October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Ade

According to CNN:.........."Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-46 percent"

How is 47-46 a 6 point lead?

October 19, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  2. Luna in South Carolina

I can only hope that the younger generation in these key battleground states takes up the reins on this dark and dreary trail we've been continuously led to these past eight years...
    I myself, being a young liberal in South Carolina, one of the 'Bible belt states', feel that this state wouldn't be blue if Republicans announced they were going to burn the Southern states to the ground. But finally, for the first time, it would seem, there is actually a candidate reaching out to young voters, as we find ourselves inheriting the disaster that is modern America. Take control! Like the Oregonian said, Vote for Obama-Biden 2008!

October 19, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. Rickymo

Obama was right. The Dems have a way of losing at the end. We cannot let this happen.

October 19, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. waxwing069

For the longest time in my town, all I saw in front lawns was the signs for the Repubs.Made me wonder why these people had thier heads in the ground. but now The past week or two, have been seeing more and more Obama/Biden going up... Am going to ask my apt. manager if I can put up a Obama sign by my apartment... Obama is our best hope to climb out of this abyss 8 years of mismanagement and leadership has gotten us into...

Obama/Biden all the way......

October 19, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Nicholas Pierotti

If this is true, why haven't you updated your CNN election tracker website? I just reloaded it and it still shows McCain with the lead.

October 19, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. minerva2005

I agree, vote for Obama, vote for change !!

October 19, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  7. Tim MN.

Minnesota is far from being a "swing state" CNN please. Oregonian for Obama were you quoting Lenin or Marx there dude?

October 19, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  8. Kentucky

I agree its time to take back our country from the money hungry Republicans that have lured the uninformed with smoke and mirrors. The snake oil salesman of the McCain/Palin campaign will go down in history as the most inscrutable campaign ever!

October 19, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  9. Cameron

How is it that '47-46' constitutes a six-point lead? Either West Virginia has different rules of arithmetic, or someone needs to work on their copy/paste skills.

October 19, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  10. Hankers

McCain: 'I love being the underdog'... Ha! Better get used to it! I wonder how the rest of the Republicans like being the underdog?

October 19, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  11. brenda malcolm

I have been following this election from the start & i think cnn is in the tank for Obama You don't talk about his bad points &there are many. OBAMA IS SLICK. Go usa .Stop screaming we're better than everyone else . your record isn't too good at picking a leader so far. I stopped watching your program 4 mnths. ago because of your bias.News media should not pick the next president.

October 19, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  12. charles

John Mccain has accused Barack Obama's ideas as being socialist, Well, President Bush and John Mccain's polices have created and will continue to create a culture of Nobles and Surfs. These trickle down economics did not work in the past and will not work in the future.

October 19, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  13. MikeH

Colin Powell backs Barack?

Well, John McCain has the backing of Henry Kisenger (wanted war criminal), Jame Baker (engineered the Republican Theft of the 2000 presidential election), and Alexander Haig (tried to usurp executive authority when Reagan got shot). So there.

October 19, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  14. Matt

If people want to talk about Ayers why aren't they talking about McCain and Gordon Liddy.

October 19, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  15. breh

Joe ain't a Plumber and Palin ain't a VP. Don't be fooled by the nonsense of the GOP. Move forward America and let's change the direction of this country. The world is watching and waitng for us to return to our place of prominence!

October 19, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  16. outsider

Obama is the right man to lead us at this time of our history. But be careful, Obama supporters! It's not over until it's over. You have to vote first!

McCain/Palin is joke. No substance. It's a shame for their party and the country. Surprisingly, there are still people voting for them. Have you asked the question why? Something wrong.

October 19, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  17. Priscilla

I am an Obama supporter and I believe people will come through for Obama at the polls. McSame is now throwing around socialism. I am surprised that any American would believe anything McSame says given that he changes his position with the wind. McSame doesn't stand for anything that's why Obama got Colin Powell's vote. Colin Powell says it best.

Go Obama – Change we can believe in.

October 19, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  18. AZ Senior

In essence, McCain/Palin inspire division, hate and distrust – while Obama/Biden just inspire.

October 19, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  19. Winnie Hussein.... in Montana

Amen to the previous comment. Very astute. I've been listening to Palin's stump speeches this weekend and all she does is lie. McCain just attacks and lies, as well. Biden and Obama on the other hand talk about the issues and how they affect ALL Americans, not just his base supporters or Joe the Plumber. I'm about sick to death of Joe the Plumber.

October 19, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  20. Bring America Back!

I am in MD and my family from WV just left here after a visit. I can tell you that they are voting for Obama. They said that is the talk down there in them hills. They are ashamed they voted not one, but, two times for Bush and they want to break the cycle. We'll see...

October 19, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  21. a neutral observer

Oh wow! This race is going to be close it certain states. I have been watching this space and the comments posted for the past 2 months. Sen.Obama sure has a lead, but I implore all my AMERICAN friends to vote and vote early if possible! The WORLD simply cannot afford another four years of Republican arrogance. Honestly, I am scared of Sarah Palin and the hate that she is fueling. Vote and Vote for Obama! God bless you all

October 19, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  22. Don Corleone

USA!!!!! wake up, and vote for OBAMA/BIDEN. This is your chance to re-build USA. I can see the new face of USA from this young man.

Obama/Biden O8!!!!!

October 19, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  23. JA Juneau

Please forward this comment to John McCain:

Racism is alive and well in the United States. Sarah Palin is the new leader. She has attracted fringe hate groups. Attending her rallies is like attending a Klu Klux Klan meeting, with Sarah smiling benevontly upon her admirers while they yell, " Kill em!" "Go Sarah go!" "Drill baby drill!"

October 19, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  24. ATL Joe

2 weeks to go baby. everything they try lately will blow up in thier face just like joe the fake plumber.

October 19, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  25. Will you vote out of fear?

CNN poll of polls is useless.

Stop trying to make this a horserace.

October 19, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |