October 19th, 2008

State polls show Obama with advantage in key battlegrounds

Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.
Obama holds an advantage in several key battlegrounds.

(CNN) - A string of new state polls suggests Barack Obama still holds an advantage in several key battleground states, and is within single digits in a state that has voted Republican in the last two presidential elections.

New CNN poll of polls in three swing states - Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - show the Illinois senator with a lead, while a new poll in West Virginia puts John McCain ahead.

In Ohio, the latest CNN poll of polls shows Obama with a 1 point lead over McCain, 47 to 46 percent while the Illinois senator has a 13 point lead in a Wisconsin poll of polls and a 8 point lead in a Minnesota poll of polls.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin voted for John Kerry in 2004 while Ohio has gone to the Republicans in the last two elections.

Meanwhile, a new NBC/Mason Dixon survey of West Virginia voters has John McCain with a 6 point lead there, 47-41 percent. It's a considerably smaller gap than the 13-point margin of victory President Bush garnered there in 2004.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in a taped-message to supporters Sunday that the campaign will be pouring resources into West Virginia during the final two weeks of the presidential race in hopes of turning it blue.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Jen, California

Go pound sand, Obamabots!

It's McCain/Palin because:

When all is said and done, Obama goes down in November due to two issues that won’t go away:

1. Jeremiah Wright
    2. Michelle Obama

These two issues won't go away - because they speak to the ESSENCE of who Obama is - and they will stick!

October 19, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  2. AVERAGE JOE

don't gloat . . . VOTE!!!!

Obama/Biden/Powell 08 &12

October 19, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  3. Old White Guy

Obama is leading in the polls because he has a message that we can understand and not some old guy waving his hands and telling lies.

I didn't think Obama would win and I was a very enthusiastic supporter of Hillary after Edwards dropped out but, now I see that Obama is the "ONLY" choice we have.\

McCain will drive this country into a deep depression with his same old economic policies give to the rich and let them trickle down – well we tried that and it DIDN'T WORK.

October 19, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Since when were Minnesota and Wisconsin considered swing states? Typically that moniker falls to states like Florida, Virginia, Ohio, Missouri, and Colorado. Seems like CNN's padding the news coverage for Obama again...

October 19, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  5. LeeAnn

I live in West Virginia and there is a new Obama sign that pops up in a yard in my subdivision everyday. I put my Obama/Biden sign in the yard 3 weeks ago. My husband and I are firm Obama supporters, and we encourage as many people as we can to vote Obama/Biden.

October 19, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  6. B.DeWolf

I agree 100% U cetainly say it correctly!!!!!! THANK_YOU!!!!! VOTE/OBAMA !!!!!

October 19, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  7. great president or greatest president ever

This is a day long in coming.

So what arrogant thing will the GOP quip now??

The fear ends now. We don't have to be afraid like the GOP says.

October 19, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  8. Dori in AZ

There are two things riding on this election: Truth or consequences.

If we vote for Obama and Biden, we get the truth.

If we vote for McCain and Palin, we get the consequences.

I know that sometimes the truth hurts, but I also know that it sets us free. And, I'll vote for truth, no matter how much it hurts, over lies that always wind up hurting worse....

Obama – Biden '08!

October 19, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. EBJ

there are some in the media that are trying to throw this so -called "Bradley Effect" into the mix and I doubt if some present voters even remember what it is or how it happened. Hopefully our country has gotten past that though I'm sure there are a few that will either vote or not vote for that reason. No matter who you chose to vote for PLEASE do the American thing and VOTE. Then sit back on Nov. 4th and watch the numbers change.

October 19, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  10. Anonymous

go barack go.

October 19, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  11. Shawn

Exactly! I'm so ready for November 4th to come so this thing can be over. I also hope people don't get so into the polls and what some of the media is saying that they start the endzone dance at the ten yard line. We gotta push this through and go harder than ever!

October 19, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  12. SW,OHIO

To all Ohioian's; I hope everyone is looking at the big picture. My dad, a white, 72 year old man, that I thought would never vote for a black man, because of the way he was raised and the way he raised us, voted early last week for Barrack Obama. What a wonderful surprise! I am so proud of my dad for looking at the future of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I hope all of Ohioian's can see what my DAD SEES! Senator Obama needs us just as bad as we need him!!!

October 19, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  13. Jules

Why doesn't Obama pour his money instead into West Virginia's schools and social programs? Into his own state's schools, like the ones in Chicago where the students have to rely on help from churches such as mine for pencils, paper, backpacks, etc.?

October 19, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  14. Minnesota for McCain

Obama/Binden 2008? Well, yes please, all illiterate people vote for Obama/BINDEN. Luckily, your votes don't count anyways, because you won't know which mark to make, and your worthless opinion will be placed where it belongs, in the trash.

McCain-Palin 2008
    Country First

October 19, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  15. nick

Four out of five people I have talked to won't vote for obama because of his race or they think he is a terrorist. It's very sad actually because they don't even care about the issues. I hope everyone who supports obama will get out to the polls and follow through till the end, because this country needs a change, and all the racist, prejudice, and simply idiotic voters don't have a clue.

October 19, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  16. Floridians for Obama

Don't Gloat........Vote

October 19, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  17. Lou R

The McCain campaign with Bush Administration background support will continue their efforts to capture the media cycle to push the undecided their way. This included international events, robocalls, attack ads and mailings, personal slander against anyone and everyone i.e., Colin Powell after his Obama endorsement. The Republican Party does there sort of things well, and govern poorly. It is important for the voters to get out early and vote before the polling place intimidation begins. There will likely be attempts to steal votes like what is happening in West Virginia. The key, as previously posted, is staying engaged in promoting an Obama Presidency to regain the fading American Dream.

October 19, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  18. Hip Hop Producers for Obama/Biden

ABSOLUTELY OREGONIAN!!!!! PEOPLE IF YOU CAN GET OUT AND VOTE EARLY PLEASE DO SO. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT YOUR VOTE DOES NOT COUNT. PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T THINK THEIR VOTE COUNTED IN 2004 AND DID NOT GET OUT AND VOTE...WELL ALL I CAN SAY IS TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE ECONOMY! THEN TAKE A LOOK AT THAT YELLOW TOOTHED, WOLF IN A SUIT WITH NO NECK MCCAIN!!!

October 19, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  19. The Artful Dodger

West Virginians seem to, once again, be allowing themselves to be tricked by low ball tactics. It'll be interesting to see what effect the McCain – Palin Hate Express has on the idiocracy of rural America.

October 19, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  20. Worried

Let us all get out there and vote now. I guess that if we do it now, this Mc-shame thing will no longer be something to worry about. Can you see! He is even getting more and more negative than before, who knows what they are planing tomorrow. PLEASE! Let us do it now, i mean now. We can win this elections.

October 19, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  21. BruhMan

Already voted!!! I gave McCain-Palin a chance. Through both party conventions, the debates, and as the campaign went on...there was absolutely, positively, nothing that appealed to me about the McCain-Palin ticket. John McCain WAS an honorable guy. My wife felt insulted that he picked Palin based on a "matrix" strategy suggesting Barack Obama had trouble getting white, suburban, age 40-60, women to vote for him. Strike one. John McCain insulting veterans by saying Barack Obama "blew" the troops off when we went on his Afghanistan-Iraq-Germany-France-Great Britain trip. John McCain didn't even go across the country to vote on the 21st Century GI Bill of Rights legislation. Strike two. John McCain demoted Schmidt, and hired Rick Davis. Ran a campaign based on everything he's against...and wants the American public to remember the "maverick". Yeah, right!!! Strike three. You're out John McCain!!!

October 19, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  22. Shame Shame I Know your name GOP

I agree Oregonian. Question for any GOP who wants to answer. How is it that your poster boy "Joe the Plummer" says that he hates the media, but he is giving interviews? I think he loves the attention. I am so ready for Nov. 4. I will be at the polls as soon as the doors open to cast my vote for Sen. Obama and Biden.

October 19, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  23. Ask Sarah to define "Socialism"

Please... someone... anyone... Joe the Plummer, a soccer mom or dad, even a pig with lipstick... Ask Sarah if she even knows what "socialism" is and how it applies to Obama!!!

All she's doing is stirring the hate/fear base of "real" America who might be convinced by such shameful, wrong rhetoric. McCain, himself, should know better and put a stop to it... because it harms ALL of America...

This is exactly the kind of baiting Colin Powell was talking about that has caused him to reject the GOP this year...

October 19, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  24. Red Dog

We have to get this country back working.
    I supported McCain in 2000 and in most of this election, but now
    to me the clear capable candidate out of the two is Obama.....We
    have to get this country back working.....Period!
    GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

October 19, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  25. JB in Wayne, NJ

I hope Obama competes for real in WV. Earlier polls showed him gaining on McCain here. He should make a couple of personal appearances in WV to introduce himself in person. I think that might have a similar affect that JFK's visit had in 1960. Obama would be foolish to ignore this state now. He has to make the connection through personal appearances. These people are really Democrats at heart but conservative Democrats that he has to convince.

October 19, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |