October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Barbara L. Giles

I am trying to understand McCain/Palin's tactics. I never hear anything of substance in their speeches. Their tactic is lying about Obama's polices and trying to get applause with one-liners. It scares me to see how these people are taken in with their lies. People, do not be fooled by these wolves in sheep's clothing. If you think that the economy is good right now, vote McCain/Palin, for they have the same policies that Bush has. If you want a better economy, vote Obama/Biden. It is as simple as that. Do not be taken in by these deceitful liars. Do not allow yourselves to be the audiences of these Jim Joneses.
    CNN, please print this. You never print any other. You don't because I speak the truth.

October 19, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. Alaskan for Obama/Biden

I agree: Don't Gloat- Vote! Let's kick it up a notch Obama supporters! Vote early, make calls, and get involved with your local campaign offices. Together, we can!

October 19, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Mike from Calgary

It's a democracy. Let the people decide. You get the Government you deserve. Americans derserve what they have got more the last EIGHT YEARS. WANT MORE OF THE SAME? VOTE REPUBLICAN.

EVEN JOHN McCAIN SAYS HE WANTS CHANGE – HOW CAN HE LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND THEN LIE DOWN WITH THOSE PEOPLE RUNNING HIS CAMPAIGN.

I CRINGE EVERY TIME I HEAR THE REPUBLICAN PARTY ADS, AND THEN SEE A SMILING McCAIN SAY "I AM JOHN McCAIN AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"!

I CRINGE EVERY TIME I HEAR JOHN McCAIN SAY "My Friends" and then he knowingly goes on to repeat the lies, and half-truths to MISLEAD the voters. HOW STUPID DOES HE THINK AMERICANS or other NATA peoples are!

October 19, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Juan Grain

People DO NOT LET UP!!! I told my mother in NC to pretend she is killing a snake, DON'T STOP HITTING IT UNTIL IT STOPS MOVING, AND THEN HIT IT SOME MORE!

October 19, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. A NATION OF WINERS for OBAMA

BARACK OBAMA WANTS TO HELP ALL WORKING

AMERICANS SEND THEIR CHILDREN TO THE KIND

OF SCHOOLS HE WENT TO, NOT MAKE MORE BILLIONAIRES

AT OUR EXPENSE LIKE GEORGE BUSH, HIS FATHER BEFORE

HIM & MCBUSH, WHO VOTED A 90% OF THE TIME FOR THE RICH.

AND WE HAVE HIM ON VIDEO SAYING IT HIMSELF.

October 19, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  6. Clif,Atlanta

That's right,stick together and don't be deterred from doing your duty by voting for "o". I have a cousin that went to vote early and encountered resistence. She moved to a different address recently and went to the polling station that she was accustomed to going. She was told that was not her voting station and blew her off. Obvious they didn't know who they were dealing with. She persisted and insisted for information until they got tired of looking at her and told her where she needed to go. She was able to go to the correct station and vote. This was just one incident I know of personally. I'm sure their are many other incidents of this kind. Don't be turned away by road blocks. This is your right."VOTE"

October 19, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. Phil Newton in Murphy, Oregon

The real Joe the plumber knows who his real friend is.

Obama 08

October 19, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. oboeanon

I agree, Oregonian! We need to keep our minds on the finish line to get Obama elected! It's not over yet!

Go Obama! God Biden!

October 19, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. BM

It appears that McCain will try just about anything to win. He used someone who claimed to be a plumber to make an argument to distract. Joe the plumber is a relative of Charles Keating, who was not vetted like his running mate.Joe the plumber is a liar and cnn, you want to make him a star?

October 19, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. Independent Voter

I love how the Obamabots are so excited over Colin Powell's endorsement. The same Powell who a few days ago testified in court that Ted Stevens was an honest man, the same Powell who said Stevens is a man of integrity, the same Powell who testified before the UN he knew FOR A FACT that Iraq had WMDs that got us into this mess. Not exactly a man whose judgment I trust

October 19, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. charles

John Mccain wants to work from the top down by giving cuts to corperations in hope that they will creat jobs. The recent past has demonstrated the flaw in the idea. Most buisnesses/corporations have not invested in jobs for Americans instead they have put the money in their pockets and given jobs away to other countries.

October 19, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  12. N.S, Huntsville, al

Keep up the good work Obama

October 19, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. henry

obama/biden08

October 19, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. TH

How is 47-46 percent a six point lead for McCain in West Virginia?

October 19, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  15. Marie

Obama gets his support from terrorists, racists, felons, and now a man who lied before the UN to start this horrible war. Who's next to endorse him, I wonder!

October 19, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  16. DB

You have a math error here:

"Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-46 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004."

October 19, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  17. facts are facts

I watched an interview with a woman who said she was voting for McCain because she saw Sara Palin buying diapers in Walmart and she was a hunter.

My immediate reaction is Phil Gramm must be right when he said the recession is just a mental recession and Americans are a bunch of whiners. Otherwise people like the aforementioned woman would have put a little more emphasis on the issues and the economy instead of her reasons for supporting Sara Palin.

October 19, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  18. Diane CA

I doubt Obama can win in West Virginia....there is something about the people in WV that no matter who they are will never vote for a person of color. It has been instilled in them since an early age Too badthey believe the way they do, but they sure will reap the rewards of an Obama presidency.

October 19, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  19. BM

I notice CNN keeps mentioning the Bradley Effect. Is this what they are secretly really hoping?

October 19, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  20. John

The polls are meaningless. Why don't you quit mentioning them?

October 19, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  21. s.m

I really belive in Obama/Biden ticket this is what I've waited a life time to see and I've already voted for them in ohio.As did my husband

October 19, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  22. BJGT

Since the economic downturn began in December 2007, the United States has lost over 600,000 jobs, and the national unemployment rate has risen to a five-year high of 6.1%. States most affected are concentrated largely in the Pacific West, Midwest, and South Atlantic regions, and are led by Michigan (8.9%), Rhode Island (8.5%), California (7.7%), and Mississippi (7.7%)..

October 19, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  23. ABC OH

That is why Obama is going to lose-gloating! He thinks he has won already. But no one I know has voted yet! And I see streets lined with McCain signs. So go ahead and gloat – you may regret it soon.

October 19, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  24. marvinohio

I think we are going to see the reverse of the Bradley effect in this election, people are going to go in vote for wallet and pocketbooks and forget the race thing, some of McCain's storngest supporter are going to vote for Obama and not tell anyone because in their hearts they know Obama/ Bidden are best for the county....

October 19, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  25. charles

I watched the dinner and comedy presentations by the canidates. I think it was to funny and great relief from the normal campain. I must say, that when John Mccain does not "pull this off" maybe he can find a job as a stand up comedian and i hope it includes medical coverage for him and his.

October 19, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |