October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Richard

The polls likely show that those states are sick and tired of the lies and smears from the McCain-Palin gang with the humorous hypocritical motto of "Country First".

October 19, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  2. JOe Shmoe

i want a map of the key battle ground states

October 19, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  3. No more McPain

I was visiting my home state of WV and saw signs for Obama everywhere. I will be so proud if they can pull off a win. Go West Virginia! Make us proud!

October 19, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  4. Dan, TX

Thank you General Powell. A REAL hero votes for Obama. I will too. Join us. Obama/Biden 08

October 19, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  5. Zalmay

I think John should just give up go for Obama

October 19, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  6. charzie NY

Barack Obama has stood the test of time in this election.....he is soooo close. The Republicans have pulled every stunt imaginable up to now to try to eliminate "that one". Democrats need to stick together and keep talking Obama up in our circle of friends, neighbors, relatives and anyone who cares about our country. Palin was the poorest of poor choices for our country into whose hands all of our fates may end up. Just think about that.....the divisive person that she is will only divide the USA up even further....so much so that there will be very little left of the original makeup of this (once) great country. McCain should go back to Arizona and live out his days peacefully, not trying to take on the country and the world at his age...

October 19, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  7. Bobby

I agree. Get out and vote early!
    This nation wants REAL Change!

October 19, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  8. PoliticoMike

I like that:
    "DON'T GLOAT, JUST VOTE"!

October 19, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  9. Gerri Ward

It;s quite obvious Obama is leading however as the race closes in, McCain is going to pull some nasty tricks that are going to backfire on he and his other lying half.

October 19, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  10. Patricia in Ohio

That's right!!!! Everyone needs to get out and vote early. My husband and I are going to vote early here in Ohio. We can still vote up thru election day. I am not going to say that it is in the bag. You know those republicans will try everything under the sun to steal this election from Obama. We can't let that happen. Please get out and vote early.

October 19, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  11. OurnextPresident

Our next President will be Senator Barack Obama I can't wait to celebrate.

October 19, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  12. anyonmous

hey what happened to the last republican who won new hamsphere

October 19, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  13. BlackMan4Mac

Well, now you have it. He is getting ready for his wars in Africa. Obama, Odinga and Powell. Now everyone get ready to leave Iraq and go to Africa to fight Odinga, Obama's cousin's wars. And they say McCain is third Bush term ??? I think not. Get ready for Obama to draft your young men and women to serve in his wars in Africa. And yes, he has said he will draft the females too. You get what you ask for.

October 19, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  14. robert turner

I am curious to know if Cheney, V.P. former CEO of Haliburton is one of the "Fat Cats" you high lite on your evening news?

October 19, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  15. texas voter

you betcha!

Go Obama/Biden 2008!!!!!!!!!!

October 19, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  16. hangdogit

McCain says he's glad to be the underdog and that he's got Obama just where he wants him. I wondered what had become of Bagdad Bob...

October 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. Farrell, Houston, Tx

VOTE Obama for your childrens' future because this granny is doing just that. There is no future in war, hate, and fear which ends to nothing more than self destruction. We are all in this together whether we like it or not. McCain has lived in the world the way it used to be and I am convinced Palin is McCain's choice because she aspires for us to live in a world that doesn't exist.

October 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  18. TF

Every time I talk to my stupid Republican friends from college they always say I'm a Liberal Socialist. Yet Bush has bailed out how many banks and airlines with free government chess. By the way most of my Republican friends cheated the whole way through college so that's why I can call them stupid.

October 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  19. Denise

It is ooh so over for McCain in both WI and MN. It has been f or weeks. It is ooh so over for mcCain, period.

October 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  20. phili

I think that we will win this election season but we as democrats can't take any for granted. November 4, I am taking off work to go voting and come back home to watch CNN to see how history unveil. I hope that day will not be a dissapoint one for me just like the past two election nights. I am a first time voter for a president and I can't hardly wait and I hope that I stay alive to see that day.

Obama/Biden

October 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  21. Ozark_Sunshine

eed to check each and every vote and throw out any where the person did not provide a valid ID. Obama and his people have already shown, along with the criminal organization ALCORN, that they can't be trusted and while taking illegal donations will do anything to steal this election since their candidate has no official record of accomplishments, of running anything, of writing budgets or of even being a working man. He is an empty shell who is doing everything he can illegal to win.

October 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  22. sandra /Irving Tx

We will go all the way. Your vote does count and make sure your voice is heard. Sen.Obama has not quit, so we must not. I would love to see Texas turn blue. If all the people who believe in Obama
    would go vote, Texas will turn blue. I am doing all I can to see to that happen. Texas must become blue.

Texas for
    Obama/Biden 2008

October 19, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  23. Lina

The surge in Iraq has saved many lives,thank god for McCain who pushed for the surge and used the right judgement. Iraq will actually be a free democratic country,that is somthing all americans should be proud of no matter what political party they are for. Now that there's hardly no more violence the media hardly ever reports on the progress. Another country freed because of the US. That's very good, so be proud.

October 19, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  24. Gezellig

It is important to vote not only to ensure the election of Barack Obama, but to give him a greater "mandate" to help him lead. We need to send a clear message that we want the changes Obama can bring. So avoid the temptation to stay home even if you feel he will easily win your state. Your vote still has meaning in sending a clear message. I am not sure it should be so, but a President has more power given the margin of their victory.

Also, regarding Colin Powell's endorsement, I would encourage everyone to watch what he said when endorsing Obama today (I am sure it is on the web somewhere). It was so well said and profound, that it almost brought me to tears.

Obama/Biden '08

October 19, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  25. Pat Pa.

Just returned from a trip to W.Virginia. Beautiful state and very nice people. They are suffering just like most of the rest of the country. They need help and they are never going to get any with McCain as President.
    Please W. Virginia, forget all of the negative reasons that you have for not voting for Obama. He is the only one that can help you as an individual and your state overall.

Vot Obama/Biden 08