October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. The Bluest Skies are in Seattle

Gotta love these guys .
    Obama/Biden 08/12

October 19, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  2. Fariba

For too long we have had "fire". Fire in our policies, fire in our foreign relations, fire in our hearts. It is time for somebody like Obama who is the epitome of "water" energy, non-resistant yet powerful, embracing friend and foe alike. It is time for some water to put out some of the fires burning around this globe.

October 19, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  3. hockey democrat mama without liptick

skate calm and steady...pretty is as pretty does

October 19, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  4. Arvind patel

Gen.Collin powell recognised the importance of moving country in the right direction and supported a dem candidate appreciating the qualification and wisdom,not bringing the republican ethics in his own judjument.Every american who cares for the country should take the very example of Gen.powell and make the decision for the country.Job well done Sir.Powell.

October 19, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  5. mangubs

yeah right

October 19, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. Former Republican in Texas

Folks, don't get complacent because Obama's poll numbers are up. Stranger things have happened than someone losing despite a big poll advantage!!! Vote!! If you can vote early or absentee, do so! That way you don't risk long lines or machine failures on Nov. 4. (And we know that's going to happen, don't we???!!!)

I was a die-hard Republican for a long long time, but George W. Bush & Dick Cheney changed all that. Folks, how you could support McCain/Palin right now just stuns me. My brother who retired about 5 years ago is going to have to find a job again because he's lost so much during the last couple of years plus the price of everything is up. He worked 35 years & thought he was safe in his retirement, but a national debt now beyond anyone's imagination & the entire country in financial turmoil changed all that. My better half doesn't have clue when he might finally be able to retire. He's gone thru employment hell the last couple of years & our retirement savings have plummeted. We just can't continue along the lines of the Republican party any longer. Something has to change!!!

And people who don't look hard at Sarah Palin need a reality check. If McCain is elected, the odds are not with him that he'll finish out his term. Age & his cancer history work against him. I'm sorry, but the thought of Palin in office just scares the bejesus out of me. I would LOVE to see a woman in that office– but it needs to be a woman who is actually qualified to hold that position. And Palin isn't qualified to be dog catcher– let alone an office with the kind of responsibilities of President or Vice President. The woman is clueless. And she obviously is a hateful vengeful person. Please, pay attention to what this woman says– we do not need her in Washington!

I'm sure many of my bigoted relatives are turning over in their graves, but it's time for us to put the right person in that office now– and that guy is Barack Obama this time around.

October 19, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. Mitch

Everyone needs to vote. Don't just say you support a candidate, go out and vote for them. We'll spend an hour driving to the store to get a treat for ourselves...voting takes less time.

October 19, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  8. Joi

I am a democrat voter that just moved to Ohio. I am hoping the momentum of change keeps rolling to change Ohio from red to blue.
    I am very impressed with Colin Powell's endorsement. If you are undecided listen to his reasoning. He said it best.
    As for the McCain?Palin antics as of late, they are running scared.

October 19, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  9. carolyn gay

i am sick of joe the plumer cant he even talk about everyone like factory workers i dont think joe is your average joe

October 19, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  10. Monica

May God continue to bless and protect the both of you!

Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  11. joe six pack

Why giving large tax breaks and bailouts to the rich and corporations is always called by republicans "helping the country and the American people" and when the time comes to give help to THE REAL PEOPLE, then they call it "Socialism"?

I mean, dont regular joe six pack and joe the plumbers have the right to being helped by the government too?

Isn't the American government for the people?

Am I missing something in the republican argument?

October 19, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  12. Eric (Houston)

Although we are all following the national polls it's the swing states that will decide this election. Don't let us down!

Go Obama!!!

October 19, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  13. Dan

I actually believe the odds are against Obama winning. The polls will tighten before election day, and the Republican election cheating machine perfected in the last two Presidential elections is still very much a factor.

October 19, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  14. Poetic Justice

I think he should just write off West Virginia and Kentucky and expand resources in the states he has an excellent chance to win. Those two states will never support an African-American. It is a waste of money. He does not need them to win. Too many of us have his back. Work harder in the state where the polls are close and leave the racist ones for McCain and Palin, although there are some good supportive people in those two states too. He just can't win there.

October 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  15. Arlene-- Illinois

Did anyone catch John McCain on Fox News this morning,
    boy did he come across as an old angry man.
    But then again he's "got em just where he wants em"

October 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  16. Bob Stephens

McNasty and Sarah, put a fork in it, it's over...

October 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  17. Big O in NJ

It really is a good thing that the polls are starting to reflect the true direction the American people want to move in. The negativity of the GOP and McCain/Palin is not only divisive, it's appalling. The Powell endorsement this morning ought to really help out with the undecideds.

October 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  18. Richard expat in London

I'm an expat and up to now have been an independent voter. After having seen Colin Powell's endorsement on this morning's Meet the Press, I have cemented my absentee vote for Obama. I encourage other ex-pats to help us bring back respect for America (and Americans) and put Senator Obama in the White House so that the repair can be started.

Richard Thwaites
    America ex-pat in the UK

October 19, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  19. Sirel for Obama/Biden

I agree with everything Oregonian for Obama/Biden said. Possibilities are endless for Obama/Biden we just need to stick together and help them out as much as we can. WE NEED THIS CHANGE people.. Its time to grow up and look past skin color and look deep into the issues and who wants to help us most and best. Needless to say, that person is Obama.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08,12

October 19, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. down to the stretch - ready for a new change

Obama needs to heavily campaign in Ohio and Florida until 11/4 for a sure win.

October 19, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. Virginian for Obama

The Republican party has moved so far right that it keeps losing centrist republicans and independents daily.

Vote on November 4 th !!

October 19, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  22. JJ

Yes, we cannot let up until all of the votes are in on November 4th.

October 19, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  23. Nate

I walked by a McCain / Palin booth in my fairly Democratic hometown today. I ran into my best friend's old step dad there, and he tried to convince me to donate $1 to McCain. "They're not getting a penny of my money" I said. He yelled "traitor" jokingly as I walked away. It upset me. We are ALL Americans here, and the Republicans seem to think they own the American flag. Barack Obama is the best thing that could happen to this country right now. We're lucky to have him running with the sorry state the Republicans have left our country in.

I rushed home and donated $15 to Obama. I can't wait to put in my vote on the 4th.

Obama / Biden

October 19, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  24. Gerry in Va. for Obama.

I AM SO HAPPY THAT A MAN OF TRUE COURAGE AND VALUES (AS IN COLIN POWELL) HAS GIVEN HIS ENDORSEMENT TO A MAN OF TRUE VALUES AND COURAGE (AS IN BARACK OBAMA.) IF ONLY OTHERS IN THE REPUBLICAN PARTY HAD THE TRUE COURAGE AND VALUES TO DO THE SAME. THE COURAGE TO TELL WHAT EVER DEVIL HAS HOLD OF (WHO IS CALLING THEMSELVES THE REPUBLICAN PARTY NOW) THAT THEY ALSO WANT THEIR COUNTRY BACK AND THEY WON'T TAKE THE WAY THIS GROUP OF EVIL IS TRYING TO RUN OUR COUNTRY TOTALLY INTO HELL. ... COME ON, YOU REAL OLD TIME REPUBLICANS, STAND UP AND TELL JOHN MC CAIN, WHO HAS SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE DEVIL, TO GO HOME AND CLEAN UP HIS SOUL SO THAT WE MAY HAVE THE OLD JOHN MC CAIN BACK..... AND JUST TELL SARAH PALIN TO GO HOME....

October 19, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |