vote! For whoever! The more, the more accurate our democracy becomes reflective of the desires of the population.

October 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. SC

B Huseen Obama is so crooked and the sheep following him around are so stupid they are blind. Pretty soon they will see just how crooked he is. How can he get the money for his campaighn> the American people have been hurt by this economical crisis and how are they getting money toi fuel his camphaign? I would think that he has found someway to use some of the money he got from frannie mae and freddie max and helping acorn org continue the fradulant registratiopn. I am a born and raised American. I do not want someone off his caliber to represent our great country. I am so ashamed that Colin Powell, a man I have had great respect for untim now that he has given in to racisism. It shows me how mislead I have been to think him a man of nonor. At one time I would have gladly voted for nim as president but he has shpown me how wrong I have been.

October 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Vegas Barbie for Obama

Agree with you, Oregonian! Early voted Obama/Biden yesterday to help turn Nevada blue but we must all keep up the effort!!
    OBAMA/BIDEN '08 & '12 YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. witch

Please show up and vote. We so need change and we know who will give us that. I am very proud to cast my vote for Obama and Biden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So all who signed up to vote please we need you to show up. Also I think Palin sucked on SNL. I thought she was crabby..

October 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  15. Kevin

Don't get cocky ... vote for Obama on Election Day.

October 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. Nannie Bouroughs

Pour as much money as you can to buy the presidency Oblama; you are just going to waste money that could have and should have gone to far better causes than your enormous ego.

You will NOT change red states blue; you will simply end up being black & blue...

October 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

When McCain/Palin started splitting states and the country into "pro-american", "real-part-of-the-state", etc., it made me sick.

We have to be the UNITED States.

Obama/Biden '08

October 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. Hispanic for Obama

Complacancy is the enemy. Keep on spreading the word, creating the buzz, and most of all...make sure to come out and vote on November 4th!

Obama/Biden 08!

October 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. Jay N.H.

Ican't believe how close this election is I mean the republicans have based thier whole campaign on playing to the deepest darkest fears of the american people. I mean if you really think that you are better off now than 8 years ago or think that things will be better in the next 4 with the same basic policies. I am just beside myself. It's time to shed our fears and do what's best for all of us and not just some of us. Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. Tom, New Mexico

Obama is going to take Joe the Plumbers money and give it to people who refuse to work–who are on welfare for their whole lives-

Is this what you want????

October 19, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. Julie

I want a bumper sticker that says "My president is a Harvard graduate"!!

October 19, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. Georgian for Obama/Biden

The "Oregonian for Obama/Biden" said it all!

Obama/Biden 2008!!!

October 19, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  23. A Sousley

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-46 percent.

I guess I may have forgotten my math since I got out of school many years ago, but that doesn't look like 6 points to me. But I could be wrong. I think I was once or twice....lol

I love the way the polls are looking but we can't take the chance...we have to vote, every one counts and we can't take the chance that McCain wins. So remember, if you can vote early, vote early, if not, get out on Nov. 4th and VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 19, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  24. AdamW

Yes indeed. Don't get cocky now. Let's do this!

October 19, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  25. Sophia Beck

We have to keep our cool. we can not take advantage of anything.

GO VOTE, WE HAVE A VOICE, AND WE HAVE THE RIGHT-THIS YEAR IT IS MORE IMPORATANT THAN EVER TO CARRY OUR VOICE TO OUR COUNTRY. DON'T FOREGT TO VOTE NOV. 4TH

October 19, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |