October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. carol

Well, it seems to me that the fat lady has sung..........Goodnight McCain/Palin!!

October 19, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. BKoi

Colin Powell endorsed Obama , MCcain and his Disasta from Alaska can kiss their greed and lust for power goodbye! These two are not fit to call themselves Lovers of America! They are power hungry rightwingers with fascist policies, who will bring grievous harm to your great nation ,and the world. Obama and Biden will bring America back to it's once great leadership of the free world. Once again Americans can travel, without fear, and being hated around the world! I look forward to President Obama coming to Canada , to huge crowds of his supporters here! I envy you this great leader , you as a nation , are truly blessed that he will be your next President !

October 19, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  3. No More Smoke And Mirrors

Not only did Powell endorse Obama, but his critique of the McCain campaign is SCATHING!

October 19, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  4. Tracey

It is time to turn the entire country blue! These are new times and we must all move with the times! It is time for a new generations of leaders and leave the past as a part of history!

October 19, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  5. John

I feel in my heart that Obama will be our next PResident. This is Indeed beyond wonderful!

October 19, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  6. MemeForObama

I hope obama shook hands with that little black boy. he was really stretching trying to shake hands with him. I've always supported obama and will like to see the real video. Dont ignore black folks now, we're all ruling for u.

Obama '08

October 19, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  7. Steve Martin

Now is the time to press even harder. It scares me to death that McCain might catch and continue the downward spiral of this country. Vote, take someone with you, talk to people, Even one convert helps. Heck, I've created at least 5 myself!

By the way, I'm in Georgia for a week and my hat is off to small group who has operated an Obama office in Fannin County, the most Republican county in the state, without one dime of support from the campaign. Great work.

Thanks Gen. Powell.

October 19, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  8. vic

He has my vote, and the votes of my family.
    I think the Obama Movement is a great thing for our country – it shows that we've had enough and we're going to take our great country out of the hands of those that are destroying us.
    Millions of supporters bacn Senator Obama – and his fundraising proves it. AND, Obama needs all the financial support he can get in order to fight the smears, attacks, lies, hate and fear mongering from the McCain-Palin bunch.
    SO, stop with the 'Obama didn't take the public funds like McCain did" because Obama needs the money to fight the republican smear machine.
    Vote Democratic and lets get our country back on track!
    God Bless the USA!

October 19, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  9. lil

Leading is no good if you dont vote.

October 19, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  10. Rafael Solis

The tsunami for change is shapen up.

October 19, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  11. Carol Martin

"Pouring resources into WV to turn it blue" is good, but maybe we
    also need to save some cash to repay Hillary and to shore up the
    DNC.

October 19, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  12. janiece

Just make sure you vote or it all will be for nothing..... it will all mean nothing. Don't think everyone else will do it and stay at home!!! Don't get frustrated waiting in long lines to vote!! Stay calm and steady...... A few hours is worth a lifetime of change for America and our future!!!!

October 19, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Voter

First of all I hate this poll of polls garbage. Have you noticed they use different polls depending on what they want the poll to show. Now they dont even tell you what polls they are using.

With that said,

We cant take it for granted that Obama is going to win. EVERYONE NEEDS to go out and vote for Obama. We dont want to loose this one in the last few minutes.

October 19, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. peggy

i m voting early ,like tomorrow ! Yes,pat buchanan,for Barack!Your "Gal" can go back to Alaska,and maybe ,just maybe,she can clean up her mess,if the people will let her.They are mad at her ,They have discovered that she lies.Trust means a lot to a lot of people!
    And I dont trust her or McCain.
    peg

October 19, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  15. Kora New York/Chicago

Well pool again shrinks ...because FOX channel doing campaigning 24h /a day and Gleen Back and his wired friends on CNN as well. I do have conspiracy theory that some how Bush and his clones will not give up that easy ....I simply don't understand how and who can vote for MC Cain... today Freed Zakaria very clearly said how dangerous will be to choose MC Cain We may have war with Russia Iran and list can go on VOTE FOR OBAMA PLEASE

October 19, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  16. vic

AND, I forgot to add, I love Joe Biden! He's a real man of the people and his career proves it.
    He cares about people, he really does. And his "violence against women" bill did more for women that anything.
    I admire and respect this big hearted man that loves our country – and I love his gaffes! He makes me LOL, and I do it with kindness in my heart. I don't laugh at him, I laugh with him.
    I work hard each and every day to help Senators Obama and Biden – and I pray they win this election.
    God Bless our country!

October 19, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  17. colleen from canada

Wow, and endorsment from Colin Powel!!! Oh, i know, they will say it is because he is African American....NOT!!! It is because he wants an intelligent person in office, unlike the last eight years. PLEASE, PLEASE SAVE US IN CANADA FROM A MCCAIN/PALIN TICKET...

October 19, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  18. carol

I agree with previous bloggers, we need to get out and vote early for
    Sen Obama, we don't want to leave anything to chance......we know the Republicans are getting annoyed and who knows what they will try next!!!!
    It is not over until all the votes are counted.....and we know how well that went in 2004 don't we?
    This election is far too important for us Dems and we want Sen Obama to win and he is doing such a great job on our behalf so far....so make sure you get everyone to vote as soon as possible and make all our votes count so we can get Sen Obama in the White House!!!!

October 19, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  19. a well educated woman

Go baby GOO!!! I gave Obama more money last week and will do it again this week, can't wait. But everyone keep pushing, I still run into great people who are still not sure, I go over all the great policies that the Obama campaign will do. I say, Obama wants to give us all the ability to have healthcare, as a right. I tell them that McCain just wants to give us a 5K credit. Then I tell them that the health insurance I have on the free market is $1500 a month, so I would get 2 and 1/2 months free, then would still have to cough up $10,000 for the rest of the year. I think I would like the Obama plan which either gives me better premiums on what I pay know or something like a Universal plan, where everyone has the same coverage. If that doesn't get them, then I go into their economic situation. That usually does it.

October 19, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  20. Joseph Janerique

This is good news. For all of us that support Barack Obama, this is great. We need to continue in the same way, always supportive of a man who, holds the key to changing Usa. Aldo a lot of issues have been brought up, there shouldn´t be any issue, about who to vote for. We all know Barack is the right choice....

October 19, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  21. qpq

"That One" is coming. You know, the One we have been talking about all these years. The one McCain identified through anger but also in fact! His ascent to leadership has been through the fire of criticism and attack by every manner of creep and he just keeps on without fighting back all the lies. People have seen his qualities and now the table is set...the curtains are being pulled and soon the sheep will have a voice.

October 19, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  22. Anonymous

My mother always said dont count your eggs before they hatch. Stay focus. Keep our eyes on the prize. Dont get distracted. Vote and bring as many people as possible.

October 19, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  23. Change Is Uh Comin

Vote Early, Vote Obama !!!!! We Needs Change....

October 19, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  24. Vinson

Its funny how racist and inept this country is. When an African-American mentions something about race, white people are the first to say, "Stop playing the race card!" However, when Colin Powell endorses Obama for President, the first thing lots of white people say is "He only endorsed Obama because they're both black!"

Wait a minute – isn't that playing the race card? Its ok for a white person to bring up race, but when a black person brings it up, then they're playing the race card??

I DARE you to try and explain this anomaly.

October 19, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  25. kayla

Im so happy Obama is doing so well. I cant help but to think, that the GOP is going to do everything in the world to stop the waive of new voters. Its been done in the past and despite what the polls say everyone needs to get out and vote on the 4th. There are going to be long line and excuses. We wont be stopped, We cant be stop we are one nation with one voice and its time that OUR voice is heard!!!!!

October 19, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |